Connect with us

News

Kano State Targets 1.5 Million Women for Multiple Micronutrient Supplementation

Published

on

Nusaiba Garba a Health worker and one of the participants

 

The Kano State Government has announced a significant initiative to target 1.5 million women with multiple micronutrient supplementation. This ambitious project is part of the World Bank-assisted initiative known as Accelerating Nutrition Results in Nigeria (ANRiN).

Dr. Umar Yahuza, the Project Coordinator for ANRiN in Kano, shared this information while interacting with newsmen at one of the training centers for healthcare personnel drawn from the 484 wards in Kano. Dr. Yahuza highlighted the scale of this intervention, emphasizing that such a massive effort is happening for the first time across the state.

Dr Umar Yahuza at Niimah Guest Palace one of the centers for the training

Dr Umar Yahuza at Niimah Guest Palace one of the centers for the training

“This is the first time something massive like this is happening across the state. We intend to train over one thousand healthcare personnel,” Dr. Yahuza stated. He explained that the training is designed to respond to the identified challenges of stunted growth and malnutrition among women and children.

Stunting, a condition often resulting from chronic malnutrition, is a significant concern in Kano State. Dr. Yahuza pointed out that the increase in stunting rates can be attributed to other states’ refusal to implement similar nutritional interventions. However, he praised the Kano State Government under the leadership of Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf for its proactive approach and commitment to addressing these nutritional challenges.

Advert

“The Kano government under Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf has done well,” Dr. Yahuza remarked, acknowledging the state’s efforts in improving nutritional outcomes.

The ANRiN project aims to provide preventive nutrition services to a teeming population of pregnant and lactating mothers. The training of healthcare personnel is a critical component of this initiative, equipping them with the skills and knowledge needed to deliver effective nutrition services at the grassroots level.

As part of the project’s implementation, healthcare personnel from various health facilities in Kano, including medical doctors and dieticians, are being trained. The training covers essential aspects of nutrition and aims to enhance the capacity of healthcare workers to combat malnutrition and promote healthy growth among women and children.

The success of this initiative is expected to significantly impact the health and well-being of women and children in Kano State, ensuring that they receive the necessary micronutrients to support their growth and development.
One of the participants and a health worker, Nusaiba Garba, said she has learned a lot, including how to educate pregnant and lactating mothers on positioning during breastfeeding and how to relate well with patients.

Another beneficiary, Usman Balarabe Usman from Kibiya , said there are many things he learned from the training, things that he previously did not take as seriously but are very important in managing pregnant and lactating mothers, including how to welcome a patient.

Usman Balarabe Usman one of the participants from Kibiya

Usman Balarabe Usman ,one of the participants from Kibiya

 

News

Tinubu’s Peace Move Takes Effect as Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara’s Impeachment

Published

on

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State House of Assembly has halted its impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Professor Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s latest intervention in the state’s protracted political crisis.

The Assembly made the decision during Thursday’s plenary, TVC News reported.

The lawmakers had on January 8 initiated impeachment moves against the governor and his deputy, citing alleged gross misconduct . The notices of allegation were forwarded to the Chief Judge of Rivers State, Justice Simeon Chibuzor-Amadi, with a request to constitute a seven-man investigative panel as required by Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution .

However, the process was halted after a Rivers State High Court sitting in Oyigbo Local Government Area restrained the lawmakers and the Chief Judge from proceeding . Justice F. A. Fiberesima issued an interim injunction barring Speaker Martin Amaewhule, the Clerk of the House, and 31 other defendants from taking further steps toward impeachment .

Advert

The court specifically restrained the Chief Judge from receiving, forwarding, considering, or acting on any request or resolution aimed at constituting an investigative panel against Fubara and Odu . The matter was subsequently adjourned indefinitely after parties informed the court that appeals had been entered at the Court of Appeal .

Thursday’s decision by lawmakers to discontinue the impeachment process followed President Bola Tinubu’s fourth intervention in the oil-rich state’s political crisis .

Two weeks ago, Tinubu met with key political actors, including Governor Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike—now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory—at the Presidential Villa in Abuja . The closed-door meeting aimed to resolve the lingering power struggle that has polarised the state since Fubara’s assumption of office.

Following the meeting, Wike publicly acknowledged the President’s intervention and directed lawmakers to comply .

“I have told the assembly to do the needful and obey Mr. President, which I know they will not hesitate,” Wike said after inspecting projects in Abuja. “I also believe the governor will carry out his own part to make sure that this is the final time Rivers people will hear this kind of discord” .

The latest intervention marks a significant de-escalation in the crisis, which stems from the political feud between Fubara and his predecessor, Wike, over control of the state’s political structure . Observers note that Thursday’s development suggests both parties may have reached a new understanding following the presidential mediation.

Continue Reading

News

CDS Oluyede Honored with National Award in Sierra Leone

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, has been decorated with the Grand Commander of the Order of the Rokel, one of Sierra Leone’s highest national honours. The award was conferred during a grand ceremony marking the 17th Armed Forces Day of the Republic of Sierra Leone.

In a statement released on [Date, if available], the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, confirmed that the honour recognises General Oluyede’s pivotal role in securing peace in Sierra Leone during his service with the Economic Community of West African States Monitoring Group (ECOMOG).

The statement highlighted that the award serves as a profound appreciation not only for General Oluyede’s personal contributions but also for the sacrifices of all Nigerian officers and soldiers who fought to restore peace and stability to the nation during its civil war.

Advert

General Oluyede’s connection to Sierra Leone dates back to the early 1990s. Between 1992 and 1994, he was deployed as a Platoon Commander, tasked with securing the residence of the then-Head of State. During this period, he was lauded for his exemplary leadership, professionalism, and unwavering commitment to protecting the government in a time of intense turmoil.

Aside from Nigerian CDS, other distinguished personalities from Nigeria, Guinea, United Kingdom, United States and Kenya, among others, were equally awarded medals during the ceremony.

They included former Nigerian CDS, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rtd), Lt. Gen. Daniel Opande of Kenya (rtd), Lt. Gen. Ibrahima Sory Bangoura of Guinea, Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers of USA and
Brig. Gen. Edward Butler (rtd) of the UK.

The Armed Forces Day event also served as a solemn tribute to the courage and sacrifice of regional forces. Special recognition was reserved for the Nigerian Armed Forces, whose steadfast commitment under the ECOMOG banner was described as being at the forefront of regional peace enforcement.

The Nigerian contingent was particularly commended for its distinctive bravery, resilience, and dedication to the protection of civilians during Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, cementing the nation’s legacy as a cornerstone of peace and stability in the West African sub-region.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Kill Senior Boko Haram Commander, Arrest Drone Supplier in Zamfara Operation

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI, operating in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have killed a senior Boko Haram commander during a mission in the Madagali axis of Zamfara State.

Security sources confirmed that the neutralised terrorist, identified as Abdullahi Mafa, was a former hybrid commander of the insurgent group. He was killed in a targeted operation on Thursday following a fierce encounter with security forces along the Visik River corridor.

According to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the troops came into contact with suspected Boko Haram fighters while laying an ambush in the area, leading to a gun battle that resulted in Mafa’s death.

Advert

In a separate but related operation within the same Madagali Local Government Area, troops also arrested a suspected logistics and drone supplier linked to the terrorists. The suspect, Dauda Usman Gubula, was apprehended during a raid at the Madagali Motor Park.

Makama, citing official sources, revealed that security operatives recovered several items from the suspect, including two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks believed to be destined for terrorist use. Gubula is currently in custody as investigations continue.

The military has maintained sustained offensive operations across the region as part of ongoing efforts to dismantle Boko Haram cells and restore normalcy to affected communities.

Continue Reading

Trending