Connect with us

News

Negative Stories About Africa: 9 BBC Staff Resign

Published

on

 

At least nine journalists with the BBC Hausa Service in Nigeria have resigned in the last one month in what is described as “unprecedented” in the history of the international media outlet.

Daily Trust reports that the affected staff members comprised two senior digital journalists, three social media journalists – two of whom are senior reporters – a senior bilingual reporter for Hausa/English Africa, a multimedia reporter and two video journalists.

It was gathered that while five of the journalists left last December; the four others resigned on Monday to join newly established Africa section of Turkish Radio and Television (TRT) in Istanbul.

“This is unprecedented in the history of BBC Hausa. Nine journalists of BBC Hausa have joined soon-to-be-launch TRT Hausa after the Turkish government decided to establish TRT Africa: Hausa, Swahili, French and English for Africa,” a source at the BBC confided in our correspondent.

#

The source said Nasidi Adamu Yahaya, who resigned as senior digital journalist, would head the Hausa service at TRT, with other senior journalists, Halima Umar Saleh and Ishaq Khalid as his deputies.

Asked what led to the mass resignation, one of the journalists, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they were primarily motivated by the Turkish media’s resolve to tell positive stories in Africa

He said: “TRT wants us to change the narrative of storytelling. Other international media organisations have been reporting mainly hunger, wars and other negative narratives about Africa.

There are good, positive stories in Africa – business and employment opportunities. There are cultural values, sports, innovations; people that are involved in artificial intelligence-related work. These are what TRT Hausa Service will be covering. Many international media are not reporting these things.

“We’re not saying we’re not going to report Boko Haram, banditry and others, but we have other positive stories. There are human angle stories on Boko Haram. We want to give Africans voices. People should be heard about their positive stories; not just negative stories always.”

The journalist, who also described the resignations as “unprecedented,” confirmed that “the last set of journalists tendered their resignation letters today (Monday).”

“Some of them are leaving today while others will leave in few days’ time. Five of us left in December. In Nigeria, BBC Hausa has more than 40 journalists, but now, about one third of us are leaving. It has never happened in BBC Hausa Service,” he added

 

 

News

Tinubu’s Political Adviser, Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Resigns

Published

on

 

Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the political adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has resigned, it was reliably learnt.

Impeccable sources in the presidency confirmed yesterday that the former spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) tendered his resignation about two weeks ago.

#

The sources said Dr. Baba-Ahmed did not provide details of the reasons for his decision, only stating that it was on personal grounds. However, as of the time of filing this report, it was unclear whether the presidency had accepted his resignation.

Baba-Ahmed was appointed Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office of Vice President Kashim Shettima in September 2023.

 

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

News

Islamic Scholar Dr Abdul Aziz Dutsen Tanshi Is Dead

Published

on

A prominent Islamic cleric, Imam Dr. Idris Abdul’aziz Dutsen Tanshi, has passed away.

Sheikh Muhammad Kabir Haruna confirmed his death on his verified Facebook account late on Thursday night.

Late Imam Dutsen Tanshi was a leading Islamic scholar in Africa, widely recognized for his contributions to disseminating Islamic teachings across the continent.

In addition to his scholarly work, Imam Idris was also a businessman and farmer.

He had been contending with ill health for some time, and recently traveled abroad for medical treatment during the last Ramadan.

#

His funeral will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday at the Eid Mosque in Games Village, Bauchi state.

Continue Reading

News

Emir of Gaya’s Faithful Endurance Earns Him Reinstatement – Governor Yusuf

Published

on

 

 

Kano State Governor, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf has revealed that the Emir of Gaya was reinstated due to his unwavering faith, humility, and total submission to the will of Allah when he was dethroned.

This was contained in a statement issued by the governor’s Spokesperson, Sanusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, on Thursday.

Speaking at the Kano Government House during a Sallah homage visit by the Emir, Governor Yusuf commended the traditional ruler for the exemplary way he handled his removal from office, describing him as a leader who accepted his fate with dignity, patience, and absolute trust in divine destiny.

“The Emir of Gaya showed true submission to the will of Allah when he was dethroned. He neither resisted nor protested but instead accepted it in good faith and placed his trust in Allah.

“It is this rare display of humility and patience that earned him his reinstatement,” Governor Yusuf stated.

#

The governor further reassured the Emir of his administration’s commitment to the comprehensive development of Gaya Emirate, noting that efforts are already underway to improve key infrastructure in the area.

He disclosed that a team of engineers has been deployed to assess roads and other critical infrastructure needs in the Emirate, with actual construction set to commence soon.

“Our government is determined to transform Gaya into a modern city. We will start by constructing feeder roads and follow- up with culverts to prevent flooding and improve drainage systems. This is part of our broader strategy to ensure sustainable development across all Emirates in Kano State,” Governor Yusuf said.

He further emphasized that his administration remains committed to traditional institutions, recognizing their role in maintaining peace, fostering unity, and promoting cultural heritage.

In his response, the Emir of Gaya, Dr. Aliyu Ibrahim Abdulkadir expressed deep gratitude to the governor for his confidence and support, pledging to work closely with the government in advancing the interests of the Emirate and ensuring continued peace and stability.

The governor’s decision to reinstate the Emir of Gaya is widely seen as a recognition of patience, humility, and loyalty as qualities that are essential for leadership and community harmony.

 

Continue Reading

Trending