Connect with us

News

Kano anti-graft czar dares opponents, says he is clean

Published

on

Muhuyi Magai

 

The Kano chairman of the Public Complaint and Anti-Corruption Commission (PCAC) Muhyi Magaji Rimingado has declared that though he is not a saint but he is clean of any corruption charges.

The embattled anti-corruption czar fell apart with the Government after an alleged secret investigation into his financial misdemeanor which allegedly came up when he commenced investigation on the Governor’s wife, Hafsat Ganduje’s activities.

The Accountant General of Kano state sent a memo appointing a new accountant for the commission to investigate the chairman of the commission which the chairman resisted saying it is outside his authority to do that.

He responded to questions from journalists in Kano on Wednesday refuting corruption accusations against him.

“An accountant is a subordinate staff. He can’t be the one to investigate his boss. They claim that I am afraid, why should I be afraid of an accountant?

“More so, when the new Accountant was appointed, I called the Accountant General and told him that we will not accept him.

“Going by the laws establishing the commission, in section 15, the commission is given the powers to employ staff and see to all issues concerning the personnel.

“In fact the Kano Civil Service rule does not apply on the Commission. We have our own separate laws. Why then should I be afraid of an Accountant?

“Let me give you an example, according to section 9 of the laws establishing the commission, says we are in charge of investigating all organs of government to ensure that they run according to law. How then can we that are empowered by the law to investigate graft watch on while we see corruption taking place, how do you think we can have the guts to enforce the law on others?

“We have the power to investigate even the Accountant General and even detain him if necessary, that is what the law provides. How then can the Accountant General just wake up one day and pick a paper and pen and write to me that he has appointed a staff for the commission and I will accept? This is in total contradiction of the law.

“What is there to fear? If they want to investigate anything they are free to. You can’t just appoint an Accountant and say he has come to investigate. They have an oversight function of setting up an investigation but not appointing an accountant, that is not what the law says” he stated.

Defending his person from accusations, Muhyi said that he is not a saint but he is clean.

“Let me tell you something, I am not doing this for anyone to follow me or in order to please anyone. I swear by the Almighty God that I have an account with the Sterling Bank and I don’t have up to N5,000 in it. Let them go and check it today and see, of I have anything more than that I am a liar. I have an account with Zenith Bank, I have both Naira and Dollar accounts there, in my Dollar account I have only $42 as at today. In my Naira account I have about N1,900. You can go anywhere, both home and abroad to enquire whether I have another. Whether here or Abuja to chek if I have invested any form of assets in fear of future poverty or anything. If there is anything like that may the curse of the Almighty God befall it.

“I was approached during the first tenure with an offer. You know when they want to do such corrupt things they send people that know you, those you hold with respect. They are people you can only apologise and say no to in order not to engage in corrupt acts. They came asking me to sell the part of Tebura Mall we are resettling some retailers to them at N300 million but I refused. The person that came with the offer is out there listening to me.

“Now of I had been engaging in corrupt acts when the Governor later revoked that place where would I have placed myself?

“So I want them to know that I am not afraid of any investigation, I am fighting corruption. What is happening is more of corruption fighting back.
For me to allow this to disorient me in the fight against corruption it means I am not ready for the fight.

“My own opinion of serving the public is that of sacrifice. I am here to help myself by helping the in getting rid of corruption from our midst. When you help build a good society you and your family will benefit from it.

 

“I am not saying that I am a saint or I don’t sin, no. Whatever comes my way that I can benefit from is only a bonus, I don’t feel bad loosing it.
I was given a brand new official vehicle Kia Ceranto, when I realised that anywhere I go I hear insulting comments that it is part of what we have looted, I returned it to the government.

“Even the house they are talking about that I own can be investigated by the Code of Conduct to confirm if there is anything illegal about it. If they discover anything beyond my earning they can seize it” he declared.

#

News

Sallah Durbar: Cancellation spikes security scare as businesses suffered setback in Kano.

Published

on

.

 

Unquantifiable economic lose were recorded in Kano over the weekend following the sudden cancellation of the historical Salah Durbar festival.

Although, the Sallah celebration was conducted largely peaceful even after the ban on Durbar, but the security alert invoked by the police had scared visitors and potential investors.

The UNESCO certified global event left about 160 foreign tourists who had flew into Kano stranded after the sudden imposition of ban on the traditional heritage, Kano State History, Culture and Tourism Bureau, confirmed.

Kano Durbar, the largest convergence of horse rides globally dated back over 500 years, attracted international recognition thereby making the UNESCO representative list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity in December 2024.

An entrepreneur, Ahmad Sarki Norma who lamented the economic lost in Kano at the weekend as a result of cancellation of Durbar worried over the overbearing influence and interest on Kano emirate.

According to Sarki Norma, besides the wreckage of profit on micro economic, the livelihood of local artisans who specialize on weaving, and fabrication of horse artifacts and horsemen costumes during Salah Durbar season have been crippled.

” I know that virtually all the costumes we wear during Durbar are 90% handmade. That means, the event usually stimulates huge business activities and opportunities for the local fabricators. So when you cancel the Durbar you are killing and sending them out of business.

” Secondly, when you look into sales of pure water on those five days it’s not an ordinary economy. People come from the villages with 5,000 naira to sell bottle water and beverages and make a lots of profits.

On traditional wears, Sarki Norma said ” a normal traditional toberida, costs at least N150,000, which is almost $80. And you’re expected to wear four of it to the right. And also the horse dress, you can get a horse dress of N4 million, you can get a horse dress of N30,000.

“I can calmly say I spend nothing less than Never2.5 million for these four rides on my own. But when you come to the horse, I have a $10 million horse, I have a $20,000 horse, which are specifically meant for just riding”.

Also speaking on the economic impact, Ahmad Abba Yusuf, Executive Secretary, History and Culture Bureau, Kano, said transport, tourism, and food industries recorded the highest lost in the wake of the Durbar cancellation.

Yusuf equally ascerted that several billions of naira have been lost in the tourism sector including the production and marketing of local materials for the horses and horsemen.

“We do have over 74 traditional title holders that come in a cluster, in groups. So each group contains a minimum of 20 horse riders. So if you can multiply that, if you can be able to deduce the amount of materials for the horses and horsemen, this will be the cost for the Darbar.

“And other local economy, those are the indirect costs attached to it. The people, small-scale traders selling foods, drinks, and other consumables during the Darbar festivities. And also the transport and hospitality accommodation for the tourists and other local royal guests during the Darbar”. Yusuf noted.

Sharing experiences during a media interaction Kano, a tourists in Kano on Thursday, a tourist Virgil Taylor who came from United States of America expressed deep disappointment that his hope to watch the historical durbar was dash.

Taylor who is visiting Kano and Nigeria for the first time to relish the beautiful African culture, worried that after a whole year preparation for the long trip to Africa, he only got to know about the cancellation after arriving Kano.

Taylor, though believed every disappointment is for a purpose, he was delighted to have catched the glimpse of the Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II in a large population during Sallah Day, which he said remain a memorable historical opportunity for him.

“I started planning for this trip over a year ago when I was in Ghana and so I kept doing my research and I understood that there were Durbar that occurred else where throughout Nigeria, but in particular Kano.

“So I started making my preparations and I actually flew in last Friday, I think that was the 27th of March or 28th. I arrived. And until then I learned that the Durbar is not happening again. I had no idea that it had been cancelled before then.

“So yeah, I was disappointed, but I was assured that it would still be a good trip for me and it has been, it’s been extraordinary. The people of Kano have been just very wonderful”. Taylor said.

Another Tourist, a UK based, Lekan Yushau Okanlawon who also flew from London for the Durbar regretted how the cancellation crippled his plans to register the festival on the Guniess book of record for a largest horse proccession in the world besides the UNESCO’s recognition.

Also narrating disappointment, Okanlawon narrated how he had invited friends who are polo players in the UK to join the Durbar procession essentially to witness for the first time, a convergence of over 5,000 horses riding behind a single person.

“So when on the 6th of December, 2024 that UNESCO certified the Kano Durbar and incorporated it into their global heritage program, many of us were happy and we have something internationally recognized to show to our friends abroad.

” So I started discussion with a couple of my friends who have polo teams in the UK. By the way, I came in on the 23rd into Lagos and I flew into Kano on the 24th. I didn’t get to know the Durbar was cancelled until I got there. So I had to quickly send an SOS message to my friends. They don’t have to come again.

“Many of them wanted to come because the only horse riding experience many of them had prior to now has been riding horse for a bit of leisure and more polo. So they have never ride a horse in a long procession.

“So my target with a couple of other friends in Kano and outside Kano that were working together is to ensure that in the next one year we put Kano Durbar procession on the Guinness World Record because Kano has the largest gathering of horse gathering in the world”. Okanlawon added.

#
Continue Reading

News

Tinubu’s Political Adviser, Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Resigns

Published

on

 

Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the political adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has resigned, it was reliably learnt.

Impeccable sources in the presidency confirmed yesterday that the former spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) tendered his resignation about two weeks ago.

The sources said Dr. Baba-Ahmed did not provide details of the reasons for his decision, only stating that it was on personal grounds. However, as of the time of filing this report, it was unclear whether the presidency had accepted his resignation.

Baba-Ahmed was appointed Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office of Vice President Kashim Shettima in September 2023.

 

Daily Trust

#
Continue Reading

News

Islamic Scholar Dr Abdul Aziz Dutsen Tanshi Is Dead

Published

on

A prominent Islamic cleric, Imam Dr. Idris Abdul’aziz Dutsen Tanshi, has passed away.

Sheikh Muhammad Kabir Haruna confirmed his death on his verified Facebook account late on Thursday night.

Late Imam Dutsen Tanshi was a leading Islamic scholar in Africa, widely recognized for his contributions to disseminating Islamic teachings across the continent.

In addition to his scholarly work, Imam Idris was also a businessman and farmer.

He had been contending with ill health for some time, and recently traveled abroad for medical treatment during the last Ramadan.

His funeral will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday at the Eid Mosque in Games Village, Bauchi state.

#

Continue Reading

Trending