Connect with us

News

FACT-CHECK: How True Is Trump’s Claim Of Christian Genocide In Nigeria?

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The US, on Friday, October 31, 2025, under President Donald Trump’s administration has redesignated Nigeria as a “country of particular concern” over allegations of genocide against Christians.

The Nigerian Tracker News has learnt that the Christian genocide narrative in Nigeria supposedly gained traction after the address of Vice-President Kashim Shettima at the United Nations last week.

Shettima had said the situation in Gaza was “heart-wrenching” and demanded an immediate ceasefire that would birth Palestinians independence and create homes of their own on territories already recognised by the UN and international law.

He said a two-state solution remained the most viable path to peace and warned that continued neglect of international law only fuels propaganda and undermines global stability.

Many, including a Vatican Cardinal, had rejected the claim, saying both Christians and Muslims were victims of insecurity in Nigeria.

It’s quite surprising hearing such claim coming from Trump because, earlier this month, Massad Boulos, Senior Adviser to Trump for Arab and African Affairs, dismissed persistent claims of a Christian genocide in Nigeria — insisting that terrorism in the country affects people of all faiths.

Speaking in Rome, Italy, during a meeting with President Bola Tinubu on the sidelines of the Aqaba Process Heads of State and Government summit, Boulos countered allegations by some U.S. lawmakers who had called for Nigeria to be designated a “country of particular concern” (CPC) over alleged persecution of Christians.

Despite such unambiguous stand by his Senior Adviser on the matter, in a post on social Media, on Friday, Trump said Christianity was facing an existential threat in Nigeria.

“Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria. Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter. I am hereby making Nigeria a “COUNTRY OF PARTICULAR CONCERN” — But that is the least of it. When Christians, or any such group, is slaughtered like is happening in Nigeria (3,100 versus 4,476 Worldwide), something must be done!”

“I am asking Congressman Riley Moore, together with Chairman Tom Cole and the House Appropriations Committee, to immediately look into this matter, and report back to me.

“The United States cannot stand by while such atrocities are happening in Nigeria, and numerous other Countries. We stand ready, willing, and able to save our Great Christian population around the World!”

While some blamed his utterances on ignorance of what really transpires here in Nigeria on the said issue, others brand him as a deliberately mischievous being.

What Does The Term “Country Of A Particular Concern” Mean?

According to the US, a Country of Particular Concern (CPC) is a designation by the United States Secretary of State (under authority delegated by the President) of a country responsible for particularly severe violations of religious freedom under the International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA) of 1998 (H.R. 2431) and its amendment of 1999 (Public Law 106-55).

The term “particularly severe violations of religious freedom” means systematic, ongoing, egregious violations of religious freedom, including violations such as:

Advert

a) Torture or cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment;
b) Prolonged detention without charges;
c) Causing the disappearance of persons by the abduction or clandestine detention of those persons; or
d) Other flagrant denials of the right to life, liberty, or the security of persons. Nations so designated are subject to further actions, including economic sanctions, by the United States.

Historically, this newspaper recalled that this is the second time that the US government is branding Nigeria as a Country Of Particular Concern, as the first one was reported to had happened in December, 2020.

Data Speaks

Nigerian Tracker News, in its quest to make the world know the authenticity of the president’s claim, made a thorough investigation into the matter by presenting records of violence and killings in each of the six geo political zones in Nigeria.

The North West and North East regions have been the most severely affected by killings in Nigeria in recent years. The violence in Nigeria is driven by a mix of factors including insurgency (Boko Haram and ISWAP), banditry, and farmer-herder clashes, with different regions experiencing different primary threats.

North West

This region has recorded the highest number of overall murder cases and kidnappings recently, with banditry and associated criminal activities being the primary causes. States like Zamfara, Kaduna, and Katsina have been major flashpoints. In the period between May 2023 and April 2024, the North West alone recorded an estimated 206,030 murder cases.

North East

Historically, this region has been the epicenter of the Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgencies. Borno State, in particular, has experienced the highest number of insurgency-related fatalities. The conflict has resulted in hundreds of thousands of direct and indirect deaths since 2009, with an estimated 188,992 cases reported between May 2023 and April 2024.

North Central (Middle Belt)

This region is frequently affected by long-standing and escalating conflicts between predominantly Fulani herders and mostly Hausa farmers over land and water resources. Benue and Plateau states have experienced significant mass killings and displacement due to these clashes, with Benue recording the highest death toll in the two years since President Bola Tinubu took office (May 2023 – May 2025).

Southern Regions (South East, South South, South West)

While experiencing significant crime, including cultism, kidnapping for ransom, and road accidents, these regions generally have lower levels of large-scale killings compared to the northern and central regions. The South West reported the least number of murder cases between May 2023 and April 2024. The South East has seen an increase in violence related to separatist agitation and other criminal activities.

National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) Report (May 2023 – April 2024)

This report highlights the North West (206,030 cases) and North East (188,992 cases) as having the highest number of murder cases nationally.

Amnesty International Reports:

Various reports from Amnesty International have consistently documented the failure of authorities to protect rural communities, particularly in the North West and North Central, from attacks by armed groups, leading to thousands of deaths and a looming humanitarian crisis.

UN and Research Think Tanks:

Reports from the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and the International Crisis Group provide in-depth analysis of the root causes of the violence, such as competition over resources, weak governance, and the proliferation of arms, confirming the north of the country as the most violent.

Causes of Violence by Region (In Summary)

Region Primary Causes of Violence
North West: Banditry, kidnappings, criminal activities
North East: Insurgency (Boko Haram, ISWAP)
North Central: Farmer-herder clashes (land, water resources)
South East : Separatist agitation, cultism, kidnappings
South South : Cultism, kidnapping for ransom, road accidents
South West: Crime (including cultism, kidnapping), relatively lower large-scale killings

A critical observation of the information above makes it clear that Donald Trump’s claim of a Christian genocide in Nigeria is false, because the two regionsthe South-East and South-South which are predominantly Christian environments, are suffering from violence unrelated to religion.

News

Kano Hajj Medical Team Commended for Commitment to Pilgrims’ Healthcare in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

 

By: Lamara Garba

The medical team deployed by the Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board for this year’s Hajj exercise in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has continued to receive commendation for its commitment and dedication to the healthcare needs of pilgrims.

The team, headed by Dr. Ibrahim Musa, has established clinics in all the seven major houses accommodating pilgrims from Kano State in Makkah to ensure easy access to medical care throughout the Hajj period.

The Kano medical team operates in collaboration with the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) medical mission, working in synergy with the national healthcare structure put in place for Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia.

Speaking to reporters in Makkah, Dr. Ibrahim Musa explained that the Kano team remains fully integrated into the broader NAHCON medical framework, which coordinates healthcare services for Nigerian pilgrims and facilitates collaboration with Saudi health authorities.

According to him, the arrangement has enabled the team to provide prompt and efficient healthcare services while ensuring that patients requiring further medical attention are properly referred through the established Saudi healthcare referral system.

He disclosed that most of the cases being attended to involve minor ailments such as joint pains, malaria, catarrh, fatigue, and routine complications among diabetic and hypertensive patients, many of whom require medication adjustments due to the weather and physical demands of the Hajj exercise.

Advert

“We attend to patients promptly, provide necessary treatment, and where additional attention is required, referrals are made seamlessly through the appropriate channels in collaboration with NAHCON and Saudi medical facilities,” he stated.

Dr. Ibrahim Musa further revealed that the Kano State Government procured adequate drugs and medical consumables to cater for the health needs of pilgrims throughout their stay in the holy land.

He noted that beyond the fixed clinics established in the major accommodation centres, the medical team also operates a decentralised and mobile healthcare service to cater for pilgrims residing in a few outlier accommodations located away from the main clusters.

According to him, the mobile arrangement has significantly improved accessibility and ensured that no pilgrim is left unattended regardless of location.

Dr. Ibrahim Musa also expressed profound appreciation to the Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, for providing the necessary support and enabling environment for the medical team to function effectively during the Hajj exercise.

He stated that the successes recorded so far were largely due to the Governor’s commitment to the welfare of pilgrims, particularly in the areas of healthcare support, provision of drugs, logistics, and personnel deployment.

Also speaking, one of the medical doctors attached to the team, Dr. Ashiru Muhammad Sumaila, expressed satisfaction with the level of preparation made for the medical mission.

He explained that adequate drugs, medical equipment, and personnel were made available to support effective healthcare delivery during the Hajj exercise.

Dr. Ashiru Muhammad Sumaila particularly commended the team leader, Dr. Ibrahim Musa, for providing effective coordination and leadership, which he said has enhanced smooth medical operations across all the accommodation centres.

He added that the strong teamwork among the healthcare personnel, combined with support from NAHCON and Saudi health authorities, has contributed immensely to the smooth handling of medical cases involving the pilgrims.

The medical team also advised pilgrims to continue observing health guidelines by staying hydrated, taking prescribed medications regularly, avoiding unnecessary exposure to extreme heat, and maintaining proper hygiene during the Hajj rites.

Some of the pilgrims who spoke with our correspondent praised the medical team for their accessibility, professionalism, and prompt response to health concerns, describing their presence as reassuring and comforting throughout the spiritual journey.

Continue Reading

News

Over 1.5 million Pilgrims Converge at the Sacred Saudi Masjid for Hajj Surpassing 2025 Record

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Over 1.5 million pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia from outside the kingdom for the upcoming hajj, according to a Saudi official, exceeding the number of international visitors last year despite the war in the Middle East.

The conflict triggered by the US and Israeli strikes on Iran in late February saw Tehran order waves of strikes on targets in Saudi Arabia and across the Gulf, prompting widespread air traffic disruptions and causing travel costs to surge.

Major Gulf airlines in the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain have worked to quickly restore much of their operational capacity after weeks of airspace closures and flight cancellations.

Advert

Despite the complications, pilgrims have continued to flock to Saudi Arabia to participate in this year’s hajj.

“The total number of pilgrims arriving from abroad has reached 1,518,153,” Saleh Al-Murabba, the commander of Saudi Arabia’s Hajj Passport Forces, told a press conference late Friday.

These figures are expected to rise further over the next two days as pilgrims continue to arrive from abroad ahead of the formal rituals that mark the beginning of the hajj on Monday.

Last year, the total number of pilgrims at the hajj reached 1,673,320, including 1,506,576 from outside Saudi Arabia.

The hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, must be performed at least once by all Muslims with the means.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu, Wife Vote in Lagos as APC Presidential Primary Kicks off

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu and his wife, Oluremi, on Saturday participated in the All Progressives Congress presidential primary at Ward E, Ikoyi, Lagos, as the ruling party commenced its nationwide exercise ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The couple arrived at the venue in a motorcade and were received by a large crowd of party supporters, security personnel, and members of the press.

Video footage from the primary showed Tinubu and Oluremi navigating through dense crowds of APC members dressed in traditional attire as they moved through the venue.

The exercise is part of the party’s May 2026 ward-level primaries, through which the incumbent president is seeking re-nomination as the APC’s flagbearer for the 2027 presidential election.

Advert

Heavy press coverage accompanied the event, with cameras capturing the president’s movement through the crowd of supporters and party faithful who had turned out at the Ikoyi ward.

After voting, Tinubu described the exercise as a demonstration of internal democracy and expressed satisfaction with its conduct across the country.

“Demonstration of internal democracy, and it has been going very well according to plan. This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has the right to participate and be involved.

“My challenge is to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well organised,” he said in a video shared by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

Tinubu also praised APC governors for their roles in the electoral process across their respective states.

“Today, I am very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“From the world congresses, to local government congresses, to the delegation accreditation, validation, members register and certification of the electoral process. It has been going very well.

“At least, you will score democracy at a high level,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Trending