Connect with us

News

Revealed: Timipre Sylva On The Run As Security Operatives Raided Abuja Residence Over Linkage To Coup Plot

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Some Nigerian Army personnel have conducted a raid on the Abuja residence of Timipre Marlin Sylva, a former governor and former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources. The operation is reportedly linked to an alleged coup plot currently under investigation by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).

According to multiple security sources who spoke with SaharaReporters on Tuesday, the military action targeted Sylva’s home in the affluent Maitama district of the nation’s capital.

According to insiders, a “special military team” carried out the operation after intelligence linked the “former South-South governor” to secret meetings allegedly held with some of the detained military officers.

“Nigerian Army special team ransacked the home of Timipre Sylva, who is believed to have fled Nigeria,” one top source familiar with the development told SaharaReporters.

“He is the South-South former governor frequently mentioned in the case. His brother, named Paga, was picked up during the raid. The operation also extended to his Bayelsa residence.”

Another security insider said that while no official statement had been issued regarding the raid, the action was “not random” but “a direct response to intelligence linking certain political figures to the alleged plotters.”

Advert

This development comes amid growing tension within the armed forces following reports that at least 16 senior military officers had been detained incommunicado by the DIA over an alleged coup plot.

The detained officers, drawn from the Army, Navy, and Air Force, have been held for over three weeks in an undisclosed Abuja facility under what sources described as “unusual and suspicious conditions.”

According to the reports from Daily Trust and Sahara Reporters, the families of the detained officers told their sources that at first they believed their relatives had been kidnapped, as there was no official communication from the military regarding their arrests.

“It’s been 18 days since those 16 officers were detained in an undisclosed location. At first, we thought our brother was kidnapped before finding out what transpired from his friend who works in the NSA office,” a family member had told Sahara Reporters.

Security analysts have questioned why the DIA, an intelligence agency under the Ministry of Defence, is spearheading the investigation instead of allowing each military service to handle its personnel internally, a move seen as “highly political.”

“If the military were truly conducting a disciplinary operation, over 10,000 cases could emerge. Why only 16 officers, and why hand them to the DIA?” one retired officer asked. “This smells of politics. There’s clearly more going on behind the scenes.”

Speculations are now rife that the alleged plot and subsequent arrests may have deeper political undertones, potentially involving some former office holders with ties to late ex-President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

Recall that the Nigerian Tracker News reported that after the arrest of the 16 officers, further investigation into the matter revealed that the said coup plot is being funded and engineered by a certain former governor from the south as he has been placed on watch, and being investigated for any involvement with the 16 army officers detained.

Sylva, a former governor of Bayelsa State and a close ally of late Buhari, served as Minister of State for Petroleum Resources between 2019 and 2023.

He was also the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the November 2023 Bayelsa election, which he lost to incumbent Governor Douye Diri of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

News

Civilian Sponsors Were Indispensable to Every Successful Coup in Nigeria, Says Babangida

Published

on

General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retd.), has asserted that every successful military coup in Nigeria’s history has depended on active support or sponsorship from civilians, challenging the long-held narrative that the country’s political upheavals were purely soldier-led affairs.

In an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, aired ahead of his 85th birthday on Monday, the former president stated that wealthy civilians have historically played instrumental roles in funding and facilitating military takeovers.

“No successful coup in Nigeria’s history had occurred without civilian involvement,” Babangida declared, according to a transcript of the interview cited by THISDAY.

The former leader used the occasion to offer a rare, personal reflection on the 1985 coup plot against his administration, which led to the trial and execution of his close friend and cabinet colleague, Major-General Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

Advert

Babangida recounted that he initially struggled to believe intelligence reports linking Vatsa to the conspiracy, given their decades-long friendship. The two had grown up together, attended Bida Middle School, and enlisted in the military in the same year.

He said he summoned both Vatsa and General Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior officer implicated them. “When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” Babangida recalled.

A military commission of inquiry was subsequently established. While Nasko was cleared, the panel found evidence against Vatsa. Babangida described himself as “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” by the findings but insisted that military law left him no room for clemency.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied. That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said. Vatsa was executed by firing squad in March 1986.

Turning to contemporary issues, Babangida urged Nigerians to remain patient and supportive of President Bola Tinubu’s administration amid ongoing economic hardships and security crises.

He expressed confidence that the government’s current policies would eventually yield positive results, calling for national hope and resilience during the challenging transition.

Continue Reading

News

Residents of Lokon Kango in Mandawari Area, Kano, Seek Government Intervention Over Poor Drainage

Published

on

 

Residents of Lokon Kango in the Mandawari area of Kano metropolis have called on the government to intervene over the deplorable state of drainage channels in their community, which they say has led to the collapse of two houses.

Mallam Anas Tanga, one of the coordinators of community sanitation efforts in the area, said residents have been doing their best to clear the drains, but their efforts are not enough.

“We are doing our best, alongside other youths. For years, we have been involved in clearing these drains,” he said. “But the extent of the damage is such that even after we do the work, it doesn’t take long before the problem returns.”

On his part, a community elder, Mallam Abubakar, told our reporter how the poor drainage system contributed to the collapse of at least two houses.

Advert

“These houses you see here collapsed as a result of the lack of proper drainage,” he said. “Anytime there is heavy rain, especially at night, we live in fear.”

He appealed to relevant stakeholders to come to their aid.

Malama Ladidi, one of the residents whose home is flooded during the rainy season, also lamented her situation.

“The rainy season is terrible for us and our children,” she said. “We go through a lot of hardship. We don’t even sleep until we have drained the water that enters our rooms. This is a big problem. The youths are trying their best, but the government must step in.”

Finally, one of the youths in the community spoke about the role they played during elections, only to be neglected afterwards.

“All our neighboring areas have had this work done, except us. We are really suffering,” he said. “We helped bring this government to power. We contributed, but now we are not benefiting from anything.”

The residents said they had earlier reported the problem to authorities, particularly the Gwale Local Government, but nothing had been done.

In an effort to get the government’s side of the story, we visited the office of the Gwale Local Government Chairman, Hon. Abubakar Mu’azu Mojo. However, he was not available.

We also tried to reach him by phone and text message, but as of the time of filing this report, we had not received any response from him.

Continue Reading

Trending