News
CDS Oluyede Honored with National Award in Sierra Leone
News
Tinubu’s Peace Move Takes Effect as Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara’s Impeachment
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
The Rivers State House of Assembly has halted its impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Professor Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s latest intervention in the state’s protracted political crisis.
The Assembly made the decision during Thursday’s plenary, TVC News reported.
The lawmakers had on January 8 initiated impeachment moves against the governor and his deputy, citing alleged gross misconduct . The notices of allegation were forwarded to the Chief Judge of Rivers State, Justice Simeon Chibuzor-Amadi, with a request to constitute a seven-man investigative panel as required by Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution .
However, the process was halted after a Rivers State High Court sitting in Oyigbo Local Government Area restrained the lawmakers and the Chief Judge from proceeding . Justice F. A. Fiberesima issued an interim injunction barring Speaker Martin Amaewhule, the Clerk of the House, and 31 other defendants from taking further steps toward impeachment .
The court specifically restrained the Chief Judge from receiving, forwarding, considering, or acting on any request or resolution aimed at constituting an investigative panel against Fubara and Odu . The matter was subsequently adjourned indefinitely after parties informed the court that appeals had been entered at the Court of Appeal .
Thursday’s decision by lawmakers to discontinue the impeachment process followed President Bola Tinubu’s fourth intervention in the oil-rich state’s political crisis .
Two weeks ago, Tinubu met with key political actors, including Governor Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike—now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory—at the Presidential Villa in Abuja . The closed-door meeting aimed to resolve the lingering power struggle that has polarised the state since Fubara’s assumption of office.
Following the meeting, Wike publicly acknowledged the President’s intervention and directed lawmakers to comply .
“I have told the assembly to do the needful and obey Mr. President, which I know they will not hesitate,” Wike said after inspecting projects in Abuja. “I also believe the governor will carry out his own part to make sure that this is the final time Rivers people will hear this kind of discord” .
The latest intervention marks a significant de-escalation in the crisis, which stems from the political feud between Fubara and his predecessor, Wike, over control of the state’s political structure . Observers note that Thursday’s development suggests both parties may have reached a new understanding following the presidential mediation.
News
Troops Kill Senior Boko Haram Commander, Arrest Drone Supplier in Zamfara Operation
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
Troops of Operation HADIN KAI, operating in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have killed a senior Boko Haram commander during a mission in the Madagali axis of Zamfara State.
Security sources confirmed that the neutralised terrorist, identified as Abdullahi Mafa, was a former hybrid commander of the insurgent group. He was killed in a targeted operation on Thursday following a fierce encounter with security forces along the Visik River corridor.
According to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the troops came into contact with suspected Boko Haram fighters while laying an ambush in the area, leading to a gun battle that resulted in Mafa’s death.
In a separate but related operation within the same Madagali Local Government Area, troops also arrested a suspected logistics and drone supplier linked to the terrorists. The suspect, Dauda Usman Gubula, was apprehended during a raid at the Madagali Motor Park.
Makama, citing official sources, revealed that security operatives recovered several items from the suspect, including two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks believed to be destined for terrorist use. Gubula is currently in custody as investigations continue.
The military has maintained sustained offensive operations across the region as part of ongoing efforts to dismantle Boko Haram cells and restore normalcy to affected communities.
News
Legal Troubles Mount for El-Rufai as ICPC Takes Him into Custody
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
The legal challenges facing the immediate past Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, intensified on Wednesday as he was taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
The anti-graft agency confirmed the development in a statement on Thursday, signed by its Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey.
“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody as at close of work, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026,” the statement read. “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.”
While the ICPC did not disclose the specific details of the allegations, his detention marks a significant escalation in the scrutiny of his eight-year tenure and follows a recent high-profile arrest by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
El-Rufai’s transfer to ICPC custody comes immediately after he spent two nights with the EFCC over allegations of large-scale corruption and embezzlement. Those allegations stem from a Kaduna State House of Assembly ad-hoc committee report, which indicted his administration for allegedly siphoning approximately ₦432 billion through questionable contracts and money laundering.
Sources revealed that while the EFCC had granted the former governor administrative bail, the process was derailed under controversial circumstances. The bail conditions reportedly required a Permanent Secretary and a Director in a federal ministry to stand as sureties. However, after one of the proposed sureties—a Permanent Secretary—arrived at the EFCC office to complete the formalities, the agency allegedly hesitated and later declined to proceed.
Further compounding the issue, it was learned that the Permanent Secretary subsequently withdrew from the process, citing alleged threats. This has raised concerns about possible intimidation and interference in the case.
El-Rufai was scheduled to appear before the ICPC on Wednesday for questioning over separate corruption allegations, leading to his transfer to the commission’s custody.
In a parallel legal front, the Department of State Services (DSS) has filed charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja. The charges, filed under suit number FHC/CR/99/2026, allege that the former governor unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
According to court documents dated February 16, 2026, the prosecution’s case hinges on comments El-Rufai made during a televised interview on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026.
In the first count, the former governor is accused of unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications, an offense said to be contrary to Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
The second count alleges that El-Rufai admitted to knowing individuals involved in the interception but failed to report them to relevant security agencies, an offense under Section 27(b) of the same Act.
In the third count, prosecutors allege that El-Rufai and “others still at large” used technical systems to compromise public safety and national security by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
El-Rufai has consistently denied all allegations leveled against him, describing them as politically motivated “witch-hunts.” However, with the EFCC, ICPC, and DSS all pursuing separate investigations, the former governor now faces an unprecedented multi-agency legal offensive.
-
Opinion4 years agoOn The Kano Flyovers And Public Perception
-
Features5 years agoHow I Became A Multimillionaire In Nigeria – Hadiza Gabon
-
Opinion5 years agoKano As future Headquarters Of Poverty In Nigeria
-
History5 years agoSheikh Adam Abdullahi Al-Ilory (1917-1992):Nigeria’s Islamic Scholar Who Wrote Over 100 Books And Journals
-
Opinion4 years agoMy First Encounter with Nasiru Gawuna, the Humble Deputy Governor
-
History5 years agoThe Origin Of “Mammy Market” In Army Barracks (Mammy Ochefu)
-
History4 years agoThe History Of Borno State Governor Professor Babagana Umara Zulum
-
News4 years agoFederal University Of Technology Babura To Commence Academic Activities September