Connect with us

News

Mother, 3 Children  Detained For Asking Police Of Her Missing Husband

Published

on

IGP Muhammad Adamu

 

Alhasan Bala, Abuja

One Mrs. Bolanle Ohore and her three children were detained at the SARS, (Abattoir) for three days when she went to inquire about the whereabouts of her husband.

 

In the case of unlawful arrest, detention, enforced disappearance, extortion, and abuse of office which was heard on Monday, February 15, 2021, by the IIP-SARS, counsel to the petitioner Wisdom Edun Esq. narrated how Mrs. Bolanle was compelled to pay the sum of N50, 000.00 before she and her three children who were detained could be released from custody.

 

According to him, her offense was daring to ask for the whereabouts of her husband. Narrating further, Mr. Edun informed the panel that in the last year of Mr. Ohore’s arrest by the Police, all efforts to locate his whereabout by his family members have proved abortive, this informed his wife’s decision to go in search of him at the SARS office at the abattoir, he said.

 

During the hearing, two witnesses Mr. Maxwell Ekpo and Taiwo Endurance narrated how Ohore was arrested. Testimonies from both witnesses revealed that Mr. Ohore was accosted by two Policemen on the evening of 12th January 2020 at the Arena (a viewing center) situated at Abacha Road Mararaba, where all three friends had gone to watch a football match.

 

They further narrated, that while the match was going on, two fierce-looking men, one in Police uniform and the other in mufti, accosted Mr. Ohore for reasons unknown to them, shooting first in between his legs before shooting sporadically in the air.

 

Mr. Maxwell stated that in the cause of the sporadic shooting, one of the many people who were also present at the viewing center was instantly killed by a stray bullet, while others sustained various degrees of injuries, including Taiwo Endurance (one of the witnesses).

Advert

 

They also recounted how Mr. Ohore has eventually whisked away in a green taxi to an unknown destination by the policemen.

 

Counsel to the petitioner who applied to have Mrs. Bolanle, the DPO, Abacha road Police Station and other witnesses in the case at the next hearing prayed the panel to among other things; thoroughly investigate the unlawful arrest of Ogaga Ohore, his sudden disappearance from custody, a refund of N50, 000 extorted from his wife and the sum of N500, 000000 (Five hundred Million Naira Only), for holding Ohore incommunicado and also for detaining his wife and children for three (3) days.

 

The matter was adjourned to February 25th, 2021 for a continuation of the hearing.

 

 

 

In a related development, the police were again accused of enforced disappearance, arbitrary arrest, and prolonged unlawful detention of Lukman Salihu.

 

Counsel to the petitioner,  Shuaibu Arewa Esq. informed the panel that at the time of his arrest in July 2015, Lukman who was accused by the joint Federal Team of belonging to a terrorist group was a student of Nasarawa State Polytechnic.

President Buhari deploys security chiefs to Niger over abduction of school children

The matter was taken to court on May 13, 2016, where the Attorney General of the Federation, Chief of Army Staff, IGP, Director General, State Security Service was joined as respondents.

 

According to Arewa, throughout the duration of the hearing in the Court, all other institutions listed in the case made an appearance and denied knowledge on the whereabouts of Mr. Lukeman, except the Police which neither appeared before the court nor filed a counter-affidavit.

 

The Court, therefore, awarded one Million Naira damages to be paid by the Police or release of Lukeman Suleiman which has not been responded to.

 

Narrating further, Arewa Esq. told the panel that the Nigerian Police had failed to obey a Federal High court order to produce Lukeman. He, therefore, appealed to the panel to compel the appearance of SUPOL Christopher of defunct SARS, (IPO at the time of the incidence). Arewa Esq. also appealed to the panel to compel the police to honor the court order previously given by providing Lukeman or to give an account of his whereabouts, and if they fail, then the sum of N500, 00000O   should be paid to his family as compensation.

 

Lead counsel to the respondents, James Idachaba Esq. promised to reach out to Force Criminal Investigative Department to verify the whereabouts of Lukeman Salihu and get back to the panel at the next hearing.

 

The matter was adjourned to February 26, 2021, to compel the appearance of SUPOL Christopher and for the Police to explain the whereabouts of the victim.

News

Tinubu’s Peace Move Takes Effect as Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara’s Impeachment

Published

on

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State House of Assembly has halted its impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Professor Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s latest intervention in the state’s protracted political crisis.

The Assembly made the decision during Thursday’s plenary, TVC News reported.

The lawmakers had on January 8 initiated impeachment moves against the governor and his deputy, citing alleged gross misconduct . The notices of allegation were forwarded to the Chief Judge of Rivers State, Justice Simeon Chibuzor-Amadi, with a request to constitute a seven-man investigative panel as required by Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution .

However, the process was halted after a Rivers State High Court sitting in Oyigbo Local Government Area restrained the lawmakers and the Chief Judge from proceeding . Justice F. A. Fiberesima issued an interim injunction barring Speaker Martin Amaewhule, the Clerk of the House, and 31 other defendants from taking further steps toward impeachment .

Advert

The court specifically restrained the Chief Judge from receiving, forwarding, considering, or acting on any request or resolution aimed at constituting an investigative panel against Fubara and Odu . The matter was subsequently adjourned indefinitely after parties informed the court that appeals had been entered at the Court of Appeal .

Thursday’s decision by lawmakers to discontinue the impeachment process followed President Bola Tinubu’s fourth intervention in the oil-rich state’s political crisis .

Two weeks ago, Tinubu met with key political actors, including Governor Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike—now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory—at the Presidential Villa in Abuja . The closed-door meeting aimed to resolve the lingering power struggle that has polarised the state since Fubara’s assumption of office.

Following the meeting, Wike publicly acknowledged the President’s intervention and directed lawmakers to comply .

“I have told the assembly to do the needful and obey Mr. President, which I know they will not hesitate,” Wike said after inspecting projects in Abuja. “I also believe the governor will carry out his own part to make sure that this is the final time Rivers people will hear this kind of discord” .

The latest intervention marks a significant de-escalation in the crisis, which stems from the political feud between Fubara and his predecessor, Wike, over control of the state’s political structure . Observers note that Thursday’s development suggests both parties may have reached a new understanding following the presidential mediation.

Continue Reading

News

CDS Oluyede Honored with National Award in Sierra Leone

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, has been decorated with the Grand Commander of the Order of the Rokel, one of Sierra Leone’s highest national honours. The award was conferred during a grand ceremony marking the 17th Armed Forces Day of the Republic of Sierra Leone.

In a statement released on [Date, if available], the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, confirmed that the honour recognises General Oluyede’s pivotal role in securing peace in Sierra Leone during his service with the Economic Community of West African States Monitoring Group (ECOMOG).

The statement highlighted that the award serves as a profound appreciation not only for General Oluyede’s personal contributions but also for the sacrifices of all Nigerian officers and soldiers who fought to restore peace and stability to the nation during its civil war.

Advert

General Oluyede’s connection to Sierra Leone dates back to the early 1990s. Between 1992 and 1994, he was deployed as a Platoon Commander, tasked with securing the residence of the then-Head of State. During this period, he was lauded for his exemplary leadership, professionalism, and unwavering commitment to protecting the government in a time of intense turmoil.

Aside from Nigerian CDS, other distinguished personalities from Nigeria, Guinea, United Kingdom, United States and Kenya, among others, were equally awarded medals during the ceremony.

They included former Nigerian CDS, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rtd), Lt. Gen. Daniel Opande of Kenya (rtd), Lt. Gen. Ibrahima Sory Bangoura of Guinea, Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers of USA and
Brig. Gen. Edward Butler (rtd) of the UK.

The Armed Forces Day event also served as a solemn tribute to the courage and sacrifice of regional forces. Special recognition was reserved for the Nigerian Armed Forces, whose steadfast commitment under the ECOMOG banner was described as being at the forefront of regional peace enforcement.

The Nigerian contingent was particularly commended for its distinctive bravery, resilience, and dedication to the protection of civilians during Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, cementing the nation’s legacy as a cornerstone of peace and stability in the West African sub-region.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Kill Senior Boko Haram Commander, Arrest Drone Supplier in Zamfara Operation

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI, operating in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have killed a senior Boko Haram commander during a mission in the Madagali axis of Zamfara State.

Security sources confirmed that the neutralised terrorist, identified as Abdullahi Mafa, was a former hybrid commander of the insurgent group. He was killed in a targeted operation on Thursday following a fierce encounter with security forces along the Visik River corridor.

According to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the troops came into contact with suspected Boko Haram fighters while laying an ambush in the area, leading to a gun battle that resulted in Mafa’s death.

Advert

In a separate but related operation within the same Madagali Local Government Area, troops also arrested a suspected logistics and drone supplier linked to the terrorists. The suspect, Dauda Usman Gubula, was apprehended during a raid at the Madagali Motor Park.

Makama, citing official sources, revealed that security operatives recovered several items from the suspect, including two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks believed to be destined for terrorist use. Gubula is currently in custody as investigations continue.

The military has maintained sustained offensive operations across the region as part of ongoing efforts to dismantle Boko Haram cells and restore normalcy to affected communities.

Continue Reading

Trending