Connect with us

News

Stun Gun Scandal: Pastor Adefarasin Faces Criminal Probe Over Viral Video, Says Lagos CP

Published

on

 

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Olohundare Jimoh, has confirmed that televangelist Pastor Paul Adefarasin faces criminal charges after pointing a stun gun at another person, an act he said is punishable under Nigerian law even if the device is non-lethal. Jimoh spoke on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday while providing an update on the ongoing probe.

“Nothing is an offence under the law, except what the law states to be an offence,” Jimoh explained. “Even under the Fire Arms Act, if you fashion out anything that is not metal, like wood, and you make it look like a gun, and you use that guise to take possession of property from another person, you have committed armed robbery. So, pointing a stun gun at another individual and sending that threat and fear to such a person at that particular time constitutes an offence. So, the police are doing everything in line with the law.”

According to Jimoh, the stun gun recovered from Adefarasin qualifies as prohibited riot control equipment under Nigerian statutes. Although the pastor has been released on bail, the commissioner emphasized that the investigation remains active. “He was invited; a letter of invitation was sent to him. In fact, we had prepared our warrant of arrest, in case he refused to comply with the invitation. But he turned himself in and was questioned by a team of investigators who were already on the matter before he turned himself in.”

Advert

The video that sparked the inquiry surfaced earlier this month, showing Adefarasin seated in a Range Rover holding what many believed to be a firearm as he spoke to someone outside the vehicle. The pastor has since taken to his official X account to dispute any wrongdoing: “You might be aware of a video circulating on social media showing me in what some have misunderstood as brandishing a firearm. I want to assure you — that was certainly not a firearm, and at no point did I point such at anyone.”

Jimoh further revealed that the individual allegedly threatened in the clip, a content creator whose address the police have obtained—will be summoned to provide a statement. “It is equally on social media that the person he pointed it to is a content creator and we are taking a statement from him as soon as he equally gets to us because we have got his address and we’re going to get him to make a statement in that regard.”

The commissioner concluded by promising transparency once the inquiry is complete: “The pastor is still under investigation, though he has been granted bail, but we will continue with the investigation and make the outcome of the investigation public for all Nigerians to know.”

News

Shamaki Congratulates Yari on Appointment as Tinubu’s Campaign DG

Published

on

 

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Shamakin Marafan Sokoto has congratulated Senator Abdul’aziz Yari Abubakar on his appointment as Director-General of the APC Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.

Shamaki described Yari’s appointment as well deserved, saying his wealth of political experience, leadership qualities and proven track record contributed significantly to his emergence for the important position.

Advert

He said Yari’s experience would play a key role in mobilising support and coordinating the APC’s campaign efforts towards ensuring the success of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the party in the 2027 presidential election.

According to him, the appointment reflects the confidence the APC leadership has in Yari’s capacity to deliver, particularly given his years of experience in politics and governance.

Shamaki expressed optimism that Yari would bring his vast political network and organisational skills

Continue Reading

News

Call Me Chairman, Not Tony!’: Elumelu’s Blunt Correction of Trainee Splits Internet as Old Video Sparks Double Standard Fury

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

A seemingly brief exchange between United Bank for Africa (UBA) Group Chairman, Tony Elumelu, and a female graduate trainee has erupted into a nationwide conversation about cultural values, corporate etiquette, and the politics of address, after a video of the interaction went viral on social media.

The incident occurred on Thursday, August 20, 2026, during an interactive session at the graduation ceremony for UBA’s Graduate Management Accelerated Programme (GMAP) in Lagos. In the now-viral clip, the trainee began her question by greeting the billionaire businessman with a casual, “Good morning, Tony.”

Mr. Elumelu, who was serving as a mentor at the event, promptly and firmly corrected her. According to multiple reports, he told her: “No, you won’t call me Tony. You call me Mr. Elumelu, or TOE, or Chairman.” He further justified his stance, explaining that he does not subscribe to what he termed the casual, Western-style familiarity in professional settings. “I don’t subscribe to that kind of Oyinbo life, okay!” he added.

The exchange has since polarized the Nigerian public, sparking a fierce debate on social media.

One faction of netizens has rallied behind Mr. Elumelu, arguing that the trainee’s address was a clear sign of disrespect, given his status as the chairman of a major financial institution and his seniority in age. Commentators argued that in a formal setting, the use of a title is a basic sign of respect. One social media user remarked, “Common sense should make you understand that at that moment, you are not talking to your friend, but what he is, a chairman or boss, or at least an adult that is obviously older than you.”

Advert

Conversely, a second group has come to the trainee’s defense. They argue that modern corporate culture, even within Nigerian banks, often encourages a first-name basis to foster a more egalitarian and open work environment. A former UBA staff member, Innocent Istifanus Moses, confirmed that GMAP graduates are typically taught to address colleagues, including senior executives, by their first names. In his view, the trainee’s mistake was not irredeemable, and he advised her to issue a brief, sincere apology. “Mistake–briefly acknowledge–correct it– move on confidently,” wrote one observer.

Accusations of Double Standard Emerge

The debate took a sharper turn when an old video resurfaced online, showing Mr. Elumelu in a 2022 interview with Chisom Obi-Okoye, an MBA student at Stanford Graduate School of Business in the United States. In that footage, the student interviewer addressed him as “Hi Tony” multiple times without any objection or correction from the businessman.

This discovery has led to widespread accusations of a double standard. Critics argue that Mr. Elumelu is willing to accept the casual, “Oyinbo” culture he decried when it suits him in an international setting but enforces a rigid traditional hierarchy at home. One Facebook user, Awuzie Frankline, questioned the inconsistency, stating, “Respect should be consistent not dependent on someone’s status, location or social class.”

Defense: ‘When in Rome, Behave Like The Romans’

In defense of the UBA Chairman, supporters have argued that there is no contradiction, as the two situations occurred in vastly different cultural contexts. They contend that Mr. Elumelu was simply adapting to the norms of his environment—behaving like the Romans while in Rome, as it were. In a formal corporate setting in Nigeria, they argue, it is appropriate to demand the traditional respect that is due to one’s elders and superiors. As one commentator put it, the issue is about “the need to adjust to culture and nuance as they come.”

Beyond the immediate controversy, the incident has opened a wider conversation about generational differences, the clash between traditional African values and Western corporate norms, and the importance of navigating social cues in professional environments.

Jide Akintunde, a social commentator, expressed surprise at Mr. Elumelu’s objection, noting that his first name has been central to his public and industry branding for years. He suggested that the public correction, while perhaps justified, could have been handled privately to avoid humiliating the young trainee.

As of Friday, the young woman at the center of the storm has not made a public statement. The video, however, continues to trend, serving as a potent reminder of the intricate and often unspoken rules that govern professional and social interactions in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Suspends Three Perm Secs as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Agency in SGF Office

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary to the government of the federation (OSGF).

Advert

The president also ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries following fresh findings by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in its investigation into alleged fake government agencies and weaknesses in public service processes.

Continue Reading

Trending