Connect with us

News

Death Toll Of NNN Beneficiaries Awaiting Northern Govs Payment Hits 106

Published

on

Death Toll Of NNN Beneficiaries Awaiting Northern Govs Payment Hits 106

 

 

 

Beneficiaries of New Nigerian Newspapers (NN) Ltd, under Northern States Governors Forum (NSGF) have lamented the protracted dilemma of non payment of their benefits amounting to N2.1B stressing that the death toll of members waiting for this benefit have reached 106 as January 2025.

 

A statement signed by Alhaji Sadiq Tela on behalf of Elders Forum and Friday Sule for Joint Union of the New Nigerian Newspapers, said, “following the recent out of Court settlement between Northern Governors Versus Albert Iweka and Co which was adopted on the 27th of November, 2024 by the Federal High Court as facilitated by New Nigerian Beneficiaries, expectations have being high given the extreme poverty orchestrated by this pending benefits.

Advert

 

“Recall that the duo of Barrister Iweka and Idi Sule all former workers of the New Nigerian Newspapers had dragged Northern Governors to Court over payments of check off dues and later obtained a garnishee order that freezed New Capital Properties Limited (NCPL) account where the proceeds of sales of NNN assets was domiciled in.

 

“Following the painstaking efforts by New Nigerian Beneficiaries, the matter was squashed and all garnishee orders instituted earlier vacated and all parties duely settled except New Nigerian Beneficiaries.” It stressed

 

He pointed that “more than 100 days after the vacation of the 10 years old scorging court matter, all New Nigerian Beneficiaries who served the 19 Northern Governors are still wondering in the wilderness in pains and gnashing of teeth.

 

The worker however lauded the incumbent Secretary to the State Government of Kaduna have so far soothed our wounds via strategic engagements with the Northern Nigeria Development Company and the Northern Governors Secretariats. “These efforts are Consoling but given the reality of the economic hardship the over 800 Beneficiaries who have almost 10,000 mouths to feed are already in tears.” He added.

 

It maintained that “the Northern Governors under the leadership of Governor Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe State have the deciding powers for the destiny of almost 1000 New Nigerian Beneficiaries

 

“We sized this opportunity to beg our Northern Governors’ Forum to come to our aid as the death toll of NNN beneficiaries awaiting payment has reached 106 as at January 2025.

 

“In the Spirit of Ramadan, we beg our Northern Governors to show mercy on our families as most of us are unable to Break fast.”

News

Nigerian Army’s 1 Div commences Inter-Brigade Combat Competition in Kano

Published

on

 

The Nigerian Army has commenced the 2026 1 Division Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition in Kano to assess and enhance the operational readiness, physical fitness and combat capabilities of its officers.

Declaring the competition open, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 1 Division Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Abubakar Mohammed-Wase, said the annual exercise was designed to sharpen troops’ skills and improve their capacity to respond to emerging security challenges.

Represented by Chief of Staff, 1 Division, Brig.-Gen. Timothy Opurum, said the competition was in line with the Chief of Army Staff’s Command Philosophy of transforming the Nigerian Army into a more professional, adaptable, combat-ready and resilient force capable of discharging its constitutional responsibilities within a joint and multi-agency environment.

The GOC added that the exercise would provide an opportunity for officers from participating formations to demonstrate their proficiency in physical fitness, leadership, tactical competence, mental alertness and ability to operate effectively under pressure.

According to him, the competition involves three formations under the division, including 1 Division Garrison, 3 Brigade and 31 Artillery Brigade, competing in four events.

The events are weapon handling and combat shooting, map reading, endurance run and obstacle crossing, as well as combat swimming.

“The competition is aimed at improving leadership skills, organisational ability and initiative, while promoting esprit de corps among troops in preparation for enhanced performance in battle,” he said.

The GOC noted that the nation’s current security environment required commanders who were not only professionally competent but also physically and mentally prepared to confront complex operational challenges.

Advert

He described the competition as a vital platform for improving the resilience and combat proficiency required by officers in carrying out their constitutional responsibilities.

Mohammed -Wase urged participating formations to uphold the values of loyalty, discipline and integrity, adding that the objective of the exercise was beyond winning but to improve individual and collective operational capabilities.

“To the participating officers, I encourage you to see this competition as an opportunity to test yourselves, learn from one another and identify areas requiring further improvement,” he said.

He commended troops operating in various theatres for their efforts in ensuring peace and stability in the country, attributing improvements in operational capacity to effective leadership, sound planning and logistics support.

The GOC also appreciated the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu, for providing resources and support for the competition, as well as the Commander, 3 Brigade, for providing facilities and logistics assistance.

He urged umpires and officials to ensure fairness, impartiality and professionalism throughout the competition.

Earlier, Commander, 3 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Saka Jimoh, said the competition was designed to test the competence, confidence and ability of officers to perform effectively under challenging operational conditions.

According to him, the exercise would also strengthen leadership, teamwork, discipline and professionalism among participating personnel.

“The Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition is a significant professional activity designed to assess, strengthen and sustain the physical fitness, mental alertness, combat skills and operational effectiveness of participating officers.

“It provides an opportunity for officers to demonstrate their competence, confidence and ability to perform optimally under demanding and challenging conditions,” he said.

He said the activities were carefully selected to test individual competence and the ability of officers to operate effectively under pressure.

Jimoh appreciated the GOC for providing strategic guidance and support towards the successful hosting of the event.

He said the support demonstrated the commitment of the command to sustaining professional competence and operational readiness across the division.

“I sincerely appreciate the resources and other necessary support made available for this event. This gesture has significantly enhanced the Brigade’s ability to organise and host the competition,” he said.

He expressed optimism that the exercise would further enhance collective combat proficiency, teamwork and operational effectiveness among officers of the division.

3 Brigade, Nigerian Army, won the Stripping and Assembling Competition, while 31 Artillery Brigade, Minna, Nigerian Army, emerged second and 1 Division Garrison, Kaduna, came third.

The competition involving officers from the rank of 2nd Lieutenant to Major, will end in Aug. 20.

Continue Reading

News

Human Rights Lawyer Abba Hikima Urges EFCC to Release Blogger After 30 Days in Detention

Published

on

 

Kano-based human rights lawyer, Barrister Abba Hikima, has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to release blogger Maryam Shehu, who he says has been in the agency’s custody for more than 30 days without being charged with an offence.

Hikima made the call in a statement published on his verified Facebook page, where he expressed concern over the circumstances surrounding Shehu’s arrest and continued detention.

According to the lawyer, Shehu, a Kano-based blogger, was arrested in Kano and subsequently taken to Abuja for detention by the EFCC after allegedly raising allegations of corruption involving officials of the anti-graft agency.

Hikima questioned the justification for the blogger’s prolonged detention, insisting that she should either be charged before a competent court if she committed an offence or released immediately.

“Maryam did not steal. She did not defraud anyone. Yet, EFCC detained her for over 30 days,” Hikima stated.

Advert

The lawyer alleged that Shehu was not being investigated for conventional economic and financial crimes such as stealing, fraud or money laundering. He also raised concerns about the EFCC’s alleged involvement as complainant and investigator in a matter in which allegations had reportedly been made against some of its own officials.

 

Hikima further alleged that Shehu was lured by an EFCC official under the guise of a business opportunity before she was arrested in Kano and transported to Abuja.

He described the allegation as troubling and called for an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the blogger’s arrest and detention.

The lawyer also claimed that Shehu had been denied bail and had remained in custody for more than 30 days.

He argued that prolonged detention without trial should not be used as a form of punishment, stressing that an investigation should not amount to a conviction.

“If Maryam committed any offence, charge her before a competent court. Otherwise, release her immediately and allow an independent investigation into the allegations against the EFCC officials,” Hikima said.

Calls for Human Rights Intervention

Hikima disclosed that he and his legal team were working on court papers concerning the matter. He also appealed to human rights organisations to urgently intervene and ensure that Shehu’s fundamental rights are protected.

The lawyer said the case raises broader concerns about due process, the rights of persons in detention and the need for transparency when allegations involve officials of a law enforcement agency.

“Investigation is not punishment. Release Maryam Shehu or charge her to court,” he said, using the hashtag #FreeMaryamShehu to amplify the campaign for her release.

The allegations contained in Hikima’s statement could not independently establish Shehu’s legal status or the specific grounds for her detention.

 

Continue Reading

News

Kano Govt Faults TRACKA Report on ₦235.4m School Project

Published

on

 

The Kano State Government has refuted a report by TRACKA, a civic accountability platform under BudgIT, concerning an alleged ₦235.4 million expenditure on the construction of classroom blocks at Government Girls Senior Secondary School, Permanent Site, Massu, in Sumaila Local Government Area.

 

The State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, made the clarification while addressing journalists at a press briefing, saying the government considered it necessary to set the record straight and prevent the public from being misled by information contained in the report.

Waiya said the administration of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf remained committed to transparency, accountability and prudent management of public resources, stressing that government projects were executed through established procedures and supported by appropriate documentation.

Advert

According to him, the reference in the TRACKA report to an alleged ₦235.4 million expenditure on classroom construction had generated considerable public interest and therefore required official clarification.

 

The Commissioner said the government would continue to provide accurate information on its projects, expenditures and development programmes whenever questions arose, assuring residents that official records remained available to clarify issues of public concern.

He reaffirmed the administration’s commitment to transforming the education sector through the construction and renovation of schools, as well as the provision of essential infrastructure and facilities across the state.

Waiya urged civil society organisations, the media and members of the public to exercise caution when relying on reports concerning government expenditure, advising them to seek clarification from relevant authorities before drawing conclusions.

 

He also said the Kano State Government remained open to constructive engagement with TRACKA, BudgIT and other accountability organisations, noting that credible scrutiny, verification and dialogue were essential to strengthening transparency and improving public service delivery.

 

The Commissioner assured the people of Kano that the government would continue to uphold accountability and make relevant information concerning its projects and programmes available to the public whenever necessary

Continue Reading

Trending