Connect with us

News

US, Canada ,Mexico 2026 FIFA World Cup: Kano sports writers , PIN, FOCHPA , others agrees to promote peace

Published

on

 

Sports journalists under the aegis of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, SWAN Kano chapter have reached an understanding with other critical football stakeholders to pursue the single agenda to promote peace and national unity during the 2026 FIFA World cup .

The sports writers during a media parley session organized by Sahel Sports News in collaboration with American Space Kano held at Kano state Library Complex had vowed that in spite of the failure of the Super Eagles of Nigeria to qualify for the world cup, they would resort to the new dimension of setting up an national development agenda through football .

Earlier in his remarks the news editor Sahel Sports News, Abdulgafar Oladimeji had tasked Nigerian journalists to always use the world cup period to set the ball rolling on topics that are geared towards national development .

He said “ the world cup is not just about going to compete and win or lose matches Nigerian journalists must shift their focus from just reporting the participation of Nigeria and other national teams of their interest , in the biggest global sports events like the world cup , our journalists need to fashion out to seize the vacuum to arouse curiosity on critical national and global issues that are associated with SDG and MDG human development agenda .

Abdulgafar said “during the world cup period, as sports journalists let us from now henceforth set and pursue national agenda on issues like Peace, health, economic issues , education, issues of inclusion, human rights, gender based issues, community development, security, issues that affect our lives, lets always not forget that football lives in every aspect of our national lives ”

He added that “ though Nigeria would not be at the world cup, the media can still make Nigeria to be at the world cup by using their platform to help drive discussions around national developmental issues, usually the world cup goes beyond just qualifying to play at the Mondial , the Nigerian media should from now learn to tie the world cup to one or more national issues, I am here today to task Kano sports writers to set the ball rolling. Others across Nigeria follow the trend .”

 

The executive director, Fortress Centre For Human Rights and Peace Advocacy, FOCHPA comrade Abbass Ibrahim, said that peace envelopes all human activities, noting that sports writers should always be conscious of the important need to use their skills in promoting peace, rather than resorting to negativity, just because Nigeria failed to qualify for the world cup they resort to inflammatory reports , this is unprofessional.” Abbass said.

He warned that the media as a tool if not professionally deployed could in contrast become an weapon of destruction, citing the role played by the media in fueling the Rwandan genocide

Abbass urged sports journalists that despite Nigeria would not be at the world cup, they should adopt peace as the world cup set to be won by Nigerians, this he said could be achieved only , if the Nigerian sporting press can dedicate the world cup period to pursue peace building.

 

In his presentation, executive director, Peace Initiative Network, PIN, Femi Shodipo represented by Coach Friday spoke on the inevitable essence of peace in communities , highlighting on how football is an tested effective tool for peace building in communities.

He tasked sports journalists to synergize to take better advantage of those football elements that have proven to be effective towards promoting peace and stability at all times.

He said PIN have invested hugely in the area of peace building through sports programs in communities in Kano and Ogun states, he testified that these investments have yielded positive returns ,adding that the network would always collaborate with sports media practitioners to promote national peace and unity through sports.

Advert

 

The National Executive Committee , NEC member Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, SWAN, Lurwanu Idris Malikawa in his goodwill message had appealed to sports writers to allocate massive media space and emphasis towards reporting grass root sports events.

According to him, there presently exist huge deficit in the reporting of local and national sports events, he lamented that the Nigerian sports media space has been overtaken by the reports and much emphasis on international sports events , this he said has led to the widened decline in sports development and promotion in Nigeria .

 

Explaining that this has played a significant role in the decline of the level of success been recorded by Nigerian national football teams.

Malikawa also decried the failure of the Super Eagles to qualify for the 2026 FIFA world cup, citing that the failure to address issues of development and promotion by stakeholders is responsible , stating that the failure of the Super Eagles to qualify for the2026 FIFA world cup is undoubtedly a failure that should be squarely addressed.

The chairman, Kano NUJ Correspondents’ chapel, comrade Muritala Adewale assured the august gathering that the chapel under his new leadership would revive the old days of good relationship its members enjoyed with sports reporting.

He said sports is amongst the predominant factor in the contemporary world, pledging that the chapel will strengthen its relationship with bodies like SWAN and SWIBODA with the aim to enhance sports reports that will foster sports developments in the state.

He also align with the massive outcry by Nigerians over the failure of the Super Eagles to pick the FIFA 2026 World cup ticket, he described how heart broken it has been for Nigerians to wake up that morning to nurse the pains that their darling national team has again failed to pick the ticket to be at the global stage for the largest world football party.

Adewale said , it is time to address whatever were the hiccups responsible for the monumental decline been witnessed in Nigerian football” this has to be addressed, nobody is happy with our football. At this moment ” He lamented.

The chairman, Nigeria Football Coaches Association, NFCA, Kano , Bar. Ibrahim Gwadabe decried the worrisome state of sports infrastructure in the state , saying that no meaningful sports development could be achieved without the availability of adequate spots infrastructure,

Gwadabe specifically appealed to Kano state government to cease from the disruption of sports facilities in the state, he lamented that the disruption of sports facilities across the state is taking its heavy retrogressive tolls on sports development in the state.

He further lamented that new sport facilities were not springing up rather existing ones are been disrupted or erased entirely without replacement, this would not augur well for the well being of the aging citizens and the development of Kano youths , who both require these facilities not just to shape their health well being, but also to help in the development of future professional athletes.

The secretary, Kano NLO Forum, Lawan Wada, who spoke on behalf of the forum said , NLO clubs in the state were ready to key into the promotion and building of peace through football programmes , assuring that their platform would be made available to support any project that would enhance peace building and its co existence in the state.

The deputy executive director, Sports Without Borders Development Association, SWIBODA, Sydney Emeafu said it is time to go back to the drawing board to confront the challenges facing the development of sports in Nigeria.

He said, “it is no longer time to pretend that all is well with sports in Nigeria, sports no longer put smiles on the face of Nigerians, like it use to do in the past, everyday the tales of our sports performance on the continent and on the international stages leaves us with a bitter taste .

Emeafu said “ Nigeria was the power house of youth football, from being the first world champions , when we won the first U-17 world cup to be hosted in world history in 1985 in China , we dominated the game at this level for years and today we can no longer dominate west Africa, countries like Benin republic and Niger republic can confidently challenge our football power without shivering , where did we get it wrong.”

“before in the world of football by just mentioning the name Nigeria even giant nations like Brazil, France, England they catch cold, but today Lesotho and Zimbabwe and Rwanda can stop us from going to the world cup, 20 years ago I could not have imagined that Benin republic and Lesotho will deny us from going to the world cup, well the earlier we wake cup the better, Nigerian government must wake up and address this challenge, football loving Nigerians should not fold their arms and legs , all must come on deck to save our football.” Emeafu said.

News

Kano IRS Commissions Compliance Office, Raises Revenue Target to N68 Billion

Published

on

 

The Kano State Internal Revenue Service has commissioned a new Compliance and Enforcement Office as part of efforts to strengthen tax administration and improve internally generated revenue across the state.

Speaking during the inauguration ceremony in Kano, the Executive Chairman of the agency, Dr. Zaid Abubakar, said the establishment of the office marked another milestone in the ongoing reforms within the revenue service.

According to him, the agency is determined to significantly increase revenue generation, revealing that the service initially set a target of N35 billion for the year but has now raised expectations for the compliance and enforcement department to deliver as much as N68 billion.

Dr. Abubakar explained that the newly commissioned office would provide staff with a more conducive working environment to improve efficiency and productivity.

“This office is an important component of our service. Previously, the compliance and enforcement team operated from a container facility, but today they now have a befitting environment to work effectively,” he said.

Dr Zaidu Abubakar the executive chairman making a remark

Dr Zaidu Abubakar the executive chairman making a remark

He expressed appreciation to the Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf, for providing political support to the agency’s reforms and modernization efforts.

Advert

“We thank Governor Yusuf for all the political support given to the service. We are also grateful to our technical partners whose contributions have been commendable,” the chairman added.

Dr. Abubakar disclosed that the agency has embarked on a series of infrastructural and technological upgrades aimed at modernizing tax administration in the state. He noted that the service had already commissioned the Gyadi-Gyadi Tax Centre and a new call centre to improve taxpayer engagement and service delivery.

He further announced that another tax office located in Nassarawa would be commissioned within the next two weeks to oversee municipal tax operations in the area.

The chairman also highlighted improvements in operational equipment and digital infrastructure within the service. According to him, before the current administration assumed office, the agency had only 60 computers, but the number has now risen to over 300.

“We are working to provide all the necessary equipment needed for effective service delivery. I want to call on every member of staff to take their responsibilities seriously,” he stated.

Dr. Abubakar also revealed that the Kano State Government was considering improved welfare packages for workers in the revenue service. He said plans were underway to remove staff remuneration from the mainstream civil service structure and align it with better-performing revenue agencies in states such as Lagos.

“The state governor is committed to improving the welfare package of workers so it can be in tandem with what is obtainable in states like Lagos,” he said.

Also speaking at the event, the Director of Revenue Compliance, Muhammad Abba Aliyu, described the commissioning as a major opportunity for staff of the compliance and enforcement department.

He urged workers under the unit to adopt a renewed attitude toward their duties and take advantage of the improved working environment to increase performance.

“This is a golden opportunity for the commissioning of the Compliance and Enforcement Office. I urge all staff under the office to change their attitude from today and double their efforts,” he said.

A representative of Mannan Professional Services, technical partners to the revenue service, expressed appreciation for being part of the initiative and voiced confidence that the compliance team would effectively utilize the new facility in carrying out its responsibilities.

In his remarks, the Kano State Commissioner of Finance, Dr. Aliyu Danmaraya, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Amina Yusuf Yargaya, commended the efforts of the revenue service toward improving tax compliance and boosting state development.

He noted that effective revenue generation remains one of the most important strategies for sustainable economic growth and infrastructure development in Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

NDA Announces Date for Nationwide Screening Test

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Nigerian Defence Academy has announced that its Screening Test for the 78 Regular Course will hold on Saturday, 13 June 2026 across all states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory.

In a statement issued on its X handle on Tuesday and signed by the Academy Registrar, the institution said the exercise is open only to candidates who scored 180 and above in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board in April 2026, and who selected the NDA as their first-choice institution.

According to the NDA, eligible candidates will receive an email on 20 May 2026 directing them to select their preferred state for the screening test.

Advert

The academy noted that this step is necessary for the allocation of examination centres nationwide.

The statement added that candidates must complete their selection of preferred test location no later than 24 May 2026.

The NDA advised applicants to choose their state of residence as their examination location, emphasising that the screening exercise will be conducted simultaneously across the country.

It further stated that candidates will later be informed of their assigned centres in the first week of June 2026.

“The selection of location (State) of choice for the test is to be done latest by 24 May 2026,” the statement read.

It also assured candidates of timely communication and further instructions via email, stressing that the Academy remains committed to fairness and equal opportunity for all qualified applicants nationwide.

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Arrests Fleeing Ex-Power Minister, Saleh Mamman in Kaduna

Published

on

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arrested a fleeing former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in Rigasa area of Kaduna State.

Mamman was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday, May 19, 2026 following weeks of intensive surveillance and intelligence gathering by operatives of the Commission.

Addressing journalists on the arrest, Executive Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed that the former minister went underground after he was convicted by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on corruption charges.

“On May 7, 2026, Justice James Omotosho found Mamman guilty on all 12 counts bordering on diversion of funds meant for the Zungeru and Mambilla hydroelectric power projects. The court convicted him in absentia after agreeing with the Commission that the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt,” he said.

“For us, getting the convict to serve his jail terms is extremely important in view of the seriousness with which we are tackling corrupt practices. It is this resolve that made us deploy intelligence to tracking and arresting the convict. We will process his transmission to the Correctional Centre accordingly”, he said.

Advert

Justice Omotosho had, in his judgment, held that the EFCC successfully established that Mamman and his associates diverted not less than N22 billion meant for the execution of critical power projects. The court further held that the defence failed to present credible evidence capable of discrediting the prosecution’s case.

The judge condemned the diversion of public funds earmarked for the Zungeru and Mambilla hydroelectric projects, describing the act as a gross abuse of public trust. He also noted that the convict deployed proxy companies and associates to siphon and benefit from funds meant for critical national infrastructure.

Mamman, who served as Minister of Power between 2019 and 2021 under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari, supervised Nigeria’s power sector and major hydroelectric projects, including the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.

Following his conviction, the court ordered that he be arrested and produced before it on May 13, 2026, for sentencing. However, the convict failed to appear in court on the scheduled date, prompting the court to proceed with sentencing in his absence.

Justice Omotosho subsequently sentenced Mamman to seven years imprisonment each on Counts 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 without an option of fine. He was also sentenced to three years imprisonment on Count 4 with an option of N10 million fine and two years imprisonment on Count 5 without an option of fine.

The court further ordered that the sentences run consecutively, bringing the total jail term to 75 years.

Apart from the conviction, Mamman is also facing another corruption trial before the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Abuja, over alleged N31 billion fraud.

On May 11, 2026, Justice Maryanne Anenih issued a bench warrant for his arrest following his failure to appear for proceedings in the matter involving him and seven others.

Continue Reading

Trending