Connect with us

News

CITAD Awards Outstanding Investigative Journalists 

Published

on

Buhari Abba left,with the award winning Journalists

 

Centre for Information Technology and Development (CITAD) on Thursday presented prizes to outstanding investigative journalists in Kano.

The organization which is reputed for its long working relationship with journalists to ensure transparency and accountability in the public sector expressed its delight in the efforts of the journalists in ensuring accountability is given priority in the course of their works.

While speaking, a staff of the organization Mallam Buhari Rano Abba said the journalists were awarded because of their knacks for Investigating corrupt practices both in public and private establishments, adding that the action will improve the quality of life,
especially in the vulnerable communities that don’t have the voice to fight the menace of the system.

He recalled that last year, May 24th the organization organized a three day training for 20 selected journalists, who later submitted proposal and undergo various investigations.

He added that after review was conducted by a team of judges, 10 journalists were successfully emerged as the recipient of the grant.

Advert

“Recalls that on 25th May, 2022, CITAD organized a three days training for 20 selected journalists. The 20 selected journalists submitted proposals and undergo various investigations, after which a review was conducted by a team of Judges where 10 Journalists successfully emerged as the recipient of the grant”.

The competition which was themed: Journalists Against Corruption, was organised by CITAD with support from MacArthur Foundation.

Buhari added that the sub-grant is an encouragement to improve the capacity of journalists to investigate and report corrupt practices at the grassroots level through a competitive process as a way of holding public officials to account.

He said after Selecting best six reports out of ten, CITAD uplaoded six reports on social media platforms for public voting, and after two weeks of public voting, the reports of the journalists emerged winners;

The winners of the prizes are, Ismail Auwal Garba of Sahelian Times, Anibe Idajili ,TheCable and
Rabiu Musa, HotPen.

Appreciating the organizer of the competition, one of the winners, Rabiu Musa of Hot Pen expressed his delight, as he also enjoined other organization to follow the footprint of CITAD in training journalists in order to unravel the ills of the society.

He also advised journalists to seek for grants in order to do investigative reports on some vital issues of the society, even though investigative journalism is very tedious and risky.

“Journalists should make sure they seek for grants to do investigative stories on some important issues in the society.

” Though we know is not easy because of its risky and tedious nature, but its important for them to know that the society needs them very much “.

News

Breaking:Ramadan Cresecent Sighted In Saudi Arabia

Published

on

— The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted in Saudi Arabia, confirming that the holy month will begin on Wednesday.

The announcement followed reports from authorized moon sighting committees across the Kingdom, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

With the confirmation, Muslims across Saudi Arabia will begin fasting at dawn on Wednesday, observing the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar with prayers, reflection and charitable acts.

Advert

Ramadan is a period of spiritual devotion marked by daily fasting from dawn to sunset, increased worship, and community gatherings.

Mosques across the Kingdom are preparing to receive worshippers for Taraweeh prayers, while authorities have finalized arrangements to ensure smooth services during the holy month.

Government entities and private institutions are also set to implement adjusted working hours in line with Ramadan schedules.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Drama in Reps as Lawmakers Reverse on Electronic Results, Opposition Walks Out

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The House of Representatives on Tuesday rescinded its earlier decision on Clause 60(3) of the Electoral Act amendment bill, adopting instead the version earlier passed by the Senate, which allows both electronic and manual transmission of election results.

The decision followed an emergency sitting and sparked protest from opposition lawmakers, who staged a walkout from the chamber while chanting, “APC, ole! APC, ole!” in open dissent.

The House had initially approved a stricter provision mandating compulsory electronic transmission of results from each polling unit to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Result Viewing (IREV) portal.

Advert

The earlier version stipulated that: “The Presiding Officer shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the IREV portal and such transmission shall be done after the prescribed Form EC8A has been signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and/or countersigned by the candidates or polling agents where available at the polling unit.”

However, at Tuesday’s sitting, lawmakers reconsidered the clause and aligned with the Senate’s version, which introduces a caveat in the event of technical failure.

Under the adopted provision, while electronic transmission remains mandatory, it provides that where such transmission fails due to communication challenges, making it impossible to upload results electronically, the manually completed Form EC8A—duly signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and countersigned by candidates or polling agents where available—shall remain the primary basis for collation and declaration of results.

The reversal has heightened political tension within the chamber, with opposition members expressing concern that the amendment could weaken safeguards around electronic transmission of election results.

Continue Reading

News

Health Ministry Enforces Federal Directive, Retires Directors with Eight Years’ Service

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Federal Ministry of Health has ordered an immediate disengagement of Directors who have spent at least eight years in the directorate cadre with immediate effect.

The directors affected include those in the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, among others, according to a memo sighted by our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday morning.

The Federal Government had, on Monday, directed all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies to enforce the eight-year tenure limit for directors and permanent secretaries, following a new deadline set through the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.

The memo announcing the enforcement of the order at the FMOH signed by the Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Health, Tetshoma Dafeta, reads, “Further to the Eight (8)-Year Tenure Policy of the Federal Public Service, which mandates the compulsory retirement of Directors after eight years in that rank, as provided in the Revised Public Service Rules 2021(PSR 020909) copy attached, I am directed to remind you to take necessary action to ensure that all affected officers who have spent eight years as Directors, effective 31st December, 2025, are disengaged from Service immediately.

Advert

“Accordingly, all Heads of Agencies and Parastatals are by this circular, to ensure that the affected staff hand over all official documents/possessions with immediate effect, their salaries are stopped by the IPPIS Unit and mandate the officers to refund to the treasury all emoluments paid after their effective date of disengagement.

“This is reiterated in a circular recently issued by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Ref. No. HSCF/3065/Vol.I/225, dated 10″ February 2026. A copy is herewith attached for guidance, please.

“In addition, you are to forward the nominal roll of all directorate officers
(CONMESS 07/CONHESS 15/CONRAISS 15)

“Failure to adhere to paragraph 2 above shall be met with stiff sanctions.”

Recall that in July 2023, the former Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Folasade Yemi-Esan, announced the commencement of the revised Public Service Rules.

Speaking at a lecture at the State House, Abuja, to mark the 2023 Civil Service Week, Yemi-Esan stated that the revised PSR took effect from July 27, 2023.

The Head of Service issued a circular addressed to Permanent Secretaries, the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Auditor-General for the Federation, and heads of extra-ministerial departments, informing them of the revised rules.

“Following the approval of the revised Public Service Rules (PSR) by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on September 27, 2021, and its subsequent unveiling during the public service lecture in commemoration of the 2023 Civil Service Week, the PSR has become operational with effect from July 27, 2023,” the circular read.

According to Section 020909 of the revised PSR, the tenure limit for permanent secretaries is four years, with a possible renewal based only on satisfactory performance.

The rules also stipulate that a director (GL 17) or their equivalent shall compulsorily retire after eight years in that position.

Continue Reading

Trending