Connect with us

News

Cashless system helps in tracking election financing — Osinbajo

Published

on

By Chijioke Okoronkwo

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo says a cashless policy, when effectively operated in Nigeria, can help stem the surge of illicit election financing by making it possible to track funds.

Osinbajo’s spokesman, Laolu Akande, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said the vice president received a delegation of the EU Election Observation Mission led by Mr Barry Andrews.

The EU Chief Observer is also a member of the European Parliament.

“I think that what we should be looking at is to provide more infrastructures.

“ The cashless thing has been really advantageous and helps with tracking.

“That sort of infrastructure is useful for more financial inclusion and the more financial inclusion you have, the easier it is to track.

“So much money can be spent without it being tracked under the current election financing practices in the country.’’

Osinbajo acknowledged the serious difficulty in controlling election financing because of cash transactions.

Advert

According to him, there are still infrastructure issues required to be in place to ensure an efficient cashless system in the country.

“With cash transactions, it is still difficult to seriously control election financing.’’

On electoral offences, the vice president said the Electoral Offences Commission Bill was at the National Assembly.

He said he hoped that it would begin a new regime of dealing with electoral offences which would be helpful.

“By and large, one shouldn’t expect INEC to be the investigator of electoral offences.

“I think that law enforcement agencies should be responsible for arresting and prosecuting offenders, state by state.

“Electoral offences are always seen through a political prism; people will always feel that they are being prosecuted because they belong to a certain party.

“What is more important is that we have to find a system where the police could have a special unit for offences during the course of elections.

“The Federal High Courts could also have a special jurisdiction to deal with offences and not extend beyond the Federal High Courts.”

On the role of the judicial system, Osinbajo said that more attention should be paid to the monitoring of tribunals and their outcomes, calling for more scrutiny from the National Judicial Council.

He disclosed that discussions had been had in the past concerning malfeasance on the part of some judges and those found guilty should be brought to the fore.

“There should be sanctions and that way, we would be able to clean up and correct some of the problems,’’ he said.

In his remarks, Andrews said that the mission would be monitoring the elections coming up next month and hope for a peaceful and fair electoral process.

According to him, it is the 7th time the INEC is inviting the EU Mission to monitor the elections, adding that the team had been in the country since Jan 11 and will be around until the end of March, 2023.

Other members of the delegation include Ms Samuela Isopi, Ambassador, EU Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS and Mr Thomas Boserup, Deputy Chief Observer, EU Election Observation Mission. (NAN)

News

Human Rights Lawyer Abba Hikima Urges EFCC to Release Blogger After 30 Days in Detention

Published

on

 

Kano-based human rights lawyer, Barrister Abba Hikima, has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to release blogger Maryam Shehu, who he says has been in the agency’s custody for more than 30 days without being charged with an offence.

Hikima made the call in a statement published on his verified Facebook page, where he expressed concern over the circumstances surrounding Shehu’s arrest and continued detention.

According to the lawyer, Shehu, a Kano-based blogger, was arrested in Kano and subsequently taken to Abuja for detention by the EFCC after allegedly raising allegations of corruption involving officials of the anti-graft agency.

Hikima questioned the justification for the blogger’s prolonged detention, insisting that she should either be charged before a competent court if she committed an offence or released immediately.

“Maryam did not steal. She did not defraud anyone. Yet, EFCC detained her for over 30 days,” Hikima stated.

Advert

The lawyer alleged that Shehu was not being investigated for conventional economic and financial crimes such as stealing, fraud or money laundering. He also raised concerns about the EFCC’s alleged involvement as complainant and investigator in a matter in which allegations had reportedly been made against some of its own officials.

 

Hikima further alleged that Shehu was lured by an EFCC official under the guise of a business opportunity before she was arrested in Kano and transported to Abuja.

He described the allegation as troubling and called for an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the blogger’s arrest and detention.

The lawyer also claimed that Shehu had been denied bail and had remained in custody for more than 30 days.

He argued that prolonged detention without trial should not be used as a form of punishment, stressing that an investigation should not amount to a conviction.

“If Maryam committed any offence, charge her before a competent court. Otherwise, release her immediately and allow an independent investigation into the allegations against the EFCC officials,” Hikima said.

Calls for Human Rights Intervention

Hikima disclosed that he and his legal team were working on court papers concerning the matter. He also appealed to human rights organisations to urgently intervene and ensure that Shehu’s fundamental rights are protected.

The lawyer said the case raises broader concerns about due process, the rights of persons in detention and the need for transparency when allegations involve officials of a law enforcement agency.

“Investigation is not punishment. Release Maryam Shehu or charge her to court,” he said, using the hashtag #FreeMaryamShehu to amplify the campaign for her release.

The allegations contained in Hikima’s statement could not independently establish Shehu’s legal status or the specific grounds for her detention.

 

Continue Reading

News

Kano Govt Faults TRACKA Report on ₦235.4m School Project

Published

on

 

The Kano State Government has refuted a report by TRACKA, a civic accountability platform under BudgIT, concerning an alleged ₦235.4 million expenditure on the construction of classroom blocks at Government Girls Senior Secondary School, Permanent Site, Massu, in Sumaila Local Government Area.

 

The State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, made the clarification while addressing journalists at a press briefing, saying the government considered it necessary to set the record straight and prevent the public from being misled by information contained in the report.

Waiya said the administration of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf remained committed to transparency, accountability and prudent management of public resources, stressing that government projects were executed through established procedures and supported by appropriate documentation.

Advert

According to him, the reference in the TRACKA report to an alleged ₦235.4 million expenditure on classroom construction had generated considerable public interest and therefore required official clarification.

 

The Commissioner said the government would continue to provide accurate information on its projects, expenditures and development programmes whenever questions arose, assuring residents that official records remained available to clarify issues of public concern.

He reaffirmed the administration’s commitment to transforming the education sector through the construction and renovation of schools, as well as the provision of essential infrastructure and facilities across the state.

Waiya urged civil society organisations, the media and members of the public to exercise caution when relying on reports concerning government expenditure, advising them to seek clarification from relevant authorities before drawing conclusions.

 

He also said the Kano State Government remained open to constructive engagement with TRACKA, BudgIT and other accountability organisations, noting that credible scrutiny, verification and dialogue were essential to strengthening transparency and improving public service delivery.

 

The Commissioner assured the people of Kano that the government would continue to uphold accountability and make relevant information concerning its projects and programmes available to the public whenever necessary

Continue Reading

News

Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker, Alleges Corruption, Poor Leadership Under Ousted Predecessor

Published

on

 

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has said his predecessor, Blessing Agbebaku, was removed by lawmakers over alleged poor leadership and corruption.

Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I and is a third-term lawmaker, emerged as Speaker on Monday following Agbebaku’s resignation amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Advert

Addressing journalists after Monday’s plenary, Idiaye accused Agbebaku of poor leadership, alleging that his tenure was characterised by corruption and prolonged adjournments.

He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”

Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”

Idiaye’s emergence was also said to have followed the Assembly’s zoning arrangement, which provides that when the governor is from Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Continue Reading

Trending