Connect with us

News

Aliko Dangote Foundation Flags-off N16BN National Food Intervention Project.

Published

on

 

Over one million Nigerians nationwide will receive a 10kg bag of rice each as the Aliko Dangote Foundation (ADF) Thursday launched the 2025 Annual National Food Intervention Project valued at N16billion.

Speaking at the ceremony in Kano, the Chairman of the Aliko Dangote Foundation, Mr. Aliko Dangote, said the distribution of one million bags of 10kg rice to the poor and most vulnerable Nigerians in the 774 Local Government Areas is in line with the core values of his company and Foundation.

Dangote, who was represented by his daughter Marya Aliko Dangote said: “This annual initiative, which embodies compassion, solidarity, and shared responsibility, is part of our response to the current economic challenges facing our nation. It reflects our commitment to supporting our communities in line with our core values.”

He said the Foundation was kicking off the distribution in Kano State, after which it will proceed to other states while ensuring that the food reaches those who need it most in all the Local Government Areas of Nigeria.

Mr. Dangote who is Africa’s wealthiest person said Food remains a basic human necessity, and this is why the Aliko Dangote Foundation adopted the practice of embarking on a food distribution program across the States.

“We are collaborating with state governments to ensure that the food reaches the most vulnerable individuals in each state,” he added.

Ladies and gentlemen, our Foundation focuses on improving the living conditions of Nigerians through support for projects that tackle hunger and water supply problems, strengthen the quality and scope of health and education, and promote economic empowerment at the community level
“Your Excellency, I believe that today’s event will help in tackling hunger and helping the most vulnerable people in breaking their fast.

“We are playing our role in enhancing the living conditions of our people. I urge other industrialists and firms to lend a helping hand in combating hunger through programs and initiatives that will place food on the tables of vulnerable Nigerians.
“This job should not be left to the government alone, rather we need a public-private partnership that will help us in fighting the scourge.

Advert

“I commend the government at all levels for its efforts in addressing the food crisis. I am certain that with time, we shall overcome these challenges, therefore let us support the government to achieve its target of a better life for Nigerians, “he said.

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State, who flagged off the Annual National Food Intervention Project said the intervention reflects the unwavering commitment of Mr. Dangote in addressing poverty and hunger in Nigeria.

The Governor who was represented by his Deputy Comrade Aminu Abdulsalam Gworzo said 120,000 bags of 10kg rice will be distributed across the 44 Local Government Areas of the State.

He described Mr. Dangote as humane, adding that: “A similar event took place last year where he oversaw the distribution of foodstuff to the poor in this very arena.”
To ensure transparency in the distribution process, he said the state government has set up a committee comprising relevant ministries, CSOs, religious leaders, departments and agencies, local authorities, the Hisbah Board, and security agencies.

Speaking to newsmen, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Aliko Dangote Foundation, Zouera Youssoufou, said the Annual National Food Intervention Project is a way of giving back, and supporting governments in fighting poverty and hunger in Nigeria.
She said Mr. Dangote is passionate about philanthropy and committed to ensuring that hunger is wiped out or reduced to the minimum in Nigeria.

“We are going to other states to distribute the products, but we’ve just flagged off in Kano,” she told newsmen on the sideline of the Kano Government House, the venue of the flag-off.

The Deputy Commander-General of Hisbah Board in Kano, Dr. Mujahid Aminudeen, thanked the Aliko Dangote Foundation for the initiative, urging more Nigerians to emulate Mr. Dangote in the humanitarian cause.
He said the Hisbah Board will ensure that the products reach the targeted beneficiaries.

Representative of the poor and vulnerable Ibrahim Ahmed thanked Mr. Dangote while praying to God to help him in his businesses.
Background .

ADF has been at the forefront of tackling and ameliorating the impact of natural disasters and health challenges in Nigeria and the rest of the world.
ADF donated N153million to boost Nigeria’s fight against Ebola Virus Disease in 2014, $3million to the African Union (AU) to help combat the scourge, and N66.66 million to install thermal scanning systems and cameras at Nigeria’s 4 international airports.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, we donated N2billion to the CACOVID Fund, a Private Sector task force in partnership with the Federal Government, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) with the sole aim of combating Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.

In support for education, we donated a N1. 2bn modern business school edifice to the Bayero University, Kano, a fully equipped 2,160-bed capacity hostel complex to the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and a N300 million building to University of Ibadan Business School.

Beyond the shores of Nigeria, Aliko Dangote Foundation has also recorded milestones with a donation of $1million, to lift victims of two earthquakes that devastated Nepal.

News

Protesters Return to NASS, Insist on Mandatory Electronic Transmission

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Protesters on Monday, February 16, stormed the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC)

The demonstrators, comprising civil society organisations including Situation Room and ActionAid, insisted that manual collation of results be scrapped entirely to curb manipulation during the collation process.

The protest followed a five-day lull after lawmakers gave assurances during last Tuesday’s plenary that concerns around Clause 60(3) of the amendment bill would be revisited.

Security operatives mounted barricades at the entrances to the National Assembly complex, preventing the protesters from gaining access. The demonstrators subsequently staged their rally outside the main gates, chanting and displaying placards calling for transparency in the electoral process.

Advert

They argued that there was no justification for retaining manual backups, noting that election budgets already provide for technological infrastructure to support seamless electronic transmission.

Last Tuesday, the Senate reconvened in an emergency plenary to reconsider its earlier position on Clause 60(3). Senate Chief Whip, Senator Tahir Monguno (APC, Borno North), moved a motion to delete the phrase “real-time” and replace the word “transmission” with “transfer.”

The proposal triggered heated debate on the floor, with senators including Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe (APGA, Abia South) raising repeated points of order in opposition.

At the end of deliberations, the Senate approved electronic transmission of results to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Result Viewing (IReV) portal but retained manual collation as a fallback option in the event of technical failure.

The Senate is scheduled to reconvene on Tuesday, February 17, at 11 a.m., where further decisions on the bill and other national matters are expected.

Meanwhile, the protesters vowed to sustain pressure on lawmakers until real-time electronic transmission is made mandatory without exceptions.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Federal Government has filed criminal charges against former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged unlawful interception of communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, marked C2/99/2026 and dated February 16, 2026, lists the Federal Republic of Nigeria as the complainant and El-Rufai as the sole defendant.

According to court documents obtained by our correspondent, the prosecution alleged that during an appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja on February 13, 2026, El-Rufai admitted that he and others unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser.

Advert

In count one, the Federal Government contends that the alleged admission constitutes an offence under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count two accuses the former governor of stating during the same interview that he knew and associated with individuals involved in the alleged interception but failed to report them to appropriate security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.

The third count alleges that El-Rufai and others said to be at large, sometime in 2026 in Abuja, used technical equipment or systems to unlawfully intercept the National Security Adviser’s communications. The prosecution argues that the act compromised public safety and national security, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

As of press time, no date had been fixed for arraignment. Efforts to reach El-Rufai’s legal team for comment were ongoing.

Continue Reading

News

El-Rufai Writes NSA, Demands Explanation on Alleged Procurement of Deadly Poison to Nigeria

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, has formally requested clarification from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) regarding the alleged procurement of a highly toxic chemical substance, Thallium Sulphate.

In a letter dated January 30, 2026, and addressed to National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu, El-Rufai stated he was acting “as a concerned citizen” to seek details about what he described as the procurement of approximately 10 kilograms of the substance, reportedly sourced from a supplier in Poland. The letter was received by ONSA on February 11, 2026.

According to Science Direct, Thallium sulfate is an extremely hazardous substance. It is a tasteless, odourless, and colourless crystalline powder historically used as a potent rodenticide and insecticide. Due to its extreme toxicity—with a fatal human dose estimated to be as low as 8 to 12 milligrammes per kilogramme—its use is tightly restricted or banned in many countries. The chemical mimics potassium in the body, leading to severe nervous system damage, hair loss, and potentially death.

The letter, titled “Request for Clarification on the Procurement of Thallium Sulphate,” raises several critical questions regarding the purpose, regulatory compliance, and safety measures surrounding the reported acquisition.

Advert

El-Rufai wrote that he was seeking clarification as a concerned citizen based on information available to the political opposition leadership about a procurement of approximately 10 kilogrammes of Thallium Sulphate by ONSA, reportedly from a supplier in Poland. Highlighting the grave danger posed by the substance, he stressed the need for transparency, noting that because thallium salts are highly toxic and tightly controlled substances, it was important for public safety, democratic accountability, and maintaining public trust to confirm specific details.

He therefore sought clarification on the intended purpose and end-use of the imported Thallium Sulphate, the supplier’s identity, and whether the material was imported under an existing chemical or defence permit. He also requested information on the total quantity and specific form or concentration being procured or already procured, as well as the storage and security arrangements for the material upon arrival.

Furthermore, he asked about the regulatory oversight and coordination with NAFDAC, NCDC, and relevant public-health and environmental agencies, and whether any public-health risk assessments or hazard-mitigation plans had been developed given the compound’s extreme toxicity.

El-Rufai emphasised that his inquiry was made in good faith, with the sole aim of ensuring due process and transparency, rather than inflaming political tensions. He stated that public confidence in the integrity of national institutions is strengthened when potential risks are openly addressed and managed.

The former governor requested continued dialogue with the NSA’s office on the matter and expressed appreciation for a response or a point of contact within the office for further engagement to reassure concerned Nigerian citizens in the opposition.

In a move underscoring the demand for transparency, El-Rufai copied the correspondence to the Directors-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), as well as the National Chairmen of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The inquiry comes amid recent political tension, following claims by the former governor that NSA Ribadu ordered his arrest, an incident that led to a recent altercation at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. It also follows El-Rufai’s assertion that an individual had intercepted a phone conversation confirming the NSA’s involvement in the alleged arrest attempt.

Continue Reading

Trending