Connect with us

News

Kogi Communities Jubilate as Dangote Cement Obajana Plant reopens

Published

on

There were huge scenes of jubilation among affected host communities following the Federal Government’s order for the immediate reopening of the Dangote Cement Plc plant at Obajana in Kogi State.

Members of the host communities from Iwaa, Oyo, Obajana, and Apata who spoke to newsmen said they could now heave a sigh of relief as the consequences of shutting down the factory were better imagined than described, a situation which was worsened with the recent ASUU strike that kept students at home across the country.

Recall that the National Security Council (NSC), chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, had Friday directed the reopening of the cement plant, after raising concerns about job losses, potential increase in criminality and resultant unemployment in the area and the State due to the shutdown.

Dangote: Our acquisition of Obajana Cement plant followed Due Process

Minister of Interior, Alhaji Rauf Aregbesola told newsmen that an agreement had been reached between the Dangote Group and the Kogi State Government on the need to reopen the factory, while urging both parties to respect the agreement.
Reacting to the latest directive, Secretary of the Association of Fresh Fish Dealers at the Obajana market, Mrs. Lola Adinu, told newsmen that her association members were overjoyed when the news came that the Federal Government had ordered the reopening of the factory.

Mallam Bala Dreba, a 50-year-old commercial motorist plying the 43km concrete Obajana-Kabba road that was constructed by Dangote Industries Limited, said travelers from the South and from the North were apprehensive about the security of the road and its environs since the recent invasion of the company by Government vigilantes. Dreba said the road is now the most important road network linking the Northern and Southern parts of Nigeria.

Commercial motorcyclists who brandished green leaves in victory were seen cruising in different directions on Friday evening and Saturday morning to celebrate the announcement by the Federal Government.

Advert

Adamu Ibrahim, a 45-year-old commercial motorcyclist, and father of four lamented that commercial activities had been paralysed after the invasion of the plant by thugs. He expressed joy that the situation is now reverting to the usual economic bustle in Obajana.

A community leader, Pa Isaac Ade, said the Federal Government’s announcement was welcomed with jubilation in his neighbourhood because the lives and the livelihood of the host communities revolve around Dangote Cement Plc.

“Without this company, the communities cannot survive, the markets cannot survive, the commercial motorcyclists cannot survive, and if I may add, this Local Government and the state, in general, will be badly affected,” Mr. Ade averred.

Dangote Cement Plc is the biggest taxpayer and employer of labour in Kogi State. The conglomerate is a part of the Dangote Industries Limited, which is also the second largest employer of labour in Nigeria after the government, as well as the highest private-sector taxpayer to the Federal Government.

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), the Trade Union Congress (TUC), and the Shareholders Associations in Nigeria, had all berated the Kogi State Government over the invasion and the closure of the cement company.

In the same vein, the Nigerian Association of Chamber of Commerce Industry Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA), the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) as well as the Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI) were among groups who condemned the invasion of the Dangote Cement plant, saying the move was capable of driving away investors in the country.
The associations said the hasty move by the state in resorting to self-help could send the wrong signal to investors within and outside the country.
Peter Dare, a businessman at the Obajana main market described the closure situation as worrisome, but added that activities in the market were picking up soon after the government ordered the reopening of the factory. He said thousands of people would have been impoverished if the company was not reopened.
At Iwaa, location of the multi-million naira hospital built by the Dangote Cement Plc, the story was the same, as residents were jubilating that the Federal Government waded into the crisis and rescued the situation.
A Septuagenarian, who sought anonymity, said he had been wondering how he would offset the tuition fees of his two children in the university following the calling off of the eight-month-old industrial action by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Some of the Dangote Cement staff who are indigenes of Kogi State welcomed with excitement the intervention of the Federal Government. They had earlier expressed fear that the closure would have sent them out of jobs.
Dangote Cement Plc Obajana Plant had said that most of its workforce, and technical students at the Dangote Academy situated in Obajana are indigenes from Kogi State.

In a statement, the Advocacy Centre for Industrialisation in Africa (ACIA) had expressed regret that the invasion and forceful closure of the Dangote Cement Plc at Obajana has cast a shadow on the Ease of Doing Business in the state.

The Arewa Youth Assembly, a conglomeration of youth groups in the 19 northern states had vehemently condemned the Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello, describing his closure moves as a war against employment and the youth.

News

Bank of Ghana Appoints Prof. Bashir to Chair Islamic Banking Council

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Bank of Ghana has appointed Professor Bashir Aliyu Umar, a distinguished Islamic scholar from Nigeria’s Bayero University, Kano (BUK), as chairman of its newly constituted council for interest-free (Islamic) banking operations.

Governor Johnson Pandit Asiama formally inaugurated the council members during a brief ceremony in Accra. Professor Umar, a seasoned lecturer in Islamic studies at BUK, will lead the body in ensuring that Ghana’s non-interest banking sector operates in full compliance with Sharia law and its associated ethical principles.

Advert

The appointment marks a significant step for Ghana’s financial sector, underscoring the central bank’s commitment to diversifying its banking landscape amid the rapid global expansion of Islamic finance.

Umar’s selection also highlights the increasing reliance on expert scholarly oversight to maintain regulatory integrity and religious adherence within this growing alternative banking model.

Continue Reading

News

MURIC Writes ICPC, Demands Access to Elrufai

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, has formally requested permission from the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, to visit former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, who is currently in the custody of the anti-corruption agency.

MURIC made the request in a letter submitted to the ICPC on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, by the chairman of its Abuja branch.

The group said the visit was intended to enable its representatives to meet with the former governor and assess his condition while in custody.

According to the organisation, a three-man delegation has been nominated to undertake the visit. The delegation comprises MURIC’s Executive Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola; the chairman of the Abuja branch, Ustadh Yunus Salahudeen; and the branch’s assistant secretary, Shehu Ahmad Lemu.

Advert

MURIC urged the ICPC to grant the delegation access to El-Rufai, stressing that the request was made in line with its civil liberties advocacy and concern for the welfare and rights of persons in detention.

The group noted that Mr El-Rufai had been in ICPC custody since Monday, February 16, 2026, following his detention by the anti-corruption commission.

MURIC said that, as of Tuesday, August 18, 2026, the former governor had spent approximately six months and two days in the custody of the commission.

The organisation did not disclose the specific conditions it intended to assess during the proposed visit, nor did it state whether the request was prompted by any particular complaint concerning El-Rufai’s treatment in custody.

The former Kaduna governor has been under scrutiny by anti-corruption authorities over allegations linked to his administration in the state. His continued detention has also attracted public attention, particularly given the length of time he has spent in custody.

MURIC’s latest request adds a civil liberties dimension to the ongoing case, with the organisation seeking direct access to the former governor through a formally constituted delegation.

The group said it was awaiting the response of the ICPC to its request.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Appoints Abel Olumuyiwa As Head Of Service

Published

on

 

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Mr Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, effective August 27, 2026.

Mr Enitan succeeds Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who will retire soon from the Federal Civil Service upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60.

Mr Enitan, from Osun State, is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service.

He has served as Permanent Secretary for seven years and seven months, working at the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President. He is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education.

Advert

He brings considerable institutional experience and a deep understanding of how the Federal Civil Service works to his new responsibility.

President Tinubu expresses his profound appreciation to Mrs Walson-Jack for her distinguished service to the nation and for the reforms, impact and innovations witnessed in the Civil Service during her tenure.

The President wishes her a fulfilling and successful life after service and conveys the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service.

President Tinubu charges the incoming Head of the Civil Service of the Federation to consolidate on the reforms and innovations already underway, deepen professionalism and efficiency across the service, and build a more effective and responsive Civil Service capable of delivering on the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The President further urges Mr Enitan to lead a Civil Service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative, and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations.

Enitan was born on December 12, 1966. He had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife. He later attended the University of Lagos and graduated in 1988 with a B.Sc. in Finance and Banking.

In 2015, Enitan obtained an M.Sc. in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Lafia.

 

Continue Reading

Trending