Connect with us

News

BUK’s Best Student, Usman Gezawa Passed Away

I first know Usman during his days in Crescent Int’l School. He is handicapped and his mum drops him off every morning at Crescent with his wheelchair in the trunk (boot) of her car

Published

on

Usman Gezawa

By Abubakar Sadiq Dauda

I woke with the sad news of the death of Usman Gezawa, a level 400 student in the Faculty of Computer Science and IT, Bayero University Kano.

I first know Usman during his days at Crescent Int’l School. I use to catch a glimpse of him almost every morning when I drive my kid sister to school. I learnt that he has been physically challenged right from when he was a child as a result of a chronic disease called spinal muscular atrophy.

My admiration for Usman began when I was in my final year at the university, then he was in level 200. I was confiding with one of my friend that I pity the state and condition in which Usman finds himself in, my friend responded by telling me that Usman has a Grade Point Average of 5.00 in all the semesters he has passed through, making his CGPA to be 5.00 in his 4th semester to be specific. I was stunned and I was glad at the same time. I said to my friend, “let me pity myself for having a point lesser than his”, we laughed and proceeded to where we were heading to.

Back at home, I was marvelled with the news I heard about Usman in campus, I called my kid sister and ask her more about Usman, she told me how brilliant and gifted Usman was during their secondary school days, she told me he got all A’s in his WAEC. She added that he won all the academic prize awarded by the school during the graduation of his set. I was really overwhelmed with joy and tears of happiness rolled down my cheek while she was narrating everything she knows about Usman Gezawa. Indeed, His story was amazing and inspiring in soo many ways.

Advert

In one of a short clip that went viral last year, the deposed Emir of Kano, in the person of His Highness Muhammad Sunusi II, honoured him by walking to where he (Usman) was seated (on his wheelchair) to present the certificate of graduation (in the slate form), as it is done by Islamic schools.

Traditionally, when its a student turn to receive his slate, the student shall walk to where the Emir is seated, kneels and the Emir will award the slate (certificate) to him or her. When it was the turn of Usman to follow the same protocol, the Emir stood from his chair, walked to where Usman was seated (on his wheelchair) and presented him his slate of graduation. The chants of “Allahu Akbar” rented the air as the emir displayed an act of respect and honour to the handicapped, at that moment Gezawa was the recipient of such Grand Honour from a highly respected Emir in the country.

Indeed, what a life well lived by Usman Gezawa. Now that you have departed this world to meet with our Creator, may the Angels in heaven honour you, shield you and preserve your soul till we meet again in the hereafter. May Allah (SWT) grant you the highest rank of Jannah.

At this juncture, I will like to pass my sincere condolence to his mum, she motivated Usman by driving him to school in her car. Am sure she must be devastated by his death. My other condolence goes to his siblings for having to live without their ‘genius brother’ and to the people of Kano state. Indeed, Kano has lost an asset.

May Allah bestow his peace and mercy to Usman, our loved ones, and to all Muslim ummah.

assadiq.aldaud@gmail.com

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

News

Civilian Sponsors Were Indispensable to Every Successful Coup in Nigeria, Says Babangida

Published

on

General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retd.), has asserted that every successful military coup in Nigeria’s history has depended on active support or sponsorship from civilians, challenging the long-held narrative that the country’s political upheavals were purely soldier-led affairs.

In an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, aired ahead of his 85th birthday on Monday, the former president stated that wealthy civilians have historically played instrumental roles in funding and facilitating military takeovers.

“No successful coup in Nigeria’s history had occurred without civilian involvement,” Babangida declared, according to a transcript of the interview cited by THISDAY.

The former leader used the occasion to offer a rare, personal reflection on the 1985 coup plot against his administration, which led to the trial and execution of his close friend and cabinet colleague, Major-General Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

Advert

Babangida recounted that he initially struggled to believe intelligence reports linking Vatsa to the conspiracy, given their decades-long friendship. The two had grown up together, attended Bida Middle School, and enlisted in the military in the same year.

He said he summoned both Vatsa and General Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior officer implicated them. “When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” Babangida recalled.

A military commission of inquiry was subsequently established. While Nasko was cleared, the panel found evidence against Vatsa. Babangida described himself as “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” by the findings but insisted that military law left him no room for clemency.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied. That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said. Vatsa was executed by firing squad in March 1986.

Turning to contemporary issues, Babangida urged Nigerians to remain patient and supportive of President Bola Tinubu’s administration amid ongoing economic hardships and security crises.

He expressed confidence that the government’s current policies would eventually yield positive results, calling for national hope and resilience during the challenging transition.

Continue Reading

News

Residents of Lokon Kango in Mandawari Area, Kano, Seek Government Intervention Over Poor Drainage

Published

on

 

Residents of Lokon Kango in the Mandawari area of Kano metropolis have called on the government to intervene over the deplorable state of drainage channels in their community, which they say has led to the collapse of two houses.

Mallam Anas Tanga, one of the coordinators of community sanitation efforts in the area, said residents have been doing their best to clear the drains, but their efforts are not enough.

“We are doing our best, alongside other youths. For years, we have been involved in clearing these drains,” he said. “But the extent of the damage is such that even after we do the work, it doesn’t take long before the problem returns.”

On his part, a community elder, Mallam Abubakar, told our reporter how the poor drainage system contributed to the collapse of at least two houses.

Advert

“These houses you see here collapsed as a result of the lack of proper drainage,” he said. “Anytime there is heavy rain, especially at night, we live in fear.”

He appealed to relevant stakeholders to come to their aid.

Malama Ladidi, one of the residents whose home is flooded during the rainy season, also lamented her situation.

“The rainy season is terrible for us and our children,” she said. “We go through a lot of hardship. We don’t even sleep until we have drained the water that enters our rooms. This is a big problem. The youths are trying their best, but the government must step in.”

Finally, one of the youths in the community spoke about the role they played during elections, only to be neglected afterwards.

“All our neighboring areas have had this work done, except us. We are really suffering,” he said. “We helped bring this government to power. We contributed, but now we are not benefiting from anything.”

The residents said they had earlier reported the problem to authorities, particularly the Gwale Local Government, but nothing had been done.

In an effort to get the government’s side of the story, we visited the office of the Gwale Local Government Chairman, Hon. Abubakar Mu’azu Mojo. However, he was not available.

We also tried to reach him by phone and text message, but as of the time of filing this report, we had not received any response from him.

Continue Reading

Trending