Connect with us

News

Kano anti-graft czar dares opponents, says he is clean

Published

on

Muhuyi Magai

 

The Kano chairman of the Public Complaint and Anti-Corruption Commission (PCAC) Muhyi Magaji Rimingado has declared that though he is not a saint but he is clean of any corruption charges.

The embattled anti-corruption czar fell apart with the Government after an alleged secret investigation into his financial misdemeanor which allegedly came up when he commenced investigation on the Governor’s wife, Hafsat Ganduje’s activities.

The Accountant General of Kano state sent a memo appointing a new accountant for the commission to investigate the chairman of the commission which the chairman resisted saying it is outside his authority to do that.

He responded to questions from journalists in Kano on Wednesday refuting corruption accusations against him.

“An accountant is a subordinate staff. He can’t be the one to investigate his boss. They claim that I am afraid, why should I be afraid of an accountant?

“More so, when the new Accountant was appointed, I called the Accountant General and told him that we will not accept him.

“Going by the laws establishing the commission, in section 15, the commission is given the powers to employ staff and see to all issues concerning the personnel.

“In fact the Kano Civil Service rule does not apply on the Commission. We have our own separate laws. Why then should I be afraid of an Accountant?

“Let me give you an example, according to section 9 of the laws establishing the commission, says we are in charge of investigating all organs of government to ensure that they run according to law. How then can we that are empowered by the law to investigate graft watch on while we see corruption taking place, how do you think we can have the guts to enforce the law on others?

Advert

“We have the power to investigate even the Accountant General and even detain him if necessary, that is what the law provides. How then can the Accountant General just wake up one day and pick a paper and pen and write to me that he has appointed a staff for the commission and I will accept? This is in total contradiction of the law.

“What is there to fear? If they want to investigate anything they are free to. You can’t just appoint an Accountant and say he has come to investigate. They have an oversight function of setting up an investigation but not appointing an accountant, that is not what the law says” he stated.

Defending his person from accusations, Muhyi said that he is not a saint but he is clean.

“Let me tell you something, I am not doing this for anyone to follow me or in order to please anyone. I swear by the Almighty God that I have an account with the Sterling Bank and I don’t have up to N5,000 in it. Let them go and check it today and see, of I have anything more than that I am a liar. I have an account with Zenith Bank, I have both Naira and Dollar accounts there, in my Dollar account I have only $42 as at today. In my Naira account I have about N1,900. You can go anywhere, both home and abroad to enquire whether I have another. Whether here or Abuja to chek if I have invested any form of assets in fear of future poverty or anything. If there is anything like that may the curse of the Almighty God befall it.

“I was approached during the first tenure with an offer. You know when they want to do such corrupt things they send people that know you, those you hold with respect. They are people you can only apologise and say no to in order not to engage in corrupt acts. They came asking me to sell the part of Tebura Mall we are resettling some retailers to them at N300 million but I refused. The person that came with the offer is out there listening to me.

“Now of I had been engaging in corrupt acts when the Governor later revoked that place where would I have placed myself?

“So I want them to know that I am not afraid of any investigation, I am fighting corruption. What is happening is more of corruption fighting back.
For me to allow this to disorient me in the fight against corruption it means I am not ready for the fight.

“My own opinion of serving the public is that of sacrifice. I am here to help myself by helping the in getting rid of corruption from our midst. When you help build a good society you and your family will benefit from it.

 

“I am not saying that I am a saint or I don’t sin, no. Whatever comes my way that I can benefit from is only a bonus, I don’t feel bad loosing it.
I was given a brand new official vehicle Kia Ceranto, when I realised that anywhere I go I hear insulting comments that it is part of what we have looted, I returned it to the government.

“Even the house they are talking about that I own can be investigated by the Code of Conduct to confirm if there is anything illegal about it. If they discover anything beyond my earning they can seize it” he declared.

News

President Tinubu Appoints Abel Olumuyiwa As Head Of Service

Published

on

 

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Mr Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, effective August 27, 2026.

Mr Enitan succeeds Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who will retire soon from the Federal Civil Service upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60.

Mr Enitan, from Osun State, is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service.

He has served as Permanent Secretary for seven years and seven months, working at the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President. He is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education.

Advert

He brings considerable institutional experience and a deep understanding of how the Federal Civil Service works to his new responsibility.

President Tinubu expresses his profound appreciation to Mrs Walson-Jack for her distinguished service to the nation and for the reforms, impact and innovations witnessed in the Civil Service during her tenure.

The President wishes her a fulfilling and successful life after service and conveys the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service.

President Tinubu charges the incoming Head of the Civil Service of the Federation to consolidate on the reforms and innovations already underway, deepen professionalism and efficiency across the service, and build a more effective and responsive Civil Service capable of delivering on the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The President further urges Mr Enitan to lead a Civil Service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative, and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations.

Enitan was born on December 12, 1966. He had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife. He later attended the University of Lagos and graduated in 1988 with a B.Sc. in Finance and Banking.

In 2015, Enitan obtained an M.Sc. in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Lafia.

 

Continue Reading

News

Kano Trains Mass Education Officers to Strengthen Adult Learning, Tackle Out-of-School Challenge

Published

on

The Kano State Agency for Mass Education has trained Area Coordinating Officers from all 44 Local Government Areas of the state as part of efforts to strengthen adult and non-formal education and support the government’s ambition of reducing the number of out-of-school children to zero.

The 2 day capacity-building workshop, held  in Zaria, Kaduna State, brought together Area Coordinating Officers, Zonal Directors, Directors and other key personnel of the agency.

The workshop, organised by SAME in collaboration with Non-Formal Development for Education and Health Initiatives (NDEHI), was held under the theme, “Strengthening Leadership, Community Engagement, and Quality Service Delivery in Adult Non-Formal Education in Kano State.”

Declaring the workshop open on behalf of the Commissioner for Education, Dr. Ali Haruna Makoda, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Baffa Bashir Muhammad, said the initiative reflected the Kano State Government’s renewed commitment to advancing adult and non-formal education.

Muhammad praised Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for prioritising education under the administration’s “Education First” agenda, noting that non-formal education remained an important tool for empowering citizens, reducing illiteracy and reaching people who were outside the formal school system.

He commended the Executive Secretary of SAME, Dr. Binta Abubakar, for initiating the workshop, describing it as a landmark step towards strengthening non-formal education delivery in the state.

The Permanent Secretary urged participants to maximise the expertise of the resource persons and ensure that the knowledge acquired translated into measurable improvements in adult literacy and learning programmes across Kano.

Speaking on the objectives of the workshop, the Executive Secretary of SAME, Dr. Binta Abubakar, said the training was designed to refresh the knowledge and strengthen the capacity of personnel responsible for implementing the agency’s programmes across the 44 LGAs.

She said the participants were exposed to modern approaches to leadership, monitoring and evaluation, record keeping, community engagement, learning-centre management and the establishment of new learning centres.

Dr. Abubakar emphasised the need for the agency to improve enrolment, monitoring and evaluation, record management and community participation, while expanding learning opportunities to underserved communities.

She said the ultimate goal was to contribute to the reduction of out-of-school learners and support the state government’s ambition of achieving zero out-of-school children in Kano State.

Advert

The lead facilitator, Dr. Auwalu Halilu, said the workshop was aimed at changing the perception and delivery of adult education by moving beyond the traditional focus on literacy and numeracy.

According to him, modern adult education encompasses literacy, numeracy, life skills, community engagement and practical approaches to addressing societal challenges through adult learning.

Majority of them feel adult education is just about literacy and numeracy. In a more globalized perspective now, it’s modern literacy and numeracy—you have to think about literacy, numeracy, and life skills, including engagement with the community and solving societal problems through adult learning,” Halilu said.

He said the workshop brought together university professors, doctors, field practitioners and other resource persons to expose participants to contemporary methods of delivering adult and non-formal education.

Halilu described the initiative as historically significant, noting that it was the first time staff of the agency, including Area Coordinating Officers from all 44 LGAs, had been sponsored to travel outside Kano State for a capacity-building programme of this nature.

He attributed the development to the support of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and said participants were expected to apply the knowledge acquired to improve the agency’s operations after returning to Kano.

The Chairman of the Kano State School-Based Management Committee (SBMC), Tijjani Haladu Baraya, commended the agency for organising the training outside the state, describing it as an important step towards improving operational efficiency.

Baraya praised Dr. Binta Abubakar for what he described as innovative approaches since assuming leadership of the agency, saying the initiative aligned with the state government’s priority on education.

He appealed to the Ministry of Education and the Kano State Government to sustain adequate budgetary support for the Agency for Mass Education to enable it to consolidate the gains of the training and improve service delivery.

Also speaking, the Kano Municipal Zonal Director, Rabi Hassan Gwarzo, said the workshop had equipped participants with practical knowledge that would help improve the management of learning centres across the state.

Gwarzo said the training provided clearer understanding of modern administrative practices, particularly the implementation and operation of Centre-Based and Community-Based Management Committees (CBMCs).

She said the knowledge gained would help address challenges affecting some local learning centres and pledged to work with community leaders, facilitators and other stakeholders to revive and strengthen centres in Kano Municipal.

She also stressed the need for continuous retraining of facilitators to address administrative lapses and sustain improvements across the centres.

Gwarzo commended Dr. Binta Abubakar, whom she described as “Super ES,” for initiating the programme and urged participants to implement the strategies acquired during the training.

The workshop featured sessions on the foundations of adult and non-formal education, the structure of non-formal education, adult learners, instructional materials, the role of facilitators and the responsibilities of practitioners.

Other areas covered included leadership, community engagement, monitoring and evaluation, record keeping, learning-centre management and strategies for improving service delivery.

The agency said the training was expected to strengthen leadership, improve accountability and equip its personnel with modern tools to deliver more effective adult and non-formal education programmes across Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

SEMA Assesses Sites of Building Collapses, Condoles Families of Nine Victims

Published

on

 

The Executive Secretary of the Kano State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Alhaji Isyaku Abdullahi Kubarachi, accompanied by directors of the Agency, has visited the scenes of recent building collapses within Kano metropolis and condoled with families who lost loved ones in the incidents.

During the visit, the SEMA team inspected the site of the collapsed Khadija Bala Memorisation School, located at No. 1030, Police Station Road, Fagge Local Government Area, where one female student lost her life while eight others were rescued following the collapse of the Islamic school.

The team also visited Dukawa, Gobirawa area of Dala Local Government Area, where the residence of Malam Mutari Abdulhamidu collapsed, resulting in the death of his four children.

Advert

Similarly, at Gaida, four people reportedly lost their lives following the collapse of a residential building.

The Executive Secretary, alongside a representative of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), expressed deep sympathy and condolences to the bereaved families, praying for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and wishing the survivors a speedy recovery.

Alhaji Isyaku Abdullahi Kubarachi urged members of the public to strictly adhere to approved building regulations and safety standards, particularly during periods of heavy rainfall, when building structures may become more vulnerable to collapse.

In a statement, SEMA spokesperson Jamil Sagir Danbala said the Executive Secretary further called on property owners, developers and residents to avoid compromising building standards and to promptly report any signs of structural weakness to the relevant authorities.

Continue Reading

Trending