Connect with us

News

Northern Nigeria’s Existence In Next Five Years Uncertain –ACF

Published

on

Alhaji Bashir Dalhatu

 

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has expressed fear that banditry and insurgency have gone out of control in Northern Nigeria to the extent that it may threaten the existence of the entire region in the next five years.

The Chairman of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the ACF, Alhaji Bashir Muhammad Dalhatu, has expressed the Forum’s concern over the current insecurity in the North, and warned that banditry and general insecurity have posed serious threat to the survival of the region.

 

Dalhatu issued the warning on Thursday in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, during a visit to offer condolences and solidarity to the people of the state following the recent devastating flood disaster in Maiduguri.

 

Dalhatu described the North as being in an extremely dire situation, facing multiple crises including insurgency in the North East, banditry in the North West, and various other social vices and challenges in the North Central.

Advert

 

Dalhatu said, “Our predicament is worsened by insurgency and banditry, which have even made it impossible for our people to go to their farms.

 

“Many farmers can no longer access their lands, and we no longer produce enough food to feed ourselves.

 

“Millions of children are out of school, and social ills such as Almajiri and begging have become rampant.

 

“When you consider all these issues together, it becomes clear that we are in a perilous state.”

 

He warned that if immediate action is not taken, the situation could worsen, further threatening the region’s existence.

 

He said, “Ten years ago, there were no bandits in the North West. Today, however, nearly every state in the region is grappling with banditry.

 

“We fear that if this trend continues unchecked, the situation could spiral out of control in the next five years, endangering our way of life.”

 

Dalhatu emphasised that the efforts made so far over the last decade to curb the insurgency have failed to yield meaningful results and, in some cases, have only exacerbated the problem.

 

He noted that, “The actions taken in the past 15 years have not been able to stop insurgency; in fact, they have worsened the situation.

 

“We now realise the full extent of the danger we face, and the consequences of inaction will be catastrophic.”

 

He said that in response, the ACF has assembled a team of experienced and knowledgeable experts to thoroughly assess the situation.

 

According to Dalhatu, their findings will be presented to the 19 northern state governors, who will then take the matter to the federal government for urgent and decisive action.

 

Dalhatu assured that this time, the ACF is committed to ensuring that effective and sustainable solutions are implemented.

 

He said, “We are hopeful that, Insha Allah, the actions we propose will be far more effective. With determination and the right approach, we believe we can bring an end to these pressing challenges.”

News

Legal Troubles Mount for El-Rufai as ICPC Takes Him into Custody

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The legal challenges facing the immediate past Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, intensified on Wednesday as he was taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The anti-graft agency confirmed the development in a statement on Thursday, signed by its Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody as at close of work, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026,” the statement read. “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.”

While the ICPC did not disclose the specific details of the allegations, his detention marks a significant escalation in the scrutiny of his eight-year tenure and follows a recent high-profile arrest by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

El-Rufai’s transfer to ICPC custody comes immediately after he spent two nights with the EFCC over allegations of large-scale corruption and embezzlement. Those allegations stem from a Kaduna State House of Assembly ad-hoc committee report, which indicted his administration for allegedly siphoning approximately ₦432 billion through questionable contracts and money laundering.

Advert

Sources revealed that while the EFCC had granted the former governor administrative bail, the process was derailed under controversial circumstances. The bail conditions reportedly required a Permanent Secretary and a Director in a federal ministry to stand as sureties. However, after one of the proposed sureties—a Permanent Secretary—arrived at the EFCC office to complete the formalities, the agency allegedly hesitated and later declined to proceed.

Further compounding the issue, it was learned that the Permanent Secretary subsequently withdrew from the process, citing alleged threats. This has raised concerns about possible intimidation and interference in the case.

El-Rufai was scheduled to appear before the ICPC on Wednesday for questioning over separate corruption allegations, leading to his transfer to the commission’s custody.

In a parallel legal front, the Department of State Services (DSS) has filed charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja. The charges, filed under suit number FHC/CR/99/2026, allege that the former governor unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

According to court documents dated February 16, 2026, the prosecution’s case hinges on comments El-Rufai made during a televised interview on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026.

In the first count, the former governor is accused of unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications, an offense said to be contrary to Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

The second count alleges that El-Rufai admitted to knowing individuals involved in the interception but failed to report them to relevant security agencies, an offense under Section 27(b) of the same Act.

In the third count, prosecutors allege that El-Rufai and “others still at large” used technical systems to compromise public safety and national security by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

El-Rufai has consistently denied all allegations leveled against him, describing them as politically motivated “witch-hunts.” However, with the EFCC, ICPC, and DSS all pursuing separate investigations, the former governor now faces an unprecedented multi-agency legal offensive.

Continue Reading

News

Veteran Kano Broadcaster Lami Maccido Dies at 72

Published

on

 

A veteran Kano broadcaster who worked with the Kano State pioneer-owned television station, Lami Hafsat Maccido, has died at 72.

According to multiple sources, including veteran journalists, Hajiya Lami Hafsat Maccido died in the early hours of Wednesday.

She was among the pioneer casters of CTV 67, which is now ARTV, established by the first civilian Governor of Kano State, Late Alhaji Muhammad Abubakar Rimi.

Advert

Before Hajiya Lami Maccido retired from the state television station, she captivated her audience with eloquent news presentation and was a role model for young journalists.

Tributes have continued to pour in for the late veteran journalist from her senior and junior colleagues.

Former Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Kano Council, Abbas Ibrahim, described Hajiya Lami Hafsat Maccido as a very humble journalist who corrected her juniors with humility.

 

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill Into Law Ahead of 2027 Polls

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday gave his assent to the Electoral Act 2022 (Amendment) Bill, 2026, a move that comes just days after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) unveiled the official timetable for the 2027 general elections.

The signing ceremony took place at the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, shortly after 5:00 pm. The event was attended by key leaders of the National Assembly, who facilitated the bill’s speedy passage a day earlier.

The newly signed amendment has thrust the contentious issue of electronic transmission of election results back into the national spotlight. While the legislation signals a continued commitment to technological integration, the specifics of the amendment are expected to shape the operational framework for INEC in the upcoming electoral cycle.

Advert

Civil society organizations and opposition political parties have consistently advocated for the mandatory real-time transmission of results directly from polling units to INEC’s central viewing portal. They argue that such transparency is critical to safeguarding the electoral process, reducing human interference, and bolstering public confidence in election outcomes.

This demand follows the technical glitches experienced during the 2023 general elections, where the malfunction of INEC’s Result Viewing Portal (IReV) led to widespread allegations of manipulation and sparked protests.

While the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has expressed general support for deploying technology to enhance electoral integrity, the implementation strategy remains a point of contention. Some political stakeholders and technical experts are advocating for a cautious approach, citing significant disparities in network connectivity and telecommunications infrastructure across the country. They propose a phased or hybrid model that would allow for manual collation as a failover in areas where electronic systems are unreliable, ensuring that no voter is disenfranchised due to technical failures.

With the amendment now law, attention turns to the execution of the 2027 elections. According to the previously released INEC timetable, voters will head to the polls on Saturday, February 20, 2027, to elect the President and members of the National Assembly. This will be followed by the Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections on Saturday, March 6, 2027.

Continue Reading

Trending