Connect with us

News

Alleged $1.9m fraud: Stakeholders defend Kano bizman on EFCC wanted list

Published

on

 

 

Stakeholders in Municipal Local Government area of Kano state have come out in defence of Dubai-based businessman, Auwalu Tijjani Rabi’u, who was recently declared wanted by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC.

Recall that last month, the EFCC released a statement issued by its spokesman, Dele Oyewale, declaring Rabiu wanted in connection with a case of conspiracy, obtaining money by false pretence, and money laundering, amounting to $1,931,700.12.

Days after the statement, Rabi’u, an indigene of Dala Local Government in Kano, came out to ask EFCC to withdraw it or face litigation for damaging his reputation.

The 42-year old international businessman expressed surprised at the EFCC’s alleged twist of truth as he was allegedly cheated in a business transaction with one Ifeanyi Ezeokolu but the anti-graft agency portrayed him as fraudster.

In a statement by Abdullahi Ishak Badamasi an elder in Kano Municipal, on behalf of the stakeholders said they are firmly standing by Rabi’u as their son and a man of integrity.

In the statement, issued to journalists in Kano on Sunday, Alhaji Badamasi described Rabi’u as philanthropist, honest and transparent in all his dealings, reaffirming their support to him.

Narrating the incident that led to the Rabi’u’s travails, Alhaji Badamasi explained that in 2023, business transactions between him and Ezeokolu resulted in overpayment, totalling $3,219,250 to companies linked to him (Ezeokoli).

Advert

According to Alhaji Badamasi, upon identifying the discrepancies, Rabi’u formally reported the matter to the Department of State Services (DSS) for impartial investigation, saying “it is an approach reflecting due diligence and good faith.”

He said the DSS, in the course of its investigation, engaged an independent audit firm, OA Consulting Ltd., to conduct a forensic audit.

“However, the process was hindered by Mr. Ezeokoli’s refusal to provide two key bank account records. Despite the limited access to financial data, the audit report revealed substantial overpayments.

“Rather than cooperating further or refunding the verified amounts, Mr. Ezeokoli escalated the matter to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) a surprising move considering that the case is clearly a civil financial issue, not a criminal matter,” he said.

The elder wondered why the EFCC, after all the clear evidences and forensic analysis of the accounts of the both parties conducted by an independent auditor, turned blind to the truth and portrayed Rabi’u as fraudster.

He therefore said; ” No amount of misrepresentation of facts would portray our son as fraudster. We stand firmly by our son. We know him as a philanthropist, honest and man of integrity.

“We have to speak out because of we are silent, so we have failed him as our son.

“We believe he is innocent in this case. He overpaid in the transaction after he was literally dipped because the initial agreement of the transaction was to transfer dollars to 11 accounts to receive Naira from Ezeokolu.

“However, the Ezeokolu provided only 9 genuine accounts, living out brother losing almost $2 million. But despite this, our son is now wanted by EFCC. This is a sheer injustice and we would not condone it,” he said.

He therefore called on Kano state governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf and the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi ko to intervene in the matter.

In the statement , the stakeholders also condemn what they said, the EFCC’s attempts to “mischaracterize ‘” Alhaji Auwalu as merely a “Kano businessman,” noting that such language appears calculated to damage not only his personal reputation but the image of Kano State and its peaceful business community.

” Rabi’u’s consistent reliance on lawful channels, transparency and respect for due process reflects his unwavering commitment to ethical business conduct,” he added.

Alhaji Badamasi also called on Mr. Ezeokoli to cooperate with relevant authorities, provide the outstanding financial records and uphold principles of fair commercial practice.

“This moment should not divide us,” the statement reads, “but reaffirm our shared commitment to truth, accountability and peaceful coexistence.”

News

Bank of Ghana Appoints Prof. Bashir to Chair Islamic Banking Council

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Bank of Ghana has appointed Professor Bashir Aliyu Umar, a distinguished Islamic scholar from Nigeria’s Bayero University, Kano (BUK), as chairman of its newly constituted council for interest-free (Islamic) banking operations.

Governor Johnson Pandit Asiama formally inaugurated the council members during a brief ceremony in Accra. Professor Umar, a seasoned lecturer in Islamic studies at BUK, will lead the body in ensuring that Ghana’s non-interest banking sector operates in full compliance with Sharia law and its associated ethical principles.

Advert

The appointment marks a significant step for Ghana’s financial sector, underscoring the central bank’s commitment to diversifying its banking landscape amid the rapid global expansion of Islamic finance.

Umar’s selection also highlights the increasing reliance on expert scholarly oversight to maintain regulatory integrity and religious adherence within this growing alternative banking model.

Continue Reading

News

MURIC Writes ICPC, Demands Access to Elrufai

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, has formally requested permission from the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, to visit former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, who is currently in the custody of the anti-corruption agency.

MURIC made the request in a letter submitted to the ICPC on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, by the chairman of its Abuja branch.

The group said the visit was intended to enable its representatives to meet with the former governor and assess his condition while in custody.

According to the organisation, a three-man delegation has been nominated to undertake the visit. The delegation comprises MURIC’s Executive Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola; the chairman of the Abuja branch, Ustadh Yunus Salahudeen; and the branch’s assistant secretary, Shehu Ahmad Lemu.

Advert

MURIC urged the ICPC to grant the delegation access to El-Rufai, stressing that the request was made in line with its civil liberties advocacy and concern for the welfare and rights of persons in detention.

The group noted that Mr El-Rufai had been in ICPC custody since Monday, February 16, 2026, following his detention by the anti-corruption commission.

MURIC said that, as of Tuesday, August 18, 2026, the former governor had spent approximately six months and two days in the custody of the commission.

The organisation did not disclose the specific conditions it intended to assess during the proposed visit, nor did it state whether the request was prompted by any particular complaint concerning El-Rufai’s treatment in custody.

The former Kaduna governor has been under scrutiny by anti-corruption authorities over allegations linked to his administration in the state. His continued detention has also attracted public attention, particularly given the length of time he has spent in custody.

MURIC’s latest request adds a civil liberties dimension to the ongoing case, with the organisation seeking direct access to the former governor through a formally constituted delegation.

The group said it was awaiting the response of the ICPC to its request.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Appoints Abel Olumuyiwa As Head Of Service

Published

on

 

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Mr Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, effective August 27, 2026.

Mr Enitan succeeds Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who will retire soon from the Federal Civil Service upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60.

Mr Enitan, from Osun State, is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service.

He has served as Permanent Secretary for seven years and seven months, working at the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President. He is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education.

Advert

He brings considerable institutional experience and a deep understanding of how the Federal Civil Service works to his new responsibility.

President Tinubu expresses his profound appreciation to Mrs Walson-Jack for her distinguished service to the nation and for the reforms, impact and innovations witnessed in the Civil Service during her tenure.

The President wishes her a fulfilling and successful life after service and conveys the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service.

President Tinubu charges the incoming Head of the Civil Service of the Federation to consolidate on the reforms and innovations already underway, deepen professionalism and efficiency across the service, and build a more effective and responsive Civil Service capable of delivering on the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The President further urges Mr Enitan to lead a Civil Service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative, and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations.

Enitan was born on December 12, 1966. He had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife. He later attended the University of Lagos and graduated in 1988 with a B.Sc. in Finance and Banking.

In 2015, Enitan obtained an M.Sc. in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Lafia.

 

Continue Reading

Trending