Connect with us

News

Emirate Crisis:Bayero’s Lawyers Withdraw From Case

Published

on

Emir Aminu Ado Bayero at the event
Deposed Emir of Kano Aminu Ado Bayero

Legal representatives of the deposed Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, in the ongoing Kano emirate tussle have withdrawn their services in the case before the State High Court.

The action by the legal representatives is to show their dissatisfaction on a ruling earlier by the Court not granting stay of proceedings in the matter.

When the matter came up for hearing, counsel to the first respondent, Abdul Muhammed, SAN, told the court that there is an affidavit of fact, it has a motion of appeal and notice of stay of proceedings in the registry.

“When a judge of a high Court is aware of application in a higher court, the notification in the dependency in the lower court must be in affidavit of facts. It is expected that at a trial court should stop the hearing on the matter pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.”

Muhammed urged the court to stay the proceedings pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

He told the court that they were served with the court processes on Thursday morning.

He sought an adjournment that would enable them to respond but the court refused his prayers.

He therefore announced his withdrawal of service from the case.

Advert

Also a member of the team, Barrister Sanusi Musa. SAN, announced on behalf of the other counsels for the first respondent, their withdrawal from the case.

He told the court that, “myself and other counsels apply for the withdrawal of our representation and appearances.”

On their part, counsel to the third, fourth and fifth respondents, Hassan Tanko Kyaure, told the court that they have filed an application for an extension of time dated July 2 and counter affidavit in response to the originating motion.

Kyaure urged the court to set aside the Kano State emirates council repealed law as due process were not followed and urged the court to dismiss the application with the cost of N1 billion.

Counsel to the sixth respondent, Sunday Ekwe, told the court that they have nothing to present so they left everything to the discretion of the Court.

Counsel to the applicant, Eyitayo Fatogun, urged the court to discountenance the motion of affidavit of facts pursuant to order 39 rule 1 and 2 of the Court.

Counsel to the applicant, Eyitayo Fatogun, urged the court to discountenance the motion of affidavit of facts pursuant to order 39 rule 1 and 2 of the Court.

“The motion refers to a proposed notice of appeal not a notice of appeal. The filing of notice of appeal does not guarantee the stay of proceedings. It shows that the affidavit of facts is just to delay the proceedings. My lord the business of today is for the hearing of all pending applications.”

He urged the court to dismiss the third, fourth and fifth respondents application on the issue of repealed law because the issue is not before the Court.

Earlier in her ruling, the Judge, Justice Amina Adamu Aliyu, refused to grant the application for the stay of proceedings.

The affidavit is unknown to the rules of Court. The respondent did not disclose any special fact to warrant any stay of proceedings.”

She therefore adjourned the case to July 18 to rule on the applications of extension of time, notice of preliminary objection, setting aside exparte order, joinder application, examining deponent, application for the judge to recuse herself and originating summon.

Reports indicate that the applicants are the Attorney General of Kano State, Speaker Kano State House of Assembly and Kano State House of Assembly, through their counsel Ibrahim Isah Wangida Esq, filed a motion exparte dated May 27.

Daily Trust

News

Breaking:Ramadan Cresecent Sighted In Saudi Arabia

Published

on

— The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted in Saudi Arabia, confirming that the holy month will begin on Wednesday.

The announcement followed reports from authorized moon sighting committees across the Kingdom, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

With the confirmation, Muslims across Saudi Arabia will begin fasting at dawn on Wednesday, observing the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar with prayers, reflection and charitable acts.

Advert

Ramadan is a period of spiritual devotion marked by daily fasting from dawn to sunset, increased worship, and community gatherings.

Mosques across the Kingdom are preparing to receive worshippers for Taraweeh prayers, while authorities have finalized arrangements to ensure smooth services during the holy month.

Government entities and private institutions are also set to implement adjusted working hours in line with Ramadan schedules.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Drama in Reps as Lawmakers Reverse on Electronic Results, Opposition Walks Out

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The House of Representatives on Tuesday rescinded its earlier decision on Clause 60(3) of the Electoral Act amendment bill, adopting instead the version earlier passed by the Senate, which allows both electronic and manual transmission of election results.

The decision followed an emergency sitting and sparked protest from opposition lawmakers, who staged a walkout from the chamber while chanting, “APC, ole! APC, ole!” in open dissent.

The House had initially approved a stricter provision mandating compulsory electronic transmission of results from each polling unit to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Result Viewing (IREV) portal.

Advert

The earlier version stipulated that: “The Presiding Officer shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the IREV portal and such transmission shall be done after the prescribed Form EC8A has been signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and/or countersigned by the candidates or polling agents where available at the polling unit.”

However, at Tuesday’s sitting, lawmakers reconsidered the clause and aligned with the Senate’s version, which introduces a caveat in the event of technical failure.

Under the adopted provision, while electronic transmission remains mandatory, it provides that where such transmission fails due to communication challenges, making it impossible to upload results electronically, the manually completed Form EC8A—duly signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and countersigned by candidates or polling agents where available—shall remain the primary basis for collation and declaration of results.

The reversal has heightened political tension within the chamber, with opposition members expressing concern that the amendment could weaken safeguards around electronic transmission of election results.

Continue Reading

News

Health Ministry Enforces Federal Directive, Retires Directors with Eight Years’ Service

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Federal Ministry of Health has ordered an immediate disengagement of Directors who have spent at least eight years in the directorate cadre with immediate effect.

The directors affected include those in the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, among others, according to a memo sighted by our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday morning.

The Federal Government had, on Monday, directed all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies to enforce the eight-year tenure limit for directors and permanent secretaries, following a new deadline set through the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.

The memo announcing the enforcement of the order at the FMOH signed by the Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Health, Tetshoma Dafeta, reads, “Further to the Eight (8)-Year Tenure Policy of the Federal Public Service, which mandates the compulsory retirement of Directors after eight years in that rank, as provided in the Revised Public Service Rules 2021(PSR 020909) copy attached, I am directed to remind you to take necessary action to ensure that all affected officers who have spent eight years as Directors, effective 31st December, 2025, are disengaged from Service immediately.

Advert

“Accordingly, all Heads of Agencies and Parastatals are by this circular, to ensure that the affected staff hand over all official documents/possessions with immediate effect, their salaries are stopped by the IPPIS Unit and mandate the officers to refund to the treasury all emoluments paid after their effective date of disengagement.

“This is reiterated in a circular recently issued by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Ref. No. HSCF/3065/Vol.I/225, dated 10″ February 2026. A copy is herewith attached for guidance, please.

“In addition, you are to forward the nominal roll of all directorate officers
(CONMESS 07/CONHESS 15/CONRAISS 15)

“Failure to adhere to paragraph 2 above shall be met with stiff sanctions.”

Recall that in July 2023, the former Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Folasade Yemi-Esan, announced the commencement of the revised Public Service Rules.

Speaking at a lecture at the State House, Abuja, to mark the 2023 Civil Service Week, Yemi-Esan stated that the revised PSR took effect from July 27, 2023.

The Head of Service issued a circular addressed to Permanent Secretaries, the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Auditor-General for the Federation, and heads of extra-ministerial departments, informing them of the revised rules.

“Following the approval of the revised Public Service Rules (PSR) by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on September 27, 2021, and its subsequent unveiling during the public service lecture in commemoration of the 2023 Civil Service Week, the PSR has become operational with effect from July 27, 2023,” the circular read.

According to Section 020909 of the revised PSR, the tenure limit for permanent secretaries is four years, with a possible renewal based only on satisfactory performance.

The rules also stipulate that a director (GL 17) or their equivalent shall compulsorily retire after eight years in that position.

Continue Reading

Trending