Connect with us

News

EFCC Detains NAHCON Chairman’s Brother Over Alleged N50 Billion Fraud

Published

on

 

 

Sources within the EFCC revealed that Mr. Usman, nicknamed “ka fi chairman” by colleagues roughly meaning “defacto NAHCON Chairman” spent the night in EFCC custody in Abuja.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has detained Mr. Sirajo Salisu Usman, brother of the Chairman and CEO of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman (also known as Pakistan), over alleged fraud involving billions of naira.

Mr. Sirajo was arrested on Wednesday afternoon by EFCC operatives in Abuja. He had previously been questioned earlier this month alongside other senior officials of the commission.

Sources within the EFCC revealed that Mr. Usman, nicknamed “ka fi chairman” by colleagues roughly meaning “de-facto NAHCON Chairman” spent the night in EFCC custody in Abuja.

A biological brother of Professor Pakistan, Mr. Sirajo currently serves as Deputy Director in the Chairman’s Office at NAHCON.

“The chairman’s brother is still in EFCC detention as of 12 p.m. on Thursday,” a source inside the Hajj commission told SaharaReporters.

Multiple sources said Mr. Sirajo Salisu Usman’s arrest is linked to the EFCC’s ongoing investigation into the alleged loss of over N50 billion in public funds under the leadership of Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman (Pakistan).

Reports indicate that during the 2025 Hajj alone, the commission, under Professor Pakistan, allegedly squandered N25 billion on Masha’ir tents, N1.6 billion on spouses, and N8 billion on Makkah contingency houses, among other expenditures.

On August 19, the EFCC also detained NAHCON’s Commissioner of Policy, Personnel and Finance (PPMF), Aliu Abdulrazak, and the Commissioner of Planning, Research, Statistics, Information, and Library Services (PRSILS), Professor Abubakar A. Yagawal, over alleged fraud.

Earlier, on August 7, other senior officialsincluding Abdulmalik Diggi, Deputy Director (Accounts) and Special Adviser (General Services) to the C/CEO; Barrister Nura Danladi, the commission’s Legal Adviser; and Mr. Sirajo were questioned by the anti-graft agency.

Insiders say the EFCC is also investigating cases of inflated spending by NAHCON officials, stakeholders, and spouses, which reportedly amounts to about N4 billion. SaharaReporters learnt that an internal NAHCON finance department report described the commission’s bookkeeping as reflecting “considerable financial inefficiency.”

Sources allege that Mr. Sirajo has been central to the financial scandals at the commission since his brother’s appointment, accused of granting approvals without the knowledge of the chairman.

Advert

“Mr Sirajo is a powerful force in the commission. This is an open secret. He derives his power from the chairman’s lack of capacity in reading and understanding the English Language,” a top official said.

Another NAHCON official corroborated it, saying that “Mr Sirajo translates and helps treat official memos and other communications for the chairman”.

“That is the advantage he takes in micromanaging everyone in the commission,” the source said.

“Mr Sirajo is the one making comments on all the NAHCON memos. Mr Pakistan only affirms his signature. That is why staff members are urging the EFCC to conduct a forensic investigation of all the approvals granted by Mr Pakistan,” another official said.

A staff member knowledgeable about the case said, “It was Mr Sirajo who singlehandedly secured the 6,500 contingency bed spaces in Makkah that were never used, leading to the loss of N8 billion.

“This is one of the cases EFCC is investigating now. He is at the centre of all the cases being investigated by the EFCC.”

SaharaReporters reports how the commission under Mr Pakistan wasted at least N8 billion on 6,200 “contingency bed spaces” for non-existent pilgrims in Makkah during the 2025 Hajj.

Contrary to NAHCON spokesperson Fatima Usara’s claims that the detention of the official was “a routine operation,” sources stated that the EFCC is conducting a comprehensive investigation into the 2025 Hajj operation, which encompasses alleged misappropriation of public funds, abuse of office, procurement fraud, and outright theft, among other offences.

The sources added that “the anti-corruption agency is investigating all departments in the Hajj commission”.

One of the sources said, “On August 19, for instance, the EFCC questioned NAHCON coordinators of Makkah and Madinah during the 2025 Hajj operation.

“On August 20, the anti-graft agency grilled the E-Tract Team responsible for data entry for Masha’ir contracts, accommodation for Makkah and Madinah, among others.

“On August 21, the EFCC interrogated the desk officers for the Ulama (clerics) team, the media team, and the National Medical Team (NMT). The operatives also quizzed the leadership of the committee that screened service providers.

“On August 25, the EFCC officers grilled the heads of Aviation and Turaddadiyya (responsible for dispatching pilgrims to Mina, Arafat, and Muzdalifah) committees.”

Stakeholders have demanded a complete overhaul of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), insisting that beyond the removal of Chairman Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman (Pakistan), all misappropriated public funds must be recovered and those responsible prosecuted.

SaharaReporters gathered that the NAHCON Board convened a two-day marathon meeting from Tuesday to Wednesday, during which it reportedly accused Mr. Pakistan of breaching multiple procurement laws, retaining pool officers against directives, and acting as a sole administrator despite stern warnings from Vice President Kashim Shettima.

Vice President Shettima had previously instructed Mr. Pakistan to disengage the pool officers, a directive the chairman has yet to implement. Of the 26 pool staff members in the commission, it was learned that Mr. Pakistan sponsored 25 of them for this year’s Hajj.

Commission staff have threatened to shut down NAHCON if the chairman refuses to release the pool officers. They are also planning to protest against the proposed re-engagement of certain dismissed and retired workers.

One of the dismissed staff members, Mr. Tawfiq Akinwale, was sacked for violating the Electoral Act 2022 and Public Service Rules by contesting the 2023 Oyo State governorship election while still in federal service

News

SEMA Assesses Sites of Building Collapses, Condoles Families of Nine Victims

Published

on

 

The Executive Secretary of the Kano State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Alhaji Isyaku Abdullahi Kubarachi, accompanied by directors of the Agency, has visited the scenes of recent building collapses within Kano metropolis and condoled with families who lost loved ones in the incidents.

During the visit, the SEMA team inspected the site of the collapsed Khadija Bala Memorisation School, located at No. 1030, Police Station Road, Fagge Local Government Area, where one female student lost her life while eight others were rescued following the collapse of the Islamic school.

The team also visited Dukawa, Gobirawa area of Dala Local Government Area, where the residence of Malam Mutari Abdulhamidu collapsed, resulting in the death of his four children.

Advert

Similarly, at Gaida, four people reportedly lost their lives following the collapse of a residential building.

The Executive Secretary, alongside a representative of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), expressed deep sympathy and condolences to the bereaved families, praying for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and wishing the survivors a speedy recovery.

Alhaji Isyaku Abdullahi Kubarachi urged members of the public to strictly adhere to approved building regulations and safety standards, particularly during periods of heavy rainfall, when building structures may become more vulnerable to collapse.

In a statement, SEMA spokesperson Jamil Sagir Danbala said the Executive Secretary further called on property owners, developers and residents to avoid compromising building standards and to promptly report any signs of structural weakness to the relevant authorities.

Continue Reading

News

UNICEF Hands Over Renovated Diso Ward Primary Healthcare Centre to Kano State

Published

on

 

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has handed over the newly renovated and upgraded Diso Ward Primary Healthcare Centre (PHC) to the Kano State Government as part of efforts to strengthen primary healthcare delivery and improve access to essential health services at the grassroots.

The upgraded facility was formally handed over to the Kano State Primary Healthcare Management Agency (KSPHCMA) during a ceremony attended by health officials, community representatives and other stakeholders.

Speaking at the handover ceremony, UNICEF representative Shafiqurrahman said the organisation remained committed to supporting Kano State in ensuring that primary healthcare facilities were not only upgraded but also capable of providing sustainable and quality services to the communities they serve.

Shafiqurrahman said UNICEF was working closely with relevant stakeholders to ensure effective service delivery at the facilities it supports.

“We are here closely to ensure service delivery,” he said.

According to him, UNICEF, in collaboration with the Global Fund, is currently working with five health facilities, with the Diso Ward PHC becoming the first of the facilities under the programme to be formally handed over to the state government.

He explained that the intervention went beyond the renovation of the existing structure, noting that the facility had also benefited from the installation of a solarisation system to help provide a more reliable source of electricity for healthcare operations.

Advert

The UNICEF representative said the upgrade of the facility included the establishment of a new ward, labour room and pharmacy, as well as facilities designed to improve access for physically challenged persons.

He stressed that UNICEF placed strong emphasis on primary healthcare because PHCs are the closest healthcare facilities to most communities and often serve as the first point of contact between citizens and the health system.

“We put great emphasis on PHC because it is close to the people,” he said.

Shafiqurrahman, however, cautioned that renovating and equipping a healthcare facility was only one part of the process, stressing that maintaining the facility and ensuring continuous service delivery were equally important.

“Building is one thing and services is another thing. It is a continuous service for the people,” he said.

He called for a strong commitment to the sustainability of the facility, including regular supervision, proper maintenance and effective management of the equipment and infrastructure provided.

According to him, the objective of the intervention was to ensure that the people of Diso and surrounding communities continued to benefit from the facility for a long time.

“We want sustainability and longer services, including supervision and maintenance,” he added.

Receiving the upgraded facility on behalf of the Kano State Primary Healthcare Management Agency, the agency’s Director of Administration, Adamu Pate Jigaware, commended UNICEF for its support and intervention in strengthening healthcare delivery in the state.

Jigaware, who represented the Director of the Kano State Primary Healthcare Management Agency, expressed appreciation to UNICEF and other partners involved in the project, saying the intervention would contribute to improving healthcare services for residents of the area.

He also commended the contractor who executed the renovation and upgrade works, particularly for working in collaboration with the World Development Committee during the implementation of the project.

He said the involvement of relevant community structures was important in ensuring ownership of the facility and supporting its sustainability.

The handover marks another step in efforts by development partners and the Kano State Government to strengthen primary healthcare infrastructure and improve access to essential health services at the community level.

 

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Army’s 1 Div commences Inter-Brigade Combat Competition in Kano

Published

on

 

The Nigerian Army has commenced the 2026 1 Division Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition in Kano to assess and enhance the operational readiness, physical fitness and combat capabilities of its officers.

Declaring the competition open, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 1 Division Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Abubakar Mohammed-Wase, said the annual exercise was designed to sharpen troops’ skills and improve their capacity to respond to emerging security challenges.

Represented by Chief of Staff, 1 Division, Brig.-Gen. Timothy Opurum, said the competition was in line with the Chief of Army Staff’s Command Philosophy of transforming the Nigerian Army into a more professional, adaptable, combat-ready and resilient force capable of discharging its constitutional responsibilities within a joint and multi-agency environment.

The GOC added that the exercise would provide an opportunity for officers from participating formations to demonstrate their proficiency in physical fitness, leadership, tactical competence, mental alertness and ability to operate effectively under pressure.

According to him, the competition involves three formations under the division, including 1 Division Garrison, 3 Brigade and 31 Artillery Brigade, competing in four events.

The events are weapon handling and combat shooting, map reading, endurance run and obstacle crossing, as well as combat swimming.

“The competition is aimed at improving leadership skills, organisational ability and initiative, while promoting esprit de corps among troops in preparation for enhanced performance in battle,” he said.

The GOC noted that the nation’s current security environment required commanders who were not only professionally competent but also physically and mentally prepared to confront complex operational challenges.

Advert

He described the competition as a vital platform for improving the resilience and combat proficiency required by officers in carrying out their constitutional responsibilities.

Mohammed -Wase urged participating formations to uphold the values of loyalty, discipline and integrity, adding that the objective of the exercise was beyond winning but to improve individual and collective operational capabilities.

“To the participating officers, I encourage you to see this competition as an opportunity to test yourselves, learn from one another and identify areas requiring further improvement,” he said.

He commended troops operating in various theatres for their efforts in ensuring peace and stability in the country, attributing improvements in operational capacity to effective leadership, sound planning and logistics support.

The GOC also appreciated the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu, for providing resources and support for the competition, as well as the Commander, 3 Brigade, for providing facilities and logistics assistance.

He urged umpires and officials to ensure fairness, impartiality and professionalism throughout the competition.

Earlier, Commander, 3 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Saka Jimoh, said the competition was designed to test the competence, confidence and ability of officers to perform effectively under challenging operational conditions.

According to him, the exercise would also strengthen leadership, teamwork, discipline and professionalism among participating personnel.

“The Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition is a significant professional activity designed to assess, strengthen and sustain the physical fitness, mental alertness, combat skills and operational effectiveness of participating officers.

“It provides an opportunity for officers to demonstrate their competence, confidence and ability to perform optimally under demanding and challenging conditions,” he said.

He said the activities were carefully selected to test individual competence and the ability of officers to operate effectively under pressure.

Jimoh appreciated the GOC for providing strategic guidance and support towards the successful hosting of the event.

He said the support demonstrated the commitment of the command to sustaining professional competence and operational readiness across the division.

“I sincerely appreciate the resources and other necessary support made available for this event. This gesture has significantly enhanced the Brigade’s ability to organise and host the competition,” he said.

He expressed optimism that the exercise would further enhance collective combat proficiency, teamwork and operational effectiveness among officers of the division.

3 Brigade, Nigerian Army, won the Stripping and Assembling Competition, while 31 Artillery Brigade, Minna, Nigerian Army, emerged second and 1 Division Garrison, Kaduna, came third.

The competition involving officers from the rank of 2nd Lieutenant to Major, will end in Aug. 20.

Continue Reading

Trending