Connect with us

News

Dangote Cement grosses N413.2bn revenue in the first 3 months

Published

on

Aliko Dangote

 

In the first three months of the 2022 financial year, Dangote Cement has recorded a 24.2 percent increase in its revenue and an 18 percent increase in its profit after tax for the same period.

Unaudited results for three months ended 31st March 2022, showed revenue of N413.2 billion and a profit after tax of₦105.9 billion.

Analysis of the cement giant’s three months results indicated that Dangote Cement sold a total volume of 7.2Mt of cement across the group with Nigerian operations accounting for 4.8Mt while the rest of Africa did the balance of 2.4Mt.

Chief Executive Officer, Dangote Cement, Michel Puchercos, in his comments, said that the company started the first quarter on a positive note despite the new uncertainties brought by a very volatile global environment. He stated that increases recorded in revenue and profitability drove strong cash generation across the Group. Profit after Tax rose to ₦105.9 billion, up 18 percent compared to last year while Group EBITDA rose to  ₦211.0 billion, by 18.6 percent with an EBITDA margin of 51.1 percent.

Advert

Puchercos said, “On the operational side, we are ramping up production at our Okpella plant and are progressing well to deploy grinding plants in Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire. Demand remained strong across all markets, and we remain confident that Dangote Cement is positioned to meet customers’ expectations despite these temporary challenges.

Continuing our efforts to deliver shareholder value, Dangote Cement completed the second tranche of its buyback programme. Following the completion of both tranches, Dangote Cement has now bought back 0.98% of its shares outstanding. This share buy-back programme reflects the Company’s commitment in finding opportunities beyond dividend to return cash to shareholders.”

Puchercos added, “the volatile international context is strengthening our efforts to ramp up the usage of alternative fuels and execution of our export-to-import strategy. Reducing our dependence on imported inputs and making our markets self-sufficient has never been more relevant from a regional perspective.

Our continuous focus on efficiency, meeting strong market demand and maintaining our costs leadership drives our ability to consistently deliver superior profitability and value to all shareholders.”

Dangote Cement is Africa’s leading cement producer with nearly 51.6Mta capacity across Africa. A fully integrated quarry-to-customer producer, it has a production capacity of 35.25Mta in its home market, Nigeria. The Obajana plant in Kogi State, Nigeria, is the largest in Africa with 16.25Mta of capacity across five lines; Ibese plant in Ogun State has four cement lines with a combined installed capacity of 12Mta while Gboko plant in Benue state has 4Mta; and  Okpella plant in Edo state has 3Mta.

Through recent investments, Dangote Cement has eliminated Nigeria’s dependence on imported cement and has transformed the nation into an exporter of cement serving neighbouring countries.

News

Call Me Chairman, Not Tony!’: Elumelu’s Blunt Correction of Trainee Splits Internet as Old Video Sparks Double Standard Fury

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

A seemingly brief exchange between United Bank for Africa (UBA) Group Chairman, Tony Elumelu, and a female graduate trainee has erupted into a nationwide conversation about cultural values, corporate etiquette, and the politics of address, after a video of the interaction went viral on social media.

The incident occurred on Thursday, August 20, 2026, during an interactive session at the graduation ceremony for UBA’s Graduate Management Accelerated Programme (GMAP) in Lagos. In the now-viral clip, the trainee began her question by greeting the billionaire businessman with a casual, “Good morning, Tony.”

Mr. Elumelu, who was serving as a mentor at the event, promptly and firmly corrected her. According to multiple reports, he told her: “No, you won’t call me Tony. You call me Mr. Elumelu, or TOE, or Chairman.” He further justified his stance, explaining that he does not subscribe to what he termed the casual, Western-style familiarity in professional settings. “I don’t subscribe to that kind of Oyinbo life, okay!” he added.

The exchange has since polarized the Nigerian public, sparking a fierce debate on social media.

One faction of netizens has rallied behind Mr. Elumelu, arguing that the trainee’s address was a clear sign of disrespect, given his status as the chairman of a major financial institution and his seniority in age. Commentators argued that in a formal setting, the use of a title is a basic sign of respect. One social media user remarked, “Common sense should make you understand that at that moment, you are not talking to your friend, but what he is, a chairman or boss, or at least an adult that is obviously older than you.”

Advert

Conversely, a second group has come to the trainee’s defense. They argue that modern corporate culture, even within Nigerian banks, often encourages a first-name basis to foster a more egalitarian and open work environment. A former UBA staff member, Innocent Istifanus Moses, confirmed that GMAP graduates are typically taught to address colleagues, including senior executives, by their first names. In his view, the trainee’s mistake was not irredeemable, and he advised her to issue a brief, sincere apology. “Mistake–briefly acknowledge–correct it– move on confidently,” wrote one observer.

Accusations of Double Standard Emerge

The debate took a sharper turn when an old video resurfaced online, showing Mr. Elumelu in a 2022 interview with Chisom Obi-Okoye, an MBA student at Stanford Graduate School of Business in the United States. In that footage, the student interviewer addressed him as “Hi Tony” multiple times without any objection or correction from the businessman.

This discovery has led to widespread accusations of a double standard. Critics argue that Mr. Elumelu is willing to accept the casual, “Oyinbo” culture he decried when it suits him in an international setting but enforces a rigid traditional hierarchy at home. One Facebook user, Awuzie Frankline, questioned the inconsistency, stating, “Respect should be consistent not dependent on someone’s status, location or social class.”

Defense: ‘When in Rome, Behave Like The Romans’

In defense of the UBA Chairman, supporters have argued that there is no contradiction, as the two situations occurred in vastly different cultural contexts. They contend that Mr. Elumelu was simply adapting to the norms of his environment—behaving like the Romans while in Rome, as it were. In a formal corporate setting in Nigeria, they argue, it is appropriate to demand the traditional respect that is due to one’s elders and superiors. As one commentator put it, the issue is about “the need to adjust to culture and nuance as they come.”

Beyond the immediate controversy, the incident has opened a wider conversation about generational differences, the clash between traditional African values and Western corporate norms, and the importance of navigating social cues in professional environments.

Jide Akintunde, a social commentator, expressed surprise at Mr. Elumelu’s objection, noting that his first name has been central to his public and industry branding for years. He suggested that the public correction, while perhaps justified, could have been handled privately to avoid humiliating the young trainee.

As of Friday, the young woman at the center of the storm has not made a public statement. The video, however, continues to trend, serving as a potent reminder of the intricate and often unspoken rules that govern professional and social interactions in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Suspends Three Perm Secs as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Agency in SGF Office

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary to the government of the federation (OSGF).

Advert

The president also ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries following fresh findings by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in its investigation into alleged fake government agencies and weaknesses in public service processes.

Continue Reading

News

3 Brigade wins army Inter-brigade combat proficiency competition in Kano

Published

on

 

3 Brigade Nigerian Army, Kano, has emerged overall winner of the 2026 One Division Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition held in Kano.

The brigade secured the first position with 565.5 points, while 31 Artillery Brigade, Minna, Niger State, came second with 539 points. 1 Division Garrison, Kaduna, placed third with 534 points.

The three-day competition featured various military exercises aimed at testing the combat readiness, tactical awareness, physical fitness, leadership skills and professional competence of participating junior and middle-level officers.

The events included weapon handling, combat training, map reading, shooting and obstacle crossing, providing participants with opportunities to sharpen their skills and improve their preparedness for contemporary security operations.

Speaking at the closing ceremony, the Commander, 3 Brigade Nigerian Army, Kano, Brig.-Gen. Saka Jimoh, said the exercise was part of the numerous training programmes organised by Army Headquarters to ensure troops remained adequately prepared to tackle evolving security challenges.

Advert

Jimoh said continuous training and improved welfare of personnel remained key components of the Nigerian Army’s efforts to enhance operational effectiveness.

He added that the competition demonstrated the commitment of the Army to developing officers with the required skills, discipline and leadership qualities needed for effective command responsibilities.

“Welfare is one of the pillars of our command philosophy, and one very important aspect of it is the soldiers’ health concept. That is what we, as commanders in the Nigerian Army, are after to ensure the welfare of both our officers and men,” he said.

On security challenges within the brigade’s area of responsibility, including Kano and neighbouring states, Jimoh said criminal elements were feeling the impact of sustained Army operations.

He attributed the progress recorded to the training of troops and effective use of credible intelligence, assuring that the Army would continue to work towards eliminating criminal elements within its area of responsibility.

Earlier, the Special guest of honor, the Commandant, Nigeria Navy Logistics College, Dawakin Tofa, Kano, Commodore Abubakar Madawaki, commended participants for demonstrating courage, discipline, leadership, tactical awareness, physical fitness and commitment to duty throughout the competition.

Madawaki said continuous training remained critical to preparing officers for the complex demands of modern military operations, adding that the competition provided an avenue for junior and middle-level officers to improve their combat skills and decision-making abilities.

He congratulated the winners and encouraged other participants to regard the experience gained as an opportunity for professional growth.

Continue Reading

Trending