Connect with us

News

Kano Government Reverts Sa’adatu Rimi University to College of Education

Published

on

Abba Kabir Yusuf,2019 Gubernatorial Candidate

In a move aimed at improving the quality of education and ensuring effective management in the state’s higher education sector, the Kano State Executive Council has approved the conversion of Sa’adatu Rimi University of Education back to Sa’adatu Rimi College of Education, Kumbotso. The institution will remain a degree-awarding body despite the reversion.

The decision was made during the council’s 18th sitting, following extensive consultations with key stakeholders and the recommendations of a high-level committee appointed by the state government. The committee was tasked with assessing the university’s status and proposing ways to enhance its academic quality.

In a statement signed by the states commissioner for information Baba Halilu Dantiye said the following

The committee’s findings reflected concerns from both the academic and non-academic communities, as well as other stakeholders, about the challenges associated with the transition from a college to university status. One key issue was the institution’s strategic location, which serves students from non-metropolitan areas. Stakeholders feared that the transition could have a negative impact, including the potential loss of experienced lecturers, salary-related disputes, and administrative challenges that could compromise the institution’s operational efficiency.

Advert

The Council highlighted that similar institutions across the country have operated successfully as colleges of education while offering a range of degree programs without converting to university status. The “Dual Mode” system, introduced by the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), allows colleges to offer both certificate and degree programs, providing a flexible academic structure.

The Kano State Government reassured students that the conversion will not affect their current academic pursuits. Existing undergraduates will continue their studies without disruption, and the university’s certification will be preserved for future use. Additionally, the institution will maintain its traditional courses and continue to offer degree programs under its new expanded mandate as a college of education.

As part of the restructuring, Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf has approved the immediate dissolution of the university’s management. The Vice Chancellor has been directed to hand over the institution’s affairs to the most senior deputy, pending further announcements.

This decision underscores the Kano State Government’s commitment to stabilizing and enhancing the performance of its higher education institutions, while addressing stakeholder concerns to maintain academic excellence and operational efficiency.

News

Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker, Alleges Corruption, Poor Leadership Under Ousted Predecessor

Published

on

 

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has said his predecessor, Blessing Agbebaku, was removed by lawmakers over alleged poor leadership and corruption.

Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I and is a third-term lawmaker, emerged as Speaker on Monday following Agbebaku’s resignation amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Advert

Addressing journalists after Monday’s plenary, Idiaye accused Agbebaku of poor leadership, alleging that his tenure was characterised by corruption and prolonged adjournments.

He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”

Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”

Idiaye’s emergence was also said to have followed the Assembly’s zoning arrangement, which provides that when the governor is from Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

News

Civilian Sponsors Were Indispensable to Every Successful Coup in Nigeria, Says Babangida

Published

on

General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retd.), has asserted that every successful military coup in Nigeria’s history has depended on active support or sponsorship from civilians, challenging the long-held narrative that the country’s political upheavals were purely soldier-led affairs.

In an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, aired ahead of his 85th birthday on Monday, the former president stated that wealthy civilians have historically played instrumental roles in funding and facilitating military takeovers.

“No successful coup in Nigeria’s history had occurred without civilian involvement,” Babangida declared, according to a transcript of the interview cited by THISDAY.

The former leader used the occasion to offer a rare, personal reflection on the 1985 coup plot against his administration, which led to the trial and execution of his close friend and cabinet colleague, Major-General Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

Advert

Babangida recounted that he initially struggled to believe intelligence reports linking Vatsa to the conspiracy, given their decades-long friendship. The two had grown up together, attended Bida Middle School, and enlisted in the military in the same year.

He said he summoned both Vatsa and General Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior officer implicated them. “When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” Babangida recalled.

A military commission of inquiry was subsequently established. While Nasko was cleared, the panel found evidence against Vatsa. Babangida described himself as “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” by the findings but insisted that military law left him no room for clemency.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied. That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said. Vatsa was executed by firing squad in March 1986.

Turning to contemporary issues, Babangida urged Nigerians to remain patient and supportive of President Bola Tinubu’s administration amid ongoing economic hardships and security crises.

He expressed confidence that the government’s current policies would eventually yield positive results, calling for national hope and resilience during the challenging transition.

Continue Reading

Trending