Connect with us

News

Lawyer Alleges N950,000 Theft and Assault by KAROTA Officers in Shocking Petition

Published

on

 

A Kano-based legal practitioner, Barrister A.S. Bawa, has petitioned the Kano State Commissioner of Police, accusing one Abdulwahab Abdullahi and other officers of the Kano Road Traffic Agency (KAROTA) of alleged theft of N950,000, unlawful seizure of wristwatches, criminal intimidation, and unlawful assault against him while he was performing his lawful duties.

The lawyer, through his ten legal representatives led by Barrister Fengak Obadiah Gokir submitted the petition to the Kano State Commissioner of Police

The Petition similarly copied to Attorney General Kano State, the Chairman Nigeria Bar Association Kano Branch, the Managing Director, Kano Road Traffic Agency (KAROTA)
Kano State and the Director Center for Human Rights and Social Advancement
(CEFSAN)

Details of the petition:

Our client is a Legal Practitioner carrying on the practice of law within the Kano State and beyond. As a practicing legal practitioner, our client is imbued with the knowledge of the relevant laws of Kano State and beyond and has always been mindful of obeying them so as not to send a negative signal to people who barely have the knowledge of the law.

The instruction of our client reveals that about 2 days ago (Monday, 18th August, 2025 to be precise), while going about his lawful activities in company of one Mal. Awalu, he drove his car (Silver coloured Toyota Yaris, 2005 model) towards Railway by Murtala Mohammed Way, Kano to purchase some woods. While around that location, our client knowing fully well how reckless some motorist can be, carefully parked his car by the road side at a reasonable parking lane in an orderly manner so as to avoid unnecessary bashing of the car and to avoid causing traffic related issues to other road users. Enclosed in the car was the sum of N950,000.00 (Nine Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira) and two (2) Wrist watches (the more concern one Patek Philippe) that was gifted to our client by One Late Prince Issa Idris Yaro and some extra money for the purchase in the event that he might run short of money for the day’s purchases and this was the money he withdrew not long ago from his Guaranty Trust Bank account last week and this week respectively.

Advert

However, upon conclusion of the wood transaction, our client became seriously shocked, alarmed and gripped with fear when he noticed his car was no longer at the location he parked. It was at that moment that people around told him that the car had been burgled and forcefully taken away by men of the KAROTA. Our client therefore made effort to know the office the car was taken to and it was then that he was informed that the car was taken to KAROTA Office along Gidan Awaki by Club Road, Kano State.

Our client immediately approached KAROTA office and to his greatest surprise again, found his car already burgled and tempered with, the sum of N950,000.00 (Nine Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira) missing and the bumper damaged due to the fact that the car was forcefully dragged.

He approached the officers on duty, to find out why his car was burgled into, driven to KAROTA office and illegally impounded or detained but unfortunately, he was threatened, bashed and ordered out of their premises under the instruction of one Abdulwahab Abdullahi, the Incharge of that Complex. In other words, when our client approached the officers of KAROTA on duty, the said officers became violent, assaulted him and threatened to kill him if he does not vacate their premises. That was how our client was public embarrassed notwithstanding the fact that he is a lawyer with high reputation to protect. Sir, our client is a law abiding and peaceful citizen of Nigeria and an indigene of Kano State as well as a Legal Practitioner with versatile experience in legal practice and would not take laws into his hands.

We believe as lawyers that the conduct of Kano Road Traffic Agency and its officers, to wit Abdulwahab Abdulahi (the Incharge of Gidan Awaki by Club Road) & other officers on duty on Monday, 18th August 2025 is manifestly outside the precincts of law. It was a calculated attempt to deliberate make wrongful gains and overreach our client which the law will never support. No wonder, within a twinkle of an eye without waiting for our client to return before making any case against him, they immediately burgled, toed the car and made away with the sum of N950,000.00 (Nine Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira). Sir these series of action clearly reveal the commission of the offences of threat to life and property, theft, criminal trespass, unlawful seizure, criminal intimidation and unlawful assault against our client as they do not have the power under the law creating them to do what they have done.

It is in the light of the above that we therefore write this petition to you, praying that you use your good office in causing an intense investigation as empowered by law into the unlawful and illegal actions or activities of these men and their colleagues on duty whose activities overreached the legal rights of our client.

We appreciate your invaluable contribution in the sustenance of law, order, peace, security and combatting crimes even as we believe that by your prompt intervention, our client will have respite.
It is our hope that our request will be given urgent attention given the good track record of your office.
Be assured of our professional regards.
Yours faithfully,

However, when contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the Kano Road Traffic Agency (KAROTA), Abubakar Ibrahim, said the agency had not received any petition related to the incident.

He added, “I am not aware of this information, so I am unable to comment on it.”

News

NDA Announces Date for Nationwide Screening Test

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Nigerian Defence Academy has announced that its Screening Test for the 78 Regular Course will hold on Saturday, 13 June 2026 across all states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory.

In a statement issued on its X handle on Tuesday and signed by the Academy Registrar, the institution said the exercise is open only to candidates who scored 180 and above in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board in April 2026, and who selected the NDA as their first-choice institution.

According to the NDA, eligible candidates will receive an email on 20 May 2026 directing them to select their preferred state for the screening test.

Advert

The academy noted that this step is necessary for the allocation of examination centres nationwide.

The statement added that candidates must complete their selection of preferred test location no later than 24 May 2026.

The NDA advised applicants to choose their state of residence as their examination location, emphasising that the screening exercise will be conducted simultaneously across the country.

It further stated that candidates will later be informed of their assigned centres in the first week of June 2026.

“The selection of location (State) of choice for the test is to be done latest by 24 May 2026,” the statement read.

It also assured candidates of timely communication and further instructions via email, stressing that the Academy remains committed to fairness and equal opportunity for all qualified applicants nationwide.

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Arrests Fleeing Ex-Power Minister, Saleh Mamman in Kaduna

Published

on

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arrested a fleeing former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in Rigasa area of Kaduna State.

Mamman was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday, May 19, 2026 following weeks of intensive surveillance and intelligence gathering by operatives of the Commission.

Addressing journalists on the arrest, Executive Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed that the former minister went underground after he was convicted by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on corruption charges.

“On May 7, 2026, Justice James Omotosho found Mamman guilty on all 12 counts bordering on diversion of funds meant for the Zungeru and Mambilla hydroelectric power projects. The court convicted him in absentia after agreeing with the Commission that the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt,” he said.

“For us, getting the convict to serve his jail terms is extremely important in view of the seriousness with which we are tackling corrupt practices. It is this resolve that made us deploy intelligence to tracking and arresting the convict. We will process his transmission to the Correctional Centre accordingly”, he said.

Advert

Justice Omotosho had, in his judgment, held that the EFCC successfully established that Mamman and his associates diverted not less than N22 billion meant for the execution of critical power projects. The court further held that the defence failed to present credible evidence capable of discrediting the prosecution’s case.

The judge condemned the diversion of public funds earmarked for the Zungeru and Mambilla hydroelectric projects, describing the act as a gross abuse of public trust. He also noted that the convict deployed proxy companies and associates to siphon and benefit from funds meant for critical national infrastructure.

Mamman, who served as Minister of Power between 2019 and 2021 under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari, supervised Nigeria’s power sector and major hydroelectric projects, including the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.

Following his conviction, the court ordered that he be arrested and produced before it on May 13, 2026, for sentencing. However, the convict failed to appear in court on the scheduled date, prompting the court to proceed with sentencing in his absence.

Justice Omotosho subsequently sentenced Mamman to seven years imprisonment each on Counts 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 without an option of fine. He was also sentenced to three years imprisonment on Count 4 with an option of N10 million fine and two years imprisonment on Count 5 without an option of fine.

The court further ordered that the sentences run consecutively, bringing the total jail term to 75 years.

Apart from the conviction, Mamman is also facing another corruption trial before the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Abuja, over alleged N31 billion fraud.

On May 11, 2026, Justice Maryanne Anenih issued a bench warrant for his arrest following his failure to appear for proceedings in the matter involving him and seven others.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Kwara Gov Endorses Yahaya Seriki as Successor

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, has endorsed Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor ahead of the 2027 governorship election in the state under the platform of the All Progressives Congress.

The governor made the announcement in a Facebook post on Tuesday.

Announcing his preferred successor, the governor said the decision followed what he described as extensive consultations with party stakeholders and leadership structures across the state.

“Following extensive consultations with party structures and leadership, I am pleased to endorse Ambassador Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki as my preferred successor under the platform of our party, the All Progressives Congress (APC),” the statement read.

The governor described Yahaya Seriki as a youthful and people-oriented politician with strong political mobilisation capacity and widespread grassroots acceptance across the state.

“Young, pro-people, astute, and broad-minded, Amb. Yahaya Seriki has been a great political mobiliser with profound investments in and extensive goodwill among the people of Kwara State.

Advert

“I have no doubt about his capacity and that his choice is appropriate for the people of our state at this time,” AbdulRazaq added.

The governor, however, clarified that his endorsement does not invalidate the aspirations of other governorship hopefuls seeking the APC ticket ahead of the party’s primary election slated for Thursday, May 21, 2026.

“While this does not in any way preclude all other aspirants from contesting in the primaries, I urge members and leaders to affirm the choice of Seriki as our candidate for cohesion, unity, and continuous success of the party as we hold our gubernatorial primaries on Thursday, May 21, 2026,” he said.

AbdulRazaq also stressed that the endorsement should not be interpreted as a rejection of other aspirants jostling for the party’s ticket, noting that all contenders possess commendable leadership qualities.

“The choice of Amb. Yahaya Seriki is neither a disapproval of any of our eminently qualified aspirants nor a whimsical attempt to delegitimise the noble aspirations of our people.

“But in a race involving some 16 great minds for one office, only one person can take the shot at a time,” the governor stated.

He further commended the conduct and maturity displayed by the governorship aspirants within the ruling party, praising their commitment to sustaining the achievements of his administration.

“Finally, I acknowledge and commend the statesmanship of our aspirants, all of whom have shown discipline and impressive capacity to build on the undeniable achievements of our administration over the last seven years for the good of the people of Kwara State,” the statement added.

The endorsement is expected to shape the dynamics of the APC governorship primary in the state, with Yahaya Seriki emerging as a leading contender in the race to succeed AbdulRazaq in 2027.

AbdulRazaq, who is expected to complete his constitutionally mandated two-term tenure by 2027, recently participated in the APC senatorial primary for the Kwara Central Senatorial District ticket.

Continue Reading

Trending