Connect with us

News

The North always supports Yoruba Presidency – OPF replies OPC

Published

on

The Press Conference

 

Moved by the recent threat to the North by the Oodu’a Peoples Congress (OPC) on the issue of contesting the National Assembly leadership sharing formula announced by the National Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress, the Oodu’a Peoples Frontiers (OPF) said, time immemorial, the North has always supported Yoruba Presidency.

In a statement issued to the media signed by the convener, OPF, Comrade Moses Oluwasegun Odewale said, the threat by the OPC, is in no way representative of the views of the decent Yoruba nation and should not be seen as such.

The statement said, “If anything, the threats, though empty and unsolicited, are embarrassing, shameful and only expose the inconsistencies of the OPC and other groups like the Afenifere that pose as representatives of the entire Yoruba nation.

IGP Usman Baba warns against subversive actions ahead of Nigeria’s presidential inauguration

“Whether OPC, Afenifere or any other group from any region wants to believe it or not, available facts and figures prove that the North is majorly responsible for the emergence of the Asiwaju as APC flag bearer and to his eventual victory at the polls.

“We cannot forget so quickly that eleven APC governors of Northern Nigerian states stood firmly against all odds and ensured that power moved to the South and to the Southwest in particular which paved the way for Tinubu’s emergence.

“And there is no disputing the fact that Tinubu’s final victory at the polls was secured by the northern votes which made up 60 percent of the total votes he got, far and above what he got in the Southwest.”

Advert

Odewale, reminded that, facts of history have shown how the North had been consistent with its support for a Yoruba presidency even at the expense of candidates from the North.

“During the 1993 elections, Bashorun Abiola contested on the platform of the Social Democratic Party, partly due to the influence of a northern force presented by the late General Shehu Yar’Adua.

“And at the polls, the Northern votes comprehensively went to Abiola to ensure his success over their own son, Alhaji Bashir Tofa, a prominent, respected personality.

“Record shows that of the 6.6 million votes that had been announced before the annulment, Tofa had received 2.3 million and Abiola  4.3 million of which more than half came from the North.

“Abiola won all the states of the south-west; three of the seven states in the south-east; five of the nine northern states including Kano, Tofa’s state; and four out of the seven states in the central middle belt.”

He further revealed that the gesture was replicated when Olusegun Obasanjo was released from prison by the northern establishment, made a candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party by the northern elite and voted for the presidency by the northern voters in 1999.

“On all these three occasions such self-professed Yoruba protection groups as the Afenifere and OPC were nowhere visible, in fact they only surfaced after the June 12 annulment to bask in the glory of what they did participate in.

“Also in 1999,  Afenifere and the OPC led the Yoruba nation to favour Olu Falae while the North worked for Obasanjo’s victory against their son.

“And this time around, Afenifere openly declared opposition to Tinubu, OPC was missing in the field while the North did all the work.”

From its viewpoint, the OPF believes that by making it look like the OPC are protecting their son, the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, it has ended up exposing him in particular and the South-west several political vulnerabilities in the future.

“It is therefore the peak of insanity, shamelessness and ingratitude for the OPC or any Southwest group to reward the North with threats in the false presence of defending their son whom they rejected earlier.”

OPF, therefore, emphatically dissociates the decent Yoruba nation from these threats to the North in particular and to any other section of the country while condemning with all might the uncivilized action of OPC that threatens the long standing political friendship that exists between the North and the Southwest.

OPF further called on the President-elect not to fall for the dirty game of the OPC and Afenifere which only aims to pitch him against his most reliable traditional political allies.

“Asiwaju should as much as possible distance himself from agents of destabilisation operating in various guises and instead concentrate on governance and the task of nation-building with justice and equity to all.”

News

El-Rufai Writes NSA, Demands Explanation on Alleged Procurement of Deadly Poison to Nigeria

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, has formally requested clarification from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) regarding the alleged procurement of a highly toxic chemical substance, Thallium Sulphate.

In a letter dated January 30, 2026, and addressed to National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu, El-Rufai stated he was acting “as a concerned citizen” to seek details about what he described as the procurement of approximately 10 kilograms of the substance, reportedly sourced from a supplier in Poland. The letter was received by ONSA on February 11, 2026.

According to Science Direct, Thallium sulfate is an extremely hazardous substance. It is a tasteless, odourless, and colourless crystalline powder historically used as a potent rodenticide and insecticide. Due to its extreme toxicity—with a fatal human dose estimated to be as low as 8 to 12 milligrammes per kilogramme—its use is tightly restricted or banned in many countries. The chemical mimics potassium in the body, leading to severe nervous system damage, hair loss, and potentially death.

The letter, titled “Request for Clarification on the Procurement of Thallium Sulphate,” raises several critical questions regarding the purpose, regulatory compliance, and safety measures surrounding the reported acquisition.

Advert

El-Rufai wrote that he was seeking clarification as a concerned citizen based on information available to the political opposition leadership about a procurement of approximately 10 kilogrammes of Thallium Sulphate by ONSA, reportedly from a supplier in Poland. Highlighting the grave danger posed by the substance, he stressed the need for transparency, noting that because thallium salts are highly toxic and tightly controlled substances, it was important for public safety, democratic accountability, and maintaining public trust to confirm specific details.

He therefore sought clarification on the intended purpose and end-use of the imported Thallium Sulphate, the supplier’s identity, and whether the material was imported under an existing chemical or defence permit. He also requested information on the total quantity and specific form or concentration being procured or already procured, as well as the storage and security arrangements for the material upon arrival.

Furthermore, he asked about the regulatory oversight and coordination with NAFDAC, NCDC, and relevant public-health and environmental agencies, and whether any public-health risk assessments or hazard-mitigation plans had been developed given the compound’s extreme toxicity.

El-Rufai emphasised that his inquiry was made in good faith, with the sole aim of ensuring due process and transparency, rather than inflaming political tensions. He stated that public confidence in the integrity of national institutions is strengthened when potential risks are openly addressed and managed.

The former governor requested continued dialogue with the NSA’s office on the matter and expressed appreciation for a response or a point of contact within the office for further engagement to reassure concerned Nigerian citizens in the opposition.

In a move underscoring the demand for transparency, El-Rufai copied the correspondence to the Directors-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), as well as the National Chairmen of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The inquiry comes amid recent political tension, following claims by the former governor that NSA Ribadu ordered his arrest, an incident that led to a recent altercation at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. It also follows El-Rufai’s assertion that an individual had intercepted a phone conversation confirming the NSA’s involvement in the alleged arrest attempt.

Continue Reading

News

Dangote Salt Rewards 50 Outstanding Customers with Trucks, Cash Gifts

Published

on

 

NASCON Allied Industries Plc, also known as Dangote Salt, has rewarded 50 outstanding customers with Trucks and cash gifts worth billions of naira, for their loyalty and commitment in selling of its various products.

The lucky Distributors and customers were honoured at the seasoning giant’s 2025 Customers Dinner and Awards Night attended by Africa’s foremost industrialist and President of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, and Vice President, Olakunle Alake.

NASCON Allied Industries Plc, a subsidiary of Dangote Industries Limited, is a Nigerian company and manufacturer of Refined Salt and Dangote Classic Seasonings.

Speaking at the event, Thursday in Abuja, The group President, Mr. Aliko Dangote said the Customer Awards Night publicly acknowledges the company’s core value of Customer Service and aligns with its vision of being a world-class consumer goods company.
The President also commended the company’s Board chairman, management and staff for their unwavering dedication, professionalism, and consistent contributions to the organization’s growth and sustained market leadership.

He noted that their commitment to excellence, operational efficiency, and strong work ethic has continued to strengthen the company’s reputation and drive its long-term success.

He said: “Recognizing customers is not just good relationship management – it is good business. It sends a clear message to our people that customer service is truly one of our core values. Looking ahead, we will continue to invest in brand equity, supply chain efficiency, sustainability, and digital capabilities. But these investments only create value when they are aligned with customer realities. Your continued engagement and feedback remain critical.”
In his speech, Board Chairman of NASCON Allied Industries Plc and Dangote Group’s Vice President, Olakunle Alake said: “As a quoted company, we are accountable to shareholders, regulators and the investing public. But the confidence of thmarketmarket is ultimately rooted in the market performance, and market performance depends on customers who believe in our brands. “

Advert

The Board Chairman said from the Board’s perspective, “customer service is not just a core value, it is a strategic asset.”

Mr. Alake described the Awards as a celebration of partnership, adding that success cannot be built in isolation.

The newly appointed Group Executive Director of the Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals, Fatima Aliko Dangote, expressed her appreciation to customers for their enduring loyalty and continued trust in the brand.

She said this steadfast support has been a cornerstone of the company’s growth and success.

She said: “Each of you has demonstrated outstanding commitment to our brands, whether through sustained volume growth, market expansion, execution excellence, or long-standing loyalty. Your success is inseparable from our own.”

Speaking at the event, Mariya Aliko Dangote, recently appointed Group Executive Director, Commercial (Cement and Foods) at Dangote Industries Limited, noted that each of the award recipients has demonstrated exceptional loyalty and outstanding commitment to the company’s brands.

“I recently assumed the responsibility of our foods business in the capacity of Group Executive Director, Commercial operations, and one truth is already clear to me: our success is built with you and with your unwavering support,” she said.

She said true success is built from the market and feedback from customers.

The Managing Director of NASCON Allied Industries Plc, Aderemi Saka, stated that the central message of the awards night was to celebrate and appreciate the company’s customers, noting that the organization’s success is closely tied to the growth and prosperity of its customers.

Speaking on behalf of the awardees, Ali Balarabe, commended the Board, management, and staff of the company for their exceptional service and dedication.

Mr. Balarabe, who was rewarded with a 20-tonnage truck and cash credit expressed appreciation for the recognition, noting that it reflects the company’s commitment to excellence.

Balarabe further pledged to sustain his loyalty and continued support, promising to remain a steadfast and devoted customer in the years ahead.

Other customers who received truckload awards and cash credits include Alhaji Ibrahim Achida, Muabsa Integrated Services, Fanisau Enterprises, Idris Saleh Nigeria Limited, Sani Adamu Trader, and GIA Global Concept, among others.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Senate, Reps to Resume Plenary on Tuesday for Crucial Deliberations

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The National Assembly has announced that both the Senate and the House of Representatives will reconvene plenary sessions on Tuesday, February 17, 2026.

The announcement was made on Sunday by the Clerk to the National Assembly, Mr. Kamoru Ogunlana, in a statement urging lawmakers to adjust their schedules to ensure full attendance, as critical decisions are expected during the sessions.

“I am directed to inform all Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members of the National Assembly that the Senate and House of Representatives shall reconvene Plenary session at 11:00am on Tuesday, 17th February 2026 respectively,” the statement read.

“Consequently, all Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members are kindly requested to take note and reschedule their engagements accordingly to enable them attend the session, as very crucial decisions shall be taken by each Chamber during the session.”

Advert

The National Assembly did not disclose the specific matters to be deliberated upon.

Lawmakers had earlier suspended plenary to allow more time for the defence of the 2026 budget proposals by Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).

However, indications emerged over the weekend that the House of Representatives may convene for an emergency sitting to consider matters arising from the Electoral Act Amendment Bill. This follows the recent release of the 2027 general election timetable by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The decision to reconvene was reportedly conveyed to lawmakers in an internal memorandum issued by the Office of the Speaker, according to a statement released on Friday night by the House spokesman, Mr. Akin Rotimi.

The INEC timetable has sparked debate over certain dates that are expected to clash with the Ramadan period, which is projected to fall between February 7 and 8, 2027. Several Nigerians, including senators, have raised concerns about the potential conflict, arguing that the fasting period could hinder electoral activities.

Tuesday’s session is therefore expected to consider possible adjustments to the electoral timetable to ensure that the Ramadan period does not interfere with scheduled election activities.

Continue Reading

Trending