Connect with us

News

Alleged N33.8bn Fraud: I received more than N22bn from Federal Ministry of Power -BDC Operator

Published

on

The trial of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman continued on Wednesday, January 22, 2025 at the Federal High Court, Abuja, presided over by Justice James Omotosho with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC presenting its 8th witness, PW8.

The witness, PW8 Abdullahi Suleman, a bureau de change operator, narrated how more than N22 billion was allegedly siphoned from the Federal Ministry of Power while Mamman was Minister. He said the naira equivalent of the money was exchanged for United States dollars through his business accounts.

Mamman is being prosecuted by the EFCC on a 12-count charge bordering on conspiracy to commit money laundering to the tune of N33,804,830,503.73 (Thirty-three Billion, Eight Hundred and Four Million, Eight Hundred and Thirty Thousand, Five Hundred and Three Naira, Seventy-three Kobo).

At Wednesday’s proceedings, Suleiman, while being led in evidence by prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN narrated that about 12 of his business accounts received money from the Federal Ministry of Power without carrying out any service, contact or project. His companies; Prymint Investment Limited, Strong Field International Projects Limited, Mintedge Nigeria Limited, First Class Construction and Project, Silverline Ocean Ventures, Golden Bond Nigeria Limited, Sipikin Global Enterprise, Spinhiills Biz International limited, Fullest Utility Concepts Limited, Platinum Touch Enterprises, Breathable Investment Limited and a company owned by his brother named Gurupche Business Enterprises were used for the transactions.

Advert

“I know Alhaji Maina Goje, we are in the same business, sometimes in 2019, Maina Goje met me that he has transaction that I should give him some of my account numbers, the first account I gave him was Fullest, he will send money and I will give him dollars, he started asking for more accounts, he will tell me what to do with the transactions, I will get the dollar and give him and sometimes I will do a transfer to other accounts. We have been working together since then till 2024. From my rough calculations, the amount I have received through the transactions will be more than 22 billion naira. Also Maina used to send someone called Musbhu anytime he was not available, he would send him and give me instructions on what to do with him, we do call him Yaro Minister because he is from Saleh Mamman”, he said.

Continuing, “ I also know Mr Mustapha Muhammed, Goje told me that he is his oga, I didn’t know him before until Maina Goje introduced him to me, then I learnt he works with Federal Ministry of Housing and instructed that anytime they can’t reach him, I should give him the amount of dollars he requested”

When shown Exhibit X series, which contained bank statements generated from his companies showing evidence of money inflows into his bank accounts with Strong Field international Projects Limited, Mintedge Nigeria Limited, Prymint Investment Limited, the witness admitted that they were the accounts he gave Maina Goje.

Among some of the notable transactions shown to him on the accounts were; N285,983,285 received on 24th May 2021, N278, 248.611 on 26th May 2021, , N320m on 1st January, 2021, 184m on 18 June, 2021, N178,300,285 on 14th July 2021, , N75,420, 000 on 5th August 2021, N75,120,000 on 1st December 2021, N68,150,620 and N70,650 on 15th December 2021, N90,247,395 on 12th Jan 2022, N64, 747,627 on 16 February 2022, among others and he agreed receiving them.

Earlier, a Compliance Officer from FCMB presented and tendered bank statements and attachments in a reply letter to the EFCC dated August 16, 2024 in respect of Prymint Investments Limited, Platinum Touch Enterprises, Royal Perimeter Ventures, Golden Bond Nigeria Limited, Flex Utility Concepts Limited, Bentech Nigeria Limited admitted and marked Exhibit XTUB.

The judge adjourned the matter to 23 January, 2024 for continuation of hearing.

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

News

Civilian Sponsors Were Indispensable to Every Successful Coup in Nigeria, Says Babangida

Published

on

General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retd.), has asserted that every successful military coup in Nigeria’s history has depended on active support or sponsorship from civilians, challenging the long-held narrative that the country’s political upheavals were purely soldier-led affairs.

In an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, aired ahead of his 85th birthday on Monday, the former president stated that wealthy civilians have historically played instrumental roles in funding and facilitating military takeovers.

“No successful coup in Nigeria’s history had occurred without civilian involvement,” Babangida declared, according to a transcript of the interview cited by THISDAY.

The former leader used the occasion to offer a rare, personal reflection on the 1985 coup plot against his administration, which led to the trial and execution of his close friend and cabinet colleague, Major-General Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

Advert

Babangida recounted that he initially struggled to believe intelligence reports linking Vatsa to the conspiracy, given their decades-long friendship. The two had grown up together, attended Bida Middle School, and enlisted in the military in the same year.

He said he summoned both Vatsa and General Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior officer implicated them. “When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” Babangida recalled.

A military commission of inquiry was subsequently established. While Nasko was cleared, the panel found evidence against Vatsa. Babangida described himself as “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” by the findings but insisted that military law left him no room for clemency.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied. That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said. Vatsa was executed by firing squad in March 1986.

Turning to contemporary issues, Babangida urged Nigerians to remain patient and supportive of President Bola Tinubu’s administration amid ongoing economic hardships and security crises.

He expressed confidence that the government’s current policies would eventually yield positive results, calling for national hope and resilience during the challenging transition.

Continue Reading

News

Residents of Lokon Kango in Mandawari Area, Kano, Seek Government Intervention Over Poor Drainage

Published

on

 

Residents of Lokon Kango in the Mandawari area of Kano metropolis have called on the government to intervene over the deplorable state of drainage channels in their community, which they say has led to the collapse of two houses.

Mallam Anas Tanga, one of the coordinators of community sanitation efforts in the area, said residents have been doing their best to clear the drains, but their efforts are not enough.

“We are doing our best, alongside other youths. For years, we have been involved in clearing these drains,” he said. “But the extent of the damage is such that even after we do the work, it doesn’t take long before the problem returns.”

On his part, a community elder, Mallam Abubakar, told our reporter how the poor drainage system contributed to the collapse of at least two houses.

Advert

“These houses you see here collapsed as a result of the lack of proper drainage,” he said. “Anytime there is heavy rain, especially at night, we live in fear.”

He appealed to relevant stakeholders to come to their aid.

Malama Ladidi, one of the residents whose home is flooded during the rainy season, also lamented her situation.

“The rainy season is terrible for us and our children,” she said. “We go through a lot of hardship. We don’t even sleep until we have drained the water that enters our rooms. This is a big problem. The youths are trying their best, but the government must step in.”

Finally, one of the youths in the community spoke about the role they played during elections, only to be neglected afterwards.

“All our neighboring areas have had this work done, except us. We are really suffering,” he said. “We helped bring this government to power. We contributed, but now we are not benefiting from anything.”

The residents said they had earlier reported the problem to authorities, particularly the Gwale Local Government, but nothing had been done.

In an effort to get the government’s side of the story, we visited the office of the Gwale Local Government Chairman, Hon. Abubakar Mu’azu Mojo. However, he was not available.

We also tried to reach him by phone and text message, but as of the time of filing this report, we had not received any response from him.

Continue Reading

Trending