Connect with us

News

Manufacturers donate 4 operational vehicles to SON, PCTM

Published

on

 

The Presidential Committee on Trade Malpractices, (PCTM) and Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) on Thursday challenged manufacturers to intensify lobbying to fight importation of sub standard goods in the country.

Solacebase reports that both organizations gave the charge during a meeting with some manufacturing companies in Abuja, which marked the official handing over of four operational vehicles as part of Corporate Social Responsibility (CRS).

The companies including SUMO Steels Limited, Aarti Steel, Olak Group, KAM Holding Ltd. presented three Toyota Hilux and one bus, to the two government bodies: Presidential Committee on Trade Malpractices, (PTCM) and Standard Organisation of Nigeria, (SON) in support of their operations.

Bishop Ajayi Crowther:First Christian Cleric Who Translates Bible To Yoruba
Speaking during the occasion, Mallam Dahiru-Ado Kurawa, the Chairman of PCTM, said the companies’ gesture is in support of the manufacturing sector and the Nigerian economy at large.

Kurawa, who noted that his committee is also working with other sub sectors of economy said that all hands must be on deck for local manufacturing to gain the required momentum needed in the country.

Advert

“I am happy to assure you that we are currently working with so many other sub sectors in a bid to understand what is happening and support local manufacturing in those sub sectors and stop the infiltration of foreign goods illegally into the Nigerian economy” he said.

According to the PCTM boss, stakeholders in the steel sub sector need to synergize with critical agencies to ensure that what happened to textile industry, which had been hit by total collapse along with the value chain, does not befall the steel industry.

Also, the Director-General, Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON), Mallam Salim Farouk, described the Steel Manufacturers gesture as a good example of cooperation, assuring the government is determined to protect the industries.

Farouk emphasized that the industries create employments, pay taxes, and add value to the nation’s economy hence the need to provide support.
He decried lack of adequate support from the industries stressing that some of the industries do not support where they ought to support.

According to him, the National Rifle Association in America always have their way when such debates about banning guns in that country because they are big lobbying organization, urging Nigerian manufacturing to well up their game as they are up against big lobbyist who carry out importation of sub standard goods into the country.

“If the industries in Nigeria are together as a lobbying group, as a force in the public, to protect us as regulators, to protect the people, speak with one voice, believe you me this issue of sub standard goods in the market will be a thing of yesterday.

“What I am appealing to the steel industry is that this is a good example of cooperation but we need to step up our cooperation. You see Chairman and I, we may have connections all the way to the top but we don’t have the wherewithal or the influence to withstand people who are already bent on breaking the rules. We are willing to work hard but we need to be supported, politically, materially, and morally” he said.

The representative of Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Mr. Adeyemi Folorunsho, said that the gesture is part of efforts to appreciate the good works being done by the government establishment.

Folorunsho reiterated that as an association MAN is working not only itself but also to improve the wellbeing of the nation through creation of the needed employments.

News

Information Commissioner Meets Civil Society Groups on Governance, Development in Kano

Published

on

Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya addressing the Press after the meeting

 

The Kano State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, on Thursday convened a strategic meeting with civil society organisations to discuss issues affecting the state and strengthen collaboration with the government.

During the engagement, the commissioner briefed participants on the ongoing initiatives of the administration of Abba Kabir Yusuf, noting that civil society groups play a critical role in governance and policy development.

Waiya reiterated the government’s commitment to inclusive governance, stressing that civil society actors remain key partners in promoting sustainable development across Kano.

Advert

He described civil society organisations as an important constituency, emphasizing the need to deepen partnerships, sustain open communication, and build stronger cooperation between government institutions and non-state actors.

Participants at the meeting described the session as interactive and forward-looking, as stakeholders exchanged ideas on policy priorities and strategies aimed at advancing development in the state.

The meeting ended with a renewed commitment by both the government and civil society groups to continue working together in promoting transparency, accountability, and development initiatives in Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

ADC Raises Alarm Over Alleged Plot to Arrest Chibuike Amaechi

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State chapter of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised serious concerns over an alleged plot by the government to arrest a prominent leader of the party and former Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.

The party’s State Publicity Secretary, Chief Luckyman Egila, made the allegation during an interview with LEADERSHIP in Port Harcourt on Friday. He claimed that the ADC, positioning itself as a leading opposition force, has become a primary target of the administration.

Responding to questions about widespread speculation regarding Mr. Amaechi’s potential arrest, Egila stated that such rumours are credible within the nation’s current political context.

Advert

“While it may be termed a rumour, we are in a political arena where such possibilities cannot be dismissed,” Egila said. He drew a parallel to a recent incident involving a key opposition figure, adding, “We must recall that Nasir El-Rufai was recently detained by the Department of State Services (DSS). It appears they are systematically targeting anyone perceived as opposition.”

Egila elaborated on the ADC’s self-perceived role in the national political landscape, suggesting that its growing influence is the motive behind the alleged plot.

“As things stand in Nigeria today, the African Democratic Congress is emerging as the main opposition political party capable of challenging the ruling party. We cannot simply write this off as a baseless rumour; there is a deliberate scheme to incapacitate anyone with the capacity to oppose or defeat them in an election.”

Despite the serious allegations, Egila was careful to reaffirm the party’s commitment to lawful conduct. He noted that while the party has received intelligence regarding the purported plan, the specifics of the operation—whether it would be a public arrest or a covert action—remain unclear.

“The African Democratic Congress is a law-abiding political party,” Egila stated. “We are aware of the intelligence suggesting this move, but we do not know if they intend to apprehend him publicly or through other means.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: El-Rufai to be Arraigned February 25 for Cybercrime, Security Breach

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The State Security Service, SSS, will on Feb 25, arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, FHC, fixed the date after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho, assigned the case to her.

The DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Ngpfvuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act, (2024), and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In count on, El Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did admit during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

Advert

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did state during the interview that he knew and related with certain individual, who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27 (b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety, national security and instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting NSA’s phone communications.
.
The act, which the DSS said, the ex-governor admitted during an interview on Feb. 13th on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja “and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

Recalls that El-Rufai had, during a live interview on the TV station, claimed he overheard Mr Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him, linking the alleged directive to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Feb. 12y after his return from Cairo, Egypt.

The former governor was detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday over corruption allegations.

He was granted administrative bail at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday but was said to have been immediately taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The ICPC’s Spokesperson, John Odey, who confirmed the development in a message shared on a journalist’s Whatsapp group Wednesday night, simply said: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”

Continue Reading

Trending