Connect with us

News

Wole Soyinka’s Visa Revoked By The US Govt

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The United States under President Donald Trump has revoked the visa of globally renowned scholar, Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

The scholar announced this at Kongi’s Harvest Gallery, Freedom Park, Lagos Island, on Tuesday.

He said he was unaware of any wrongdoing that could have warranted the revocation.

“It is necessary for me to hold this conference so that people in the United States who are expecting me for this event or that event do not waste their time.”

“I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me,” he said.

Advert

According to Soyinka, the US Consulate informed him of the revocation via a letter.

“I’m still looking into my past history… I don’t have any past criminal record or even a felony or misdemeanour to qualify for the revocation.”

“I’ve started looking back—have I ever misbehaved toward the United States of America? Do I have a history? Have I been convicted? Have I gone against the law anywhere?”

Meanwhile, reports had it that toward the buildup to Trump’s first White House run, Soyinka had said he would destroy his green card if Trump was declared winner of the presidential election in US.

Following the victory of Trump, the scholar followed through on this promise and stayed away from the US.

However, after Trump was convicted during his move to return to the White House for a second tenure, Soyinka indicated that he may reapply for permanent residency in the United States. Trump had been convicted on 34 counts of falsifying business records.

Reacting to Trump’s conviction, Soyinka had said he might reconsider his decision and reapply for permanent residency in the US.

“Seeing that this trite, personal gesture attracted such inordinate attention at the time, let me answer the question before it is asked: Yes, I may choose to apply for restoration of my card of Permanent Residence, known as the Green Card. Possibly,” he said in a Friday statement.

Soyinka described the conviction as “daybreak on a new democratic promise”.

He said: “For millions in anguished parts of the world, certainly for us in vast swathes of the African continent, this is daybreak on a new democratic promise. The warning is clear. sooner or later, the clamour of equity breaks down the stoutest gates on guard across the citadel of impunity.

News

Kano Hajj Medical Team Commended for Commitment to Pilgrims’ Healthcare in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

 

By: Lamara Garba

The medical team deployed by the Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board for this year’s Hajj exercise in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has continued to receive commendation for its commitment and dedication to the healthcare needs of pilgrims.

The team, headed by Dr. Ibrahim Musa, has established clinics in all the seven major houses accommodating pilgrims from Kano State in Makkah to ensure easy access to medical care throughout the Hajj period.

The Kano medical team operates in collaboration with the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) medical mission, working in synergy with the national healthcare structure put in place for Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia.

Speaking to reporters in Makkah, Dr. Ibrahim Musa explained that the Kano team remains fully integrated into the broader NAHCON medical framework, which coordinates healthcare services for Nigerian pilgrims and facilitates collaboration with Saudi health authorities.

According to him, the arrangement has enabled the team to provide prompt and efficient healthcare services while ensuring that patients requiring further medical attention are properly referred through the established Saudi healthcare referral system.

He disclosed that most of the cases being attended to involve minor ailments such as joint pains, malaria, catarrh, fatigue, and routine complications among diabetic and hypertensive patients, many of whom require medication adjustments due to the weather and physical demands of the Hajj exercise.

Advert

“We attend to patients promptly, provide necessary treatment, and where additional attention is required, referrals are made seamlessly through the appropriate channels in collaboration with NAHCON and Saudi medical facilities,” he stated.

Dr. Ibrahim Musa further revealed that the Kano State Government procured adequate drugs and medical consumables to cater for the health needs of pilgrims throughout their stay in the holy land.

He noted that beyond the fixed clinics established in the major accommodation centres, the medical team also operates a decentralised and mobile healthcare service to cater for pilgrims residing in a few outlier accommodations located away from the main clusters.

According to him, the mobile arrangement has significantly improved accessibility and ensured that no pilgrim is left unattended regardless of location.

Dr. Ibrahim Musa also expressed profound appreciation to the Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, for providing the necessary support and enabling environment for the medical team to function effectively during the Hajj exercise.

He stated that the successes recorded so far were largely due to the Governor’s commitment to the welfare of pilgrims, particularly in the areas of healthcare support, provision of drugs, logistics, and personnel deployment.

Also speaking, one of the medical doctors attached to the team, Dr. Ashiru Muhammad Sumaila, expressed satisfaction with the level of preparation made for the medical mission.

He explained that adequate drugs, medical equipment, and personnel were made available to support effective healthcare delivery during the Hajj exercise.

Dr. Ashiru Muhammad Sumaila particularly commended the team leader, Dr. Ibrahim Musa, for providing effective coordination and leadership, which he said has enhanced smooth medical operations across all the accommodation centres.

He added that the strong teamwork among the healthcare personnel, combined with support from NAHCON and Saudi health authorities, has contributed immensely to the smooth handling of medical cases involving the pilgrims.

The medical team also advised pilgrims to continue observing health guidelines by staying hydrated, taking prescribed medications regularly, avoiding unnecessary exposure to extreme heat, and maintaining proper hygiene during the Hajj rites.

Some of the pilgrims who spoke with our correspondent praised the medical team for their accessibility, professionalism, and prompt response to health concerns, describing their presence as reassuring and comforting throughout the spiritual journey.

Continue Reading

News

Over 1.5 million Pilgrims Converge at the Sacred Saudi Masjid for Hajj Surpassing 2025 Record

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Over 1.5 million pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia from outside the kingdom for the upcoming hajj, according to a Saudi official, exceeding the number of international visitors last year despite the war in the Middle East.

The conflict triggered by the US and Israeli strikes on Iran in late February saw Tehran order waves of strikes on targets in Saudi Arabia and across the Gulf, prompting widespread air traffic disruptions and causing travel costs to surge.

Major Gulf airlines in the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain have worked to quickly restore much of their operational capacity after weeks of airspace closures and flight cancellations.

Advert

Despite the complications, pilgrims have continued to flock to Saudi Arabia to participate in this year’s hajj.

“The total number of pilgrims arriving from abroad has reached 1,518,153,” Saleh Al-Murabba, the commander of Saudi Arabia’s Hajj Passport Forces, told a press conference late Friday.

These figures are expected to rise further over the next two days as pilgrims continue to arrive from abroad ahead of the formal rituals that mark the beginning of the hajj on Monday.

Last year, the total number of pilgrims at the hajj reached 1,673,320, including 1,506,576 from outside Saudi Arabia.

The hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, must be performed at least once by all Muslims with the means.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu, Wife Vote in Lagos as APC Presidential Primary Kicks off

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu and his wife, Oluremi, on Saturday participated in the All Progressives Congress presidential primary at Ward E, Ikoyi, Lagos, as the ruling party commenced its nationwide exercise ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The couple arrived at the venue in a motorcade and were received by a large crowd of party supporters, security personnel, and members of the press.

Video footage from the primary showed Tinubu and Oluremi navigating through dense crowds of APC members dressed in traditional attire as they moved through the venue.

The exercise is part of the party’s May 2026 ward-level primaries, through which the incumbent president is seeking re-nomination as the APC’s flagbearer for the 2027 presidential election.

Advert

Heavy press coverage accompanied the event, with cameras capturing the president’s movement through the crowd of supporters and party faithful who had turned out at the Ikoyi ward.

After voting, Tinubu described the exercise as a demonstration of internal democracy and expressed satisfaction with its conduct across the country.

“Demonstration of internal democracy, and it has been going very well according to plan. This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has the right to participate and be involved.

“My challenge is to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well organised,” he said in a video shared by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

Tinubu also praised APC governors for their roles in the electoral process across their respective states.

“Today, I am very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“From the world congresses, to local government congresses, to the delegation accreditation, validation, members register and certification of the electoral process. It has been going very well.

“At least, you will score democracy at a high level,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Trending