Connect with us

News

Kogi Communities Jubilate as Dangote Cement Obajana Plant reopens

Published

on

There were huge scenes of jubilation among affected host communities following the Federal Government’s order for the immediate reopening of the Dangote Cement Plc plant at Obajana in Kogi State.

Members of the host communities from Iwaa, Oyo, Obajana, and Apata who spoke to newsmen said they could now heave a sigh of relief as the consequences of shutting down the factory were better imagined than described, a situation which was worsened with the recent ASUU strike that kept students at home across the country.

Recall that the National Security Council (NSC), chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, had Friday directed the reopening of the cement plant, after raising concerns about job losses, potential increase in criminality and resultant unemployment in the area and the State due to the shutdown.

Dangote: Our acquisition of Obajana Cement plant followed Due Process

Minister of Interior, Alhaji Rauf Aregbesola told newsmen that an agreement had been reached between the Dangote Group and the Kogi State Government on the need to reopen the factory, while urging both parties to respect the agreement.
Reacting to the latest directive, Secretary of the Association of Fresh Fish Dealers at the Obajana market, Mrs. Lola Adinu, told newsmen that her association members were overjoyed when the news came that the Federal Government had ordered the reopening of the factory.

Mallam Bala Dreba, a 50-year-old commercial motorist plying the 43km concrete Obajana-Kabba road that was constructed by Dangote Industries Limited, said travelers from the South and from the North were apprehensive about the security of the road and its environs since the recent invasion of the company by Government vigilantes. Dreba said the road is now the most important road network linking the Northern and Southern parts of Nigeria.

Commercial motorcyclists who brandished green leaves in victory were seen cruising in different directions on Friday evening and Saturday morning to celebrate the announcement by the Federal Government.

Advert

Adamu Ibrahim, a 45-year-old commercial motorcyclist, and father of four lamented that commercial activities had been paralysed after the invasion of the plant by thugs. He expressed joy that the situation is now reverting to the usual economic bustle in Obajana.

A community leader, Pa Isaac Ade, said the Federal Government’s announcement was welcomed with jubilation in his neighbourhood because the lives and the livelihood of the host communities revolve around Dangote Cement Plc.

“Without this company, the communities cannot survive, the markets cannot survive, the commercial motorcyclists cannot survive, and if I may add, this Local Government and the state, in general, will be badly affected,” Mr. Ade averred.

Dangote Cement Plc is the biggest taxpayer and employer of labour in Kogi State. The conglomerate is a part of the Dangote Industries Limited, which is also the second largest employer of labour in Nigeria after the government, as well as the highest private-sector taxpayer to the Federal Government.

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), the Trade Union Congress (TUC), and the Shareholders Associations in Nigeria, had all berated the Kogi State Government over the invasion and the closure of the cement company.

In the same vein, the Nigerian Association of Chamber of Commerce Industry Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA), the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) as well as the Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI) were among groups who condemned the invasion of the Dangote Cement plant, saying the move was capable of driving away investors in the country.
The associations said the hasty move by the state in resorting to self-help could send the wrong signal to investors within and outside the country.
Peter Dare, a businessman at the Obajana main market described the closure situation as worrisome, but added that activities in the market were picking up soon after the government ordered the reopening of the factory. He said thousands of people would have been impoverished if the company was not reopened.
At Iwaa, location of the multi-million naira hospital built by the Dangote Cement Plc, the story was the same, as residents were jubilating that the Federal Government waded into the crisis and rescued the situation.
A Septuagenarian, who sought anonymity, said he had been wondering how he would offset the tuition fees of his two children in the university following the calling off of the eight-month-old industrial action by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Some of the Dangote Cement staff who are indigenes of Kogi State welcomed with excitement the intervention of the Federal Government. They had earlier expressed fear that the closure would have sent them out of jobs.
Dangote Cement Plc Obajana Plant had said that most of its workforce, and technical students at the Dangote Academy situated in Obajana are indigenes from Kogi State.

In a statement, the Advocacy Centre for Industrialisation in Africa (ACIA) had expressed regret that the invasion and forceful closure of the Dangote Cement Plc at Obajana has cast a shadow on the Ease of Doing Business in the state.

The Arewa Youth Assembly, a conglomeration of youth groups in the 19 northern states had vehemently condemned the Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello, describing his closure moves as a war against employment and the youth.

News

Call Me Chairman, Not Tony!’: Elumelu’s Blunt Correction of Trainee Splits Internet as Old Video Sparks Double Standard Fury

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

A seemingly brief exchange between United Bank for Africa (UBA) Group Chairman, Tony Elumelu, and a female graduate trainee has erupted into a nationwide conversation about cultural values, corporate etiquette, and the politics of address, after a video of the interaction went viral on social media.

The incident occurred on Thursday, August 20, 2026, during an interactive session at the graduation ceremony for UBA’s Graduate Management Accelerated Programme (GMAP) in Lagos. In the now-viral clip, the trainee began her question by greeting the billionaire businessman with a casual, “Good morning, Tony.”

Mr. Elumelu, who was serving as a mentor at the event, promptly and firmly corrected her. According to multiple reports, he told her: “No, you won’t call me Tony. You call me Mr. Elumelu, or TOE, or Chairman.” He further justified his stance, explaining that he does not subscribe to what he termed the casual, Western-style familiarity in professional settings. “I don’t subscribe to that kind of Oyinbo life, okay!” he added.

The exchange has since polarized the Nigerian public, sparking a fierce debate on social media.

One faction of netizens has rallied behind Mr. Elumelu, arguing that the trainee’s address was a clear sign of disrespect, given his status as the chairman of a major financial institution and his seniority in age. Commentators argued that in a formal setting, the use of a title is a basic sign of respect. One social media user remarked, “Common sense should make you understand that at that moment, you are not talking to your friend, but what he is, a chairman or boss, or at least an adult that is obviously older than you.”

Advert

Conversely, a second group has come to the trainee’s defense. They argue that modern corporate culture, even within Nigerian banks, often encourages a first-name basis to foster a more egalitarian and open work environment. A former UBA staff member, Innocent Istifanus Moses, confirmed that GMAP graduates are typically taught to address colleagues, including senior executives, by their first names. In his view, the trainee’s mistake was not irredeemable, and he advised her to issue a brief, sincere apology. “Mistake–briefly acknowledge–correct it– move on confidently,” wrote one observer.

Accusations of Double Standard Emerge

The debate took a sharper turn when an old video resurfaced online, showing Mr. Elumelu in a 2022 interview with Chisom Obi-Okoye, an MBA student at Stanford Graduate School of Business in the United States. In that footage, the student interviewer addressed him as “Hi Tony” multiple times without any objection or correction from the businessman.

This discovery has led to widespread accusations of a double standard. Critics argue that Mr. Elumelu is willing to accept the casual, “Oyinbo” culture he decried when it suits him in an international setting but enforces a rigid traditional hierarchy at home. One Facebook user, Awuzie Frankline, questioned the inconsistency, stating, “Respect should be consistent not dependent on someone’s status, location or social class.”

Defense: ‘When in Rome, Behave Like The Romans’

In defense of the UBA Chairman, supporters have argued that there is no contradiction, as the two situations occurred in vastly different cultural contexts. They contend that Mr. Elumelu was simply adapting to the norms of his environment—behaving like the Romans while in Rome, as it were. In a formal corporate setting in Nigeria, they argue, it is appropriate to demand the traditional respect that is due to one’s elders and superiors. As one commentator put it, the issue is about “the need to adjust to culture and nuance as they come.”

Beyond the immediate controversy, the incident has opened a wider conversation about generational differences, the clash between traditional African values and Western corporate norms, and the importance of navigating social cues in professional environments.

Jide Akintunde, a social commentator, expressed surprise at Mr. Elumelu’s objection, noting that his first name has been central to his public and industry branding for years. He suggested that the public correction, while perhaps justified, could have been handled privately to avoid humiliating the young trainee.

As of Friday, the young woman at the center of the storm has not made a public statement. The video, however, continues to trend, serving as a potent reminder of the intricate and often unspoken rules that govern professional and social interactions in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Suspends Three Perm Secs as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Agency in SGF Office

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary to the government of the federation (OSGF).

Advert

The president also ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries following fresh findings by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in its investigation into alleged fake government agencies and weaknesses in public service processes.

Continue Reading

News

3 Brigade wins army Inter-brigade combat proficiency competition in Kano

Published

on

 

3 Brigade Nigerian Army, Kano, has emerged overall winner of the 2026 One Division Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition held in Kano.

The brigade secured the first position with 565.5 points, while 31 Artillery Brigade, Minna, Niger State, came second with 539 points. 1 Division Garrison, Kaduna, placed third with 534 points.

The three-day competition featured various military exercises aimed at testing the combat readiness, tactical awareness, physical fitness, leadership skills and professional competence of participating junior and middle-level officers.

The events included weapon handling, combat training, map reading, shooting and obstacle crossing, providing participants with opportunities to sharpen their skills and improve their preparedness for contemporary security operations.

Speaking at the closing ceremony, the Commander, 3 Brigade Nigerian Army, Kano, Brig.-Gen. Saka Jimoh, said the exercise was part of the numerous training programmes organised by Army Headquarters to ensure troops remained adequately prepared to tackle evolving security challenges.

Advert

Jimoh said continuous training and improved welfare of personnel remained key components of the Nigerian Army’s efforts to enhance operational effectiveness.

He added that the competition demonstrated the commitment of the Army to developing officers with the required skills, discipline and leadership qualities needed for effective command responsibilities.

“Welfare is one of the pillars of our command philosophy, and one very important aspect of it is the soldiers’ health concept. That is what we, as commanders in the Nigerian Army, are after to ensure the welfare of both our officers and men,” he said.

On security challenges within the brigade’s area of responsibility, including Kano and neighbouring states, Jimoh said criminal elements were feeling the impact of sustained Army operations.

He attributed the progress recorded to the training of troops and effective use of credible intelligence, assuring that the Army would continue to work towards eliminating criminal elements within its area of responsibility.

Earlier, the Special guest of honor, the Commandant, Nigeria Navy Logistics College, Dawakin Tofa, Kano, Commodore Abubakar Madawaki, commended participants for demonstrating courage, discipline, leadership, tactical awareness, physical fitness and commitment to duty throughout the competition.

Madawaki said continuous training remained critical to preparing officers for the complex demands of modern military operations, adding that the competition provided an avenue for junior and middle-level officers to improve their combat skills and decision-making abilities.

He congratulated the winners and encouraged other participants to regard the experience gained as an opportunity for professional growth.

Continue Reading

Trending