Connect with us

News

CITAD Urges INEC, NITDA, Others To Respect Citizens’ Data Rights,Privacy

Published

on

 

By Ozumi Abdul

The Centre for Information Technology and Development (CITAD) has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and its sister government agencies such as National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria Data Protection Bureau (NDPB), National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy, National Human Rights Commission, as well as all the security agencies in the country to ensure the protection of citizens data, privacy and respect their rights online, during and after the 2023 general elections.

The call was made during a press conference held at the organization’s head office in Kano on Thursday.

While delivering the text of the press conference, the CITAD Digital Right Manager, Ali Sabo declared that it is important to note that the African Declaration on Internet Rights and Freedoms has clearly spelt out that the freedom and privacy of individual online are respected and protected.

He added that these rights correspond to the fundamental rights provided in the Declaration on Human Rights as Freedom of Expression, Right to Information, Freedom of Assembly and Association, as well as the right to personal privacy and dignity.

He said that the UN has recognized the right to Internet as fourth generation rights, and the right to Internet as means to access these offline rights has at its core the issues of Privacy and Personal Data Protection.

Sabo noted that any breach of the above is a negation to Nigerian commitment to Human Rights as well as other international covenants on human rights, including the African Charter on Peoples and Human Rights.

Sabo recalled that before the month of February, preceding the presidential and national assembly elections, that his organization held similar press conference to draw the attentions of the INEC and its sister government agencies to the need to protect and respect the digital rights of the citizens during and after elections.

He said security agencies, especially the police were also enjoined to avoid doing the hatchet job for politicians by unnecessarily arresting citizens as criticisms are part and parcel of democracy, but however regretted that despite this call, that serious cases of intimidations and harassments by the security agents were still recorded in some parts of the country during the last month’s 25, presidential and national assembly elections.

Advert

“Gentlemen of the press, you are aware that in the month of February before the presidential and national assembly elections, we held similar press conference were we drew the attention of the INEC and its sisters government agencies on the need to ensure the protection of the citizens data and privacy.

“Similarly, in the same month we called the attention of the Nigerian Police Force against the arbitrary arrest of citizens on the order of some overzealous politicians who misused their offices to trample on the fundamental human rights of the citizens. It is a well-known fact that “criticism is part and parcel of any democracy and it is one of the cardinal pillars through which democracy is being build”, but governments in Nigeria on many occasions, have displayed arrogance, impunity and lack of tolerance where at any slight instance they have ordered the arrest of the citizens for excising their fundamental human rights of expressing their opinions.

“If you could recall, in presidential and national assembly elections which is being held on the 25th of February, 2023 sad incidences happened in some part of the country, where reported cases of intimidation, harassment and malfunctioning of elections materials such as Biomodal Accreditation System (BVAS) were recorded.

“This month’s press conference is necessary at this time looking at what has happened in the presidential and national assembly elections. It is imperative for us as an organization working on the area of upholding electoral integrity, human rights and digital rights in Nigeria to draw the attention of all the stakeholders, especially security agencies and those who have citizens’ data in their custody, on the importance of protecting and safeguarding the rights of the Nigerian citizens, both online and offline and ensuring that their data is safe and not be misused or tempered with.

“This call is necessary because there is genuine information as we indicated in the previous press conference that government agencies have purchased surveillance systems to track and monitor people, most especially activists, journalists, opponents and those they consider threat to their interests. As Civil Society actors we consider this as a threat to not only the fundamental human rights of the citizens but to our democracy as this exposes citizens to privacy abuse.

“Furthermore, it is important to emphasize the need for respecting the privacy of individuals and ensuring that their data is being kept in a safer place and not allow third person to have access to it.

Consequently, he now called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to ensure the protection and confidentiality of the people’s mandate and not allow anybody to tamper with it, to ensure that all the election electronic materials such BVAS are in good condition in order to avoid what happened in the presidential and national assembly election

He also enjoined the INEC to ensure the early delivery of election materials to polling units across the country, as well as ensuring that all election results are being uploaded to INEC Result Viewing Portal (IREV) as stipulated in the 2022 Electoral Act.

The CITAD Digital Right manager also charged the Nigeria Police Force to desist from being used by politicians to intimidate voters, journalists and election observers during the election , while also calling on the National Information Technology Development Agency, Nigeria Communications Commission, Nigeria Data Protection Bureau, National Identity Management Commission, Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy to not allow themselves to be used or transmit citizens data to a third person for any reason unless this request is by a competent court.

News

Breaking:Ramadan Cresecent Sighted In Saudi Arabia

Published

on

— The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted in Saudi Arabia, confirming that the holy month will begin on Wednesday.

The announcement followed reports from authorized moon sighting committees across the Kingdom, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

With the confirmation, Muslims across Saudi Arabia will begin fasting at dawn on Wednesday, observing the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar with prayers, reflection and charitable acts.

Advert

Ramadan is a period of spiritual devotion marked by daily fasting from dawn to sunset, increased worship, and community gatherings.

Mosques across the Kingdom are preparing to receive worshippers for Taraweeh prayers, while authorities have finalized arrangements to ensure smooth services during the holy month.

Government entities and private institutions are also set to implement adjusted working hours in line with Ramadan schedules.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Drama in Reps as Lawmakers Reverse on Electronic Results, Opposition Walks Out

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The House of Representatives on Tuesday rescinded its earlier decision on Clause 60(3) of the Electoral Act amendment bill, adopting instead the version earlier passed by the Senate, which allows both electronic and manual transmission of election results.

The decision followed an emergency sitting and sparked protest from opposition lawmakers, who staged a walkout from the chamber while chanting, “APC, ole! APC, ole!” in open dissent.

The House had initially approved a stricter provision mandating compulsory electronic transmission of results from each polling unit to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Result Viewing (IREV) portal.

Advert

The earlier version stipulated that: “The Presiding Officer shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the IREV portal and such transmission shall be done after the prescribed Form EC8A has been signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and/or countersigned by the candidates or polling agents where available at the polling unit.”

However, at Tuesday’s sitting, lawmakers reconsidered the clause and aligned with the Senate’s version, which introduces a caveat in the event of technical failure.

Under the adopted provision, while electronic transmission remains mandatory, it provides that where such transmission fails due to communication challenges, making it impossible to upload results electronically, the manually completed Form EC8A—duly signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and countersigned by candidates or polling agents where available—shall remain the primary basis for collation and declaration of results.

The reversal has heightened political tension within the chamber, with opposition members expressing concern that the amendment could weaken safeguards around electronic transmission of election results.

Continue Reading

News

Health Ministry Enforces Federal Directive, Retires Directors with Eight Years’ Service

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Federal Ministry of Health has ordered an immediate disengagement of Directors who have spent at least eight years in the directorate cadre with immediate effect.

The directors affected include those in the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, among others, according to a memo sighted by our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday morning.

The Federal Government had, on Monday, directed all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies to enforce the eight-year tenure limit for directors and permanent secretaries, following a new deadline set through the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.

The memo announcing the enforcement of the order at the FMOH signed by the Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Health, Tetshoma Dafeta, reads, “Further to the Eight (8)-Year Tenure Policy of the Federal Public Service, which mandates the compulsory retirement of Directors after eight years in that rank, as provided in the Revised Public Service Rules 2021(PSR 020909) copy attached, I am directed to remind you to take necessary action to ensure that all affected officers who have spent eight years as Directors, effective 31st December, 2025, are disengaged from Service immediately.

Advert

“Accordingly, all Heads of Agencies and Parastatals are by this circular, to ensure that the affected staff hand over all official documents/possessions with immediate effect, their salaries are stopped by the IPPIS Unit and mandate the officers to refund to the treasury all emoluments paid after their effective date of disengagement.

“This is reiterated in a circular recently issued by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Ref. No. HSCF/3065/Vol.I/225, dated 10″ February 2026. A copy is herewith attached for guidance, please.

“In addition, you are to forward the nominal roll of all directorate officers
(CONMESS 07/CONHESS 15/CONRAISS 15)

“Failure to adhere to paragraph 2 above shall be met with stiff sanctions.”

Recall that in July 2023, the former Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Folasade Yemi-Esan, announced the commencement of the revised Public Service Rules.

Speaking at a lecture at the State House, Abuja, to mark the 2023 Civil Service Week, Yemi-Esan stated that the revised PSR took effect from July 27, 2023.

The Head of Service issued a circular addressed to Permanent Secretaries, the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Auditor-General for the Federation, and heads of extra-ministerial departments, informing them of the revised rules.

“Following the approval of the revised Public Service Rules (PSR) by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on September 27, 2021, and its subsequent unveiling during the public service lecture in commemoration of the 2023 Civil Service Week, the PSR has become operational with effect from July 27, 2023,” the circular read.

According to Section 020909 of the revised PSR, the tenure limit for permanent secretaries is four years, with a possible renewal based only on satisfactory performance.

The rules also stipulate that a director (GL 17) or their equivalent shall compulsorily retire after eight years in that position.

Continue Reading

Trending