Connect with us

News

e-Health Africa graduates women, youths trained on software engineering

Published

on

The trained personal

A Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), E-Health Academy (EHA) has graduated its 4th cohort of fellows who received free training and mentorships on software engineering in Kano.

The NGO, which is a subsidiary of E-Health Africa, said the fellowship is in their efforts to bridge the gap in the Information Communication Technology (ICT), especially in the area of software engineering.

Speaking during the graduation ceremony, Senior Manager Software Engineering Unit and lead for the implementation of EHA Academy, Jamil Galadanci said the 10-week intensive program is offered to underprivileged youth to provide them with the skills and resources necessary to succeed in the technology industry.

According to him, the graduation ceremony will mark the end of the classroom sessions and the beginning of the internship program for successful graduates.

“The program, offered at no cost, targeted high school students and young unemployed graduates from low-income communities and trained them in HTML, CSS, and Javascript. The academy has so far graduated 155 students and some of them were recruited to work in the academy.

Advert

“The whole idea of this academy is to bridge the gap of software engineers that we have in the space. We have realized that over the years that getting qualified software engineers that have the practical skills is always a challenge. That is why we came up with this academy.

“Our hope in the future is to have this getting bigger so that we can be able to have over 100 participants at a time considering the needs to have software engineers across Africa. Our biggest hope is to see those participants coming back as mentors coming back to be mentors just like we have started seeing now.”

Speaking  shortly after the ceremony, one of the students, Aisha Mujahid Kabir, who just graduated from secondary school and willing to study computer engineering, said the training has opened her eyes into the field and that she is motivated to do more.

She added that “I am passionate about this and I am happy to say that now I am a web developer. I learned it through this Academy and I really appreciate them. I’m very sure that I can depend on what I learned here.”

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

News

Civilian Sponsors Were Indispensable to Every Successful Coup in Nigeria, Says Babangida

Published

on

General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retd.), has asserted that every successful military coup in Nigeria’s history has depended on active support or sponsorship from civilians, challenging the long-held narrative that the country’s political upheavals were purely soldier-led affairs.

In an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, aired ahead of his 85th birthday on Monday, the former president stated that wealthy civilians have historically played instrumental roles in funding and facilitating military takeovers.

“No successful coup in Nigeria’s history had occurred without civilian involvement,” Babangida declared, according to a transcript of the interview cited by THISDAY.

The former leader used the occasion to offer a rare, personal reflection on the 1985 coup plot against his administration, which led to the trial and execution of his close friend and cabinet colleague, Major-General Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

Advert

Babangida recounted that he initially struggled to believe intelligence reports linking Vatsa to the conspiracy, given their decades-long friendship. The two had grown up together, attended Bida Middle School, and enlisted in the military in the same year.

He said he summoned both Vatsa and General Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior officer implicated them. “When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” Babangida recalled.

A military commission of inquiry was subsequently established. While Nasko was cleared, the panel found evidence against Vatsa. Babangida described himself as “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” by the findings but insisted that military law left him no room for clemency.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied. That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said. Vatsa was executed by firing squad in March 1986.

Turning to contemporary issues, Babangida urged Nigerians to remain patient and supportive of President Bola Tinubu’s administration amid ongoing economic hardships and security crises.

He expressed confidence that the government’s current policies would eventually yield positive results, calling for national hope and resilience during the challenging transition.

Continue Reading

News

Residents of Lokon Kango in Mandawari Area, Kano, Seek Government Intervention Over Poor Drainage

Published

on

 

Residents of Lokon Kango in the Mandawari area of Kano metropolis have called on the government to intervene over the deplorable state of drainage channels in their community, which they say has led to the collapse of two houses.

Mallam Anas Tanga, one of the coordinators of community sanitation efforts in the area, said residents have been doing their best to clear the drains, but their efforts are not enough.

“We are doing our best, alongside other youths. For years, we have been involved in clearing these drains,” he said. “But the extent of the damage is such that even after we do the work, it doesn’t take long before the problem returns.”

On his part, a community elder, Mallam Abubakar, told our reporter how the poor drainage system contributed to the collapse of at least two houses.

Advert

“These houses you see here collapsed as a result of the lack of proper drainage,” he said. “Anytime there is heavy rain, especially at night, we live in fear.”

He appealed to relevant stakeholders to come to their aid.

Malama Ladidi, one of the residents whose home is flooded during the rainy season, also lamented her situation.

“The rainy season is terrible for us and our children,” she said. “We go through a lot of hardship. We don’t even sleep until we have drained the water that enters our rooms. This is a big problem. The youths are trying their best, but the government must step in.”

Finally, one of the youths in the community spoke about the role they played during elections, only to be neglected afterwards.

“All our neighboring areas have had this work done, except us. We are really suffering,” he said. “We helped bring this government to power. We contributed, but now we are not benefiting from anything.”

The residents said they had earlier reported the problem to authorities, particularly the Gwale Local Government, but nothing had been done.

In an effort to get the government’s side of the story, we visited the office of the Gwale Local Government Chairman, Hon. Abubakar Mu’azu Mojo. However, he was not available.

We also tried to reach him by phone and text message, but as of the time of filing this report, we had not received any response from him.

Continue Reading

Trending