Connect with us

News

 COVID19: Kano Private Schools lost over 1.6 Billion Naira

Published

on

Kano Kids in Private Schools

Abbas Yushau Yusuf

 

Due to the shutdown of all schools in Kano state beginning from March 23, 2020, The Joint Association of Private Schools in Kano says they have lost more than 1.6 billion Naira to the pandemic.

 

 

 

 

 

In a communiqué issued by Engineer, Bashir Adamu Aliyu said Kano State Ministry of Education released a press statement on Wednesday 28th October 2020 indicating the possibility of a cancellation of the 3rd Term of 2019/2020.

 

Since then, school proprietors have been contacting their respective associations trying to understand the situation and make sense of the directive.

 

He said This is what necessitated an update by the Joint Committee of Private and Voluntary Schools Associations in Kano State.

 

 

According to Engineer Bashir Adamu Aliyu   the fact that their members are equally faced with economic challenges resulting from the shutdown, the fact that most of our members use rented properties and many could not meet up with their rents, financial obligations and debt servicing during the lockdown.

 

The Joint Association Observed that they have over 3,000 schools in Kano State, and the  Associations provide employment to over 100,000 staff, give affordable, qualitative education to more than 600,000 students, and generate billions of Naira in revenue for the real estate, publishers, furniture and other affiliated businesses and industries.

 

 

The association also noted that a few dozen private schools were fumigated along with public schools in preparation for SSCE and NECO examinations, while some of the final year students were given facemasks to help them comply with COVID-19 protocols.

 

 

 

The association also lamented nonreceipt of financial assistance from the State Government despite  on Thurs October 22, 2020, they submitted a passionate appeal to Governor Ganduje through the  Commissioner, Kano State Ministry of Education,

Advert

 

Nigerian Ambassador to Jordan Haruna Ungogo is Dead

 

According to the Lagos State government has launched an N5,000,000,000 (Five Billion Naira) support fund to help reduce the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on low-cost private schools in the state, because the educational sector is one of those severely impacted by the pandemic, with schools and vocational learning-centers shut since March.”

 

 

 

They also cited example with  Kwara State Government setting aside the sum of N135,500,000 (One Hundred and Thirty-Five Million Naira) under the Kwara State Social Investment Programme (KWASSIP) as an interest-free loan to 1,119 private school owners across the state, as salary support for their workers to prevent massive loss of job and poverty surge in the education sub-sector.

 

That even in those States where financial support was provided to the schools, none of them was requested to discount their schools’ fees.

We are willing to reduce 5 Percent Fees For Third Term-Kano Private Schools

 

They said, even though they appreciate the Federal Government efforts to assist the staff of private schools with some relief packages, it is yet to materialise, and is only applicable to 10 persons only per school and for only 3 months. 8.

 

 

 

“That all the Federal Government Colleges are currently conducting the 3rd term of the 2019/2020 Session, they are collecting their full school fees and rejecting any child whose parents cannot pay”

 

 

The Joint Association of Private Schools further calls on all members to remain calm, law-abiding and cooperate with all relevant authorities, to ensure the smooth running of schools and maintain the peaceful atmosphere in the State.

 

They also reassure their members that they are still discussing and contacting the authorities concerned to clarify the issues and arrive at an informed decision, as critical stakeholders in education, hence the question of threatening us to take a hasty stance does not even arise.

 

They also lament the loss of more than 1.65 Billion Naira to the pandemic for the 7-month abstinence of teaching and learning in Nigerian Schools.

 

Engineer Bashir noted that canceling 3rd Term and that of school fees discount are two entirely separate issues, each of which should be handled differently, as one affects the public and private schools while the other is exclusive to private schools.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

News

Shamaki Congratulates Yari on Appointment as Tinubu’s Campaign DG

Published

on

 

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Shamakin Marafan Sokoto has congratulated Senator Abdul’aziz Yari Abubakar on his appointment as Director-General of the APC Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.

Shamaki described Yari’s appointment as well deserved, saying his wealth of political experience, leadership qualities and proven track record contributed significantly to his emergence for the important position.

Advert

He said Yari’s experience would play a key role in mobilising support and coordinating the APC’s campaign efforts towards ensuring the success of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the party in the 2027 presidential election.

According to him, the appointment reflects the confidence the APC leadership has in Yari’s capacity to deliver, particularly given his years of experience in politics and governance.

Shamaki expressed optimism that Yari would bring his vast political network and organisational skills

Continue Reading

News

Call Me Chairman, Not Tony!’: Elumelu’s Blunt Correction of Trainee Splits Internet as Old Video Sparks Double Standard Fury

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

A seemingly brief exchange between United Bank for Africa (UBA) Group Chairman, Tony Elumelu, and a female graduate trainee has erupted into a nationwide conversation about cultural values, corporate etiquette, and the politics of address, after a video of the interaction went viral on social media.

The incident occurred on Thursday, August 20, 2026, during an interactive session at the graduation ceremony for UBA’s Graduate Management Accelerated Programme (GMAP) in Lagos. In the now-viral clip, the trainee began her question by greeting the billionaire businessman with a casual, “Good morning, Tony.”

Mr. Elumelu, who was serving as a mentor at the event, promptly and firmly corrected her. According to multiple reports, he told her: “No, you won’t call me Tony. You call me Mr. Elumelu, or TOE, or Chairman.” He further justified his stance, explaining that he does not subscribe to what he termed the casual, Western-style familiarity in professional settings. “I don’t subscribe to that kind of Oyinbo life, okay!” he added.

The exchange has since polarized the Nigerian public, sparking a fierce debate on social media.

One faction of netizens has rallied behind Mr. Elumelu, arguing that the trainee’s address was a clear sign of disrespect, given his status as the chairman of a major financial institution and his seniority in age. Commentators argued that in a formal setting, the use of a title is a basic sign of respect. One social media user remarked, “Common sense should make you understand that at that moment, you are not talking to your friend, but what he is, a chairman or boss, or at least an adult that is obviously older than you.”

Advert

Conversely, a second group has come to the trainee’s defense. They argue that modern corporate culture, even within Nigerian banks, often encourages a first-name basis to foster a more egalitarian and open work environment. A former UBA staff member, Innocent Istifanus Moses, confirmed that GMAP graduates are typically taught to address colleagues, including senior executives, by their first names. In his view, the trainee’s mistake was not irredeemable, and he advised her to issue a brief, sincere apology. “Mistake–briefly acknowledge–correct it– move on confidently,” wrote one observer.

Accusations of Double Standard Emerge

The debate took a sharper turn when an old video resurfaced online, showing Mr. Elumelu in a 2022 interview with Chisom Obi-Okoye, an MBA student at Stanford Graduate School of Business in the United States. In that footage, the student interviewer addressed him as “Hi Tony” multiple times without any objection or correction from the businessman.

This discovery has led to widespread accusations of a double standard. Critics argue that Mr. Elumelu is willing to accept the casual, “Oyinbo” culture he decried when it suits him in an international setting but enforces a rigid traditional hierarchy at home. One Facebook user, Awuzie Frankline, questioned the inconsistency, stating, “Respect should be consistent not dependent on someone’s status, location or social class.”

Defense: ‘When in Rome, Behave Like The Romans’

In defense of the UBA Chairman, supporters have argued that there is no contradiction, as the two situations occurred in vastly different cultural contexts. They contend that Mr. Elumelu was simply adapting to the norms of his environment—behaving like the Romans while in Rome, as it were. In a formal corporate setting in Nigeria, they argue, it is appropriate to demand the traditional respect that is due to one’s elders and superiors. As one commentator put it, the issue is about “the need to adjust to culture and nuance as they come.”

Beyond the immediate controversy, the incident has opened a wider conversation about generational differences, the clash between traditional African values and Western corporate norms, and the importance of navigating social cues in professional environments.

Jide Akintunde, a social commentator, expressed surprise at Mr. Elumelu’s objection, noting that his first name has been central to his public and industry branding for years. He suggested that the public correction, while perhaps justified, could have been handled privately to avoid humiliating the young trainee.

As of Friday, the young woman at the center of the storm has not made a public statement. The video, however, continues to trend, serving as a potent reminder of the intricate and often unspoken rules that govern professional and social interactions in Nigeria.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Suspends Three Perm Secs as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Agency in SGF Office

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary to the government of the federation (OSGF).

Advert

The president also ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries following fresh findings by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in its investigation into alleged fake government agencies and weaknesses in public service processes.

Continue Reading

Trending