Connect with us

News

The North always supports Yoruba Presidency – OPF replies OPC

Published

on

The Press Conference

 

Moved by the recent threat to the North by the Oodu’a Peoples Congress (OPC) on the issue of contesting the National Assembly leadership sharing formula announced by the National Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress, the Oodu’a Peoples Frontiers (OPF) said, time immemorial, the North has always supported Yoruba Presidency.

In a statement issued to the media signed by the convener, OPF, Comrade Moses Oluwasegun Odewale said, the threat by the OPC, is in no way representative of the views of the decent Yoruba nation and should not be seen as such.

The statement said, “If anything, the threats, though empty and unsolicited, are embarrassing, shameful and only expose the inconsistencies of the OPC and other groups like the Afenifere that pose as representatives of the entire Yoruba nation.

IGP Usman Baba warns against subversive actions ahead of Nigeria’s presidential inauguration

“Whether OPC, Afenifere or any other group from any region wants to believe it or not, available facts and figures prove that the North is majorly responsible for the emergence of the Asiwaju as APC flag bearer and to his eventual victory at the polls.

“We cannot forget so quickly that eleven APC governors of Northern Nigerian states stood firmly against all odds and ensured that power moved to the South and to the Southwest in particular which paved the way for Tinubu’s emergence.

“And there is no disputing the fact that Tinubu’s final victory at the polls was secured by the northern votes which made up 60 percent of the total votes he got, far and above what he got in the Southwest.”

Advert

Odewale, reminded that, facts of history have shown how the North had been consistent with its support for a Yoruba presidency even at the expense of candidates from the North.

“During the 1993 elections, Bashorun Abiola contested on the platform of the Social Democratic Party, partly due to the influence of a northern force presented by the late General Shehu Yar’Adua.

“And at the polls, the Northern votes comprehensively went to Abiola to ensure his success over their own son, Alhaji Bashir Tofa, a prominent, respected personality.

“Record shows that of the 6.6 million votes that had been announced before the annulment, Tofa had received 2.3 million and Abiola  4.3 million of which more than half came from the North.

“Abiola won all the states of the south-west; three of the seven states in the south-east; five of the nine northern states including Kano, Tofa’s state; and four out of the seven states in the central middle belt.”

He further revealed that the gesture was replicated when Olusegun Obasanjo was released from prison by the northern establishment, made a candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party by the northern elite and voted for the presidency by the northern voters in 1999.

“On all these three occasions such self-professed Yoruba protection groups as the Afenifere and OPC were nowhere visible, in fact they only surfaced after the June 12 annulment to bask in the glory of what they did participate in.

“Also in 1999,  Afenifere and the OPC led the Yoruba nation to favour Olu Falae while the North worked for Obasanjo’s victory against their son.

“And this time around, Afenifere openly declared opposition to Tinubu, OPC was missing in the field while the North did all the work.”

From its viewpoint, the OPF believes that by making it look like the OPC are protecting their son, the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, it has ended up exposing him in particular and the South-west several political vulnerabilities in the future.

“It is therefore the peak of insanity, shamelessness and ingratitude for the OPC or any Southwest group to reward the North with threats in the false presence of defending their son whom they rejected earlier.”

OPF, therefore, emphatically dissociates the decent Yoruba nation from these threats to the North in particular and to any other section of the country while condemning with all might the uncivilized action of OPC that threatens the long standing political friendship that exists between the North and the Southwest.

OPF further called on the President-elect not to fall for the dirty game of the OPC and Afenifere which only aims to pitch him against his most reliable traditional political allies.

“Asiwaju should as much as possible distance himself from agents of destabilisation operating in various guises and instead concentrate on governance and the task of nation-building with justice and equity to all.”

News

President Tinubu Appoints Abel Olumuyiwa As Head Of Service

Published

on

 

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Mr Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, effective August 27, 2026.

Mr Enitan succeeds Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who will retire soon from the Federal Civil Service upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60.

Mr Enitan, from Osun State, is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service.

He has served as Permanent Secretary for seven years and seven months, working at the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President. He is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education.

Advert

He brings considerable institutional experience and a deep understanding of how the Federal Civil Service works to his new responsibility.

President Tinubu expresses his profound appreciation to Mrs Walson-Jack for her distinguished service to the nation and for the reforms, impact and innovations witnessed in the Civil Service during her tenure.

The President wishes her a fulfilling and successful life after service and conveys the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service.

President Tinubu charges the incoming Head of the Civil Service of the Federation to consolidate on the reforms and innovations already underway, deepen professionalism and efficiency across the service, and build a more effective and responsive Civil Service capable of delivering on the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The President further urges Mr Enitan to lead a Civil Service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative, and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations.

Enitan was born on December 12, 1966. He had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife. He later attended the University of Lagos and graduated in 1988 with a B.Sc. in Finance and Banking.

In 2015, Enitan obtained an M.Sc. in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Lafia.

 

Continue Reading

News

Kano Trains Mass Education Officers to Strengthen Adult Learning, Tackle Out-of-School Challenge

Published

on

The Kano State Agency for Mass Education has trained Area Coordinating Officers from all 44 Local Government Areas of the state as part of efforts to strengthen adult and non-formal education and support the government’s ambition of reducing the number of out-of-school children to zero.

The 2 day capacity-building workshop, held  in Zaria, Kaduna State, brought together Area Coordinating Officers, Zonal Directors, Directors and other key personnel of the agency.

The workshop, organised by SAME in collaboration with Non-Formal Development for Education and Health Initiatives (NDEHI), was held under the theme, “Strengthening Leadership, Community Engagement, and Quality Service Delivery in Adult Non-Formal Education in Kano State.”

Declaring the workshop open on behalf of the Commissioner for Education, Dr. Ali Haruna Makoda, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Baffa Bashir Muhammad, said the initiative reflected the Kano State Government’s renewed commitment to advancing adult and non-formal education.

Muhammad praised Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for prioritising education under the administration’s “Education First” agenda, noting that non-formal education remained an important tool for empowering citizens, reducing illiteracy and reaching people who were outside the formal school system.

He commended the Executive Secretary of SAME, Dr. Binta Abubakar, for initiating the workshop, describing it as a landmark step towards strengthening non-formal education delivery in the state.

The Permanent Secretary urged participants to maximise the expertise of the resource persons and ensure that the knowledge acquired translated into measurable improvements in adult literacy and learning programmes across Kano.

Speaking on the objectives of the workshop, the Executive Secretary of SAME, Dr. Binta Abubakar, said the training was designed to refresh the knowledge and strengthen the capacity of personnel responsible for implementing the agency’s programmes across the 44 LGAs.

She said the participants were exposed to modern approaches to leadership, monitoring and evaluation, record keeping, community engagement, learning-centre management and the establishment of new learning centres.

Dr. Abubakar emphasised the need for the agency to improve enrolment, monitoring and evaluation, record management and community participation, while expanding learning opportunities to underserved communities.

She said the ultimate goal was to contribute to the reduction of out-of-school learners and support the state government’s ambition of achieving zero out-of-school children in Kano State.

Advert

The lead facilitator, Dr. Auwalu Halilu, said the workshop was aimed at changing the perception and delivery of adult education by moving beyond the traditional focus on literacy and numeracy.

According to him, modern adult education encompasses literacy, numeracy, life skills, community engagement and practical approaches to addressing societal challenges through adult learning.

Majority of them feel adult education is just about literacy and numeracy. In a more globalized perspective now, it’s modern literacy and numeracy—you have to think about literacy, numeracy, and life skills, including engagement with the community and solving societal problems through adult learning,” Halilu said.

He said the workshop brought together university professors, doctors, field practitioners and other resource persons to expose participants to contemporary methods of delivering adult and non-formal education.

Halilu described the initiative as historically significant, noting that it was the first time staff of the agency, including Area Coordinating Officers from all 44 LGAs, had been sponsored to travel outside Kano State for a capacity-building programme of this nature.

He attributed the development to the support of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and said participants were expected to apply the knowledge acquired to improve the agency’s operations after returning to Kano.

The Chairman of the Kano State School-Based Management Committee (SBMC), Tijjani Haladu Baraya, commended the agency for organising the training outside the state, describing it as an important step towards improving operational efficiency.

Baraya praised Dr. Binta Abubakar for what he described as innovative approaches since assuming leadership of the agency, saying the initiative aligned with the state government’s priority on education.

He appealed to the Ministry of Education and the Kano State Government to sustain adequate budgetary support for the Agency for Mass Education to enable it to consolidate the gains of the training and improve service delivery.

Also speaking, the Kano Municipal Zonal Director, Rabi Hassan Gwarzo, said the workshop had equipped participants with practical knowledge that would help improve the management of learning centres across the state.

Gwarzo said the training provided clearer understanding of modern administrative practices, particularly the implementation and operation of Centre-Based and Community-Based Management Committees (CBMCs).

She said the knowledge gained would help address challenges affecting some local learning centres and pledged to work with community leaders, facilitators and other stakeholders to revive and strengthen centres in Kano Municipal.

She also stressed the need for continuous retraining of facilitators to address administrative lapses and sustain improvements across the centres.

Gwarzo commended Dr. Binta Abubakar, whom she described as “Super ES,” for initiating the programme and urged participants to implement the strategies acquired during the training.

The workshop featured sessions on the foundations of adult and non-formal education, the structure of non-formal education, adult learners, instructional materials, the role of facilitators and the responsibilities of practitioners.

Other areas covered included leadership, community engagement, monitoring and evaluation, record keeping, learning-centre management and strategies for improving service delivery.

The agency said the training was expected to strengthen leadership, improve accountability and equip its personnel with modern tools to deliver more effective adult and non-formal education programmes across Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

SEMA Assesses Sites of Building Collapses, Condoles Families of Nine Victims

Published

on

 

The Executive Secretary of the Kano State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Alhaji Isyaku Abdullahi Kubarachi, accompanied by directors of the Agency, has visited the scenes of recent building collapses within Kano metropolis and condoled with families who lost loved ones in the incidents.

During the visit, the SEMA team inspected the site of the collapsed Khadija Bala Memorisation School, located at No. 1030, Police Station Road, Fagge Local Government Area, where one female student lost her life while eight others were rescued following the collapse of the Islamic school.

The team also visited Dukawa, Gobirawa area of Dala Local Government Area, where the residence of Malam Mutari Abdulhamidu collapsed, resulting in the death of his four children.

Advert

Similarly, at Gaida, four people reportedly lost their lives following the collapse of a residential building.

The Executive Secretary, alongside a representative of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), expressed deep sympathy and condolences to the bereaved families, praying for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and wishing the survivors a speedy recovery.

Alhaji Isyaku Abdullahi Kubarachi urged members of the public to strictly adhere to approved building regulations and safety standards, particularly during periods of heavy rainfall, when building structures may become more vulnerable to collapse.

In a statement, SEMA spokesperson Jamil Sagir Danbala said the Executive Secretary further called on property owners, developers and residents to avoid compromising building standards and to promptly report any signs of structural weakness to the relevant authorities.

Continue Reading

Trending