Connect with us

News

IIP-SARS Orders Police To Produce Victim Of Enforced Disappearance NOV.19

Published

on

 

From Alhassan Bala,Abuja

The Independent Investigative Panel on allegations of human rights violations by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and of the units of the Nigerian Police force Monday ordered the Police to produce Edward Dumsiri Leera whose brother Confidence Leera alleged was held in police custody since November 1,2019.

The panel also gave the Police team led by James Idachaba till Tuesday, November 17, 2020 to respond to a case involving threat to life of Mr. Bello Akubuokwu who was allegedly hit by Police bullet during Shiite clash with the Police at the Federal Secretariat in 2019.

The Chairman of the panel, retired Justice Suleiman Galadima who made the order at the FCT ceremonial court, venue of the panel’s sitting adjourned the case to Thursday November 19, 2020 to enable the Police make the necessary arrangemets towards ensuring the appearance of SP Martins Samuel, DSP Essien E. Edet Esq., ASP David Ahmed Agbo, IGP,IRT “D” Division Itam, Uyo, Commissioner of Police, Akwa Ibom and Inspector General of Police, who are the 1st to 6th respondent respectively.

Prior to the order, elder brother to the victim, Confidence who was led by his counsel, Giwa Victor testified before the Panel about some of the ordeals of his missing brother in the hands of the affected Police officers.

According to the complainant the victim was arrested, detained for no just cause and his car confiscated and converted to personal use by IPO ASP David Ahmed Agbo.

Advert

In addition, he alleged that ASP Agbo is now driving the car belonging to the victim, as well as allegedly making cash withdrawals from the the victm’s bank account using his ATM between the period of November 2019 to October 2020.

He informed the panel that his family was asked to pay the sum of three million naira (N3m) by the police before Edward will be released.
Continuing, he stated that unfortunately, Edward Dumisara was not arraigned before any court of law in Nigeria and when the family got worried over his long incaceration, they instituted a suit for the enforcement of his fundamental rights in suit No. BHC/202/2019.
“Subsequently, on December 17, 2019 the honourable court ordered hearing of the application of Edward Dumisara Leera and delivered judgment in his favour and ordered immediate release of the said Edward. He added that the order was served on the Police but they refused to obey.

He lamented that instead of complying to the court judgment of December 2019, Edward Dimisara was charged to court on 7 count charge before Honourable Justice E.N. Ogbuji in suit No. PHC/287/CR/2020 but IRT has neither produced him in court nor released him in accordance with the earlier court order.

Against the foregoing, he told the panel that it seems the victim had been killed extra judicially and disposed of.

Meanwhile, four other cases were adjourned to later dates. For instance the case of extra judicial killing of a corps member, Linda Igwetu by the Police was adjourned to December 2, 2020 for the 1st respondent, Inspector Benjamin Peters to be produced before the panel.

Similarly, a complaint of abuse of office and arbitrary arrest of Engr. Nicholas Ogbedo Azuka was adjourned to November 30,2020 because the Police legal team pleaded for more time to study the case file and make necessary arrangements to bring the respondents to the panel.

In the same vein, a complaint of alleged abuse of office and intimidation also by Engr. Nicholas Ogbedo Azuka was ajourned to 2nd December, 2020 to give more time to the Police towards ensuring the appearance of the respondents as ordered by the panel.

Earlier, a team of Counsel to the National Human Rights Commission led by Chino Obiagwu (SAN) told the panel that the Police were properly served with the processes and proceedings of the honourable panel and therefore should be ready for the cases.

Lastly, CP legal and lead counsel to the Police promised to bring all the police respondents to the panel to ensure that justice is served to all the parties concerned.

News

Breaking:Ramadan Cresecent Sighted In Saudi Arabia

Published

on

— The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted in Saudi Arabia, confirming that the holy month will begin on Wednesday.

The announcement followed reports from authorized moon sighting committees across the Kingdom, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

With the confirmation, Muslims across Saudi Arabia will begin fasting at dawn on Wednesday, observing the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar with prayers, reflection and charitable acts.

Advert

Ramadan is a period of spiritual devotion marked by daily fasting from dawn to sunset, increased worship, and community gatherings.

Mosques across the Kingdom are preparing to receive worshippers for Taraweeh prayers, while authorities have finalized arrangements to ensure smooth services during the holy month.

Government entities and private institutions are also set to implement adjusted working hours in line with Ramadan schedules.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Drama in Reps as Lawmakers Reverse on Electronic Results, Opposition Walks Out

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The House of Representatives on Tuesday rescinded its earlier decision on Clause 60(3) of the Electoral Act amendment bill, adopting instead the version earlier passed by the Senate, which allows both electronic and manual transmission of election results.

The decision followed an emergency sitting and sparked protest from opposition lawmakers, who staged a walkout from the chamber while chanting, “APC, ole! APC, ole!” in open dissent.

The House had initially approved a stricter provision mandating compulsory electronic transmission of results from each polling unit to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Result Viewing (IREV) portal.

Advert

The earlier version stipulated that: “The Presiding Officer shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the IREV portal and such transmission shall be done after the prescribed Form EC8A has been signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and/or countersigned by the candidates or polling agents where available at the polling unit.”

However, at Tuesday’s sitting, lawmakers reconsidered the clause and aligned with the Senate’s version, which introduces a caveat in the event of technical failure.

Under the adopted provision, while electronic transmission remains mandatory, it provides that where such transmission fails due to communication challenges, making it impossible to upload results electronically, the manually completed Form EC8A—duly signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and countersigned by candidates or polling agents where available—shall remain the primary basis for collation and declaration of results.

The reversal has heightened political tension within the chamber, with opposition members expressing concern that the amendment could weaken safeguards around electronic transmission of election results.

Continue Reading

News

Health Ministry Enforces Federal Directive, Retires Directors with Eight Years’ Service

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Federal Ministry of Health has ordered an immediate disengagement of Directors who have spent at least eight years in the directorate cadre with immediate effect.

The directors affected include those in the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, among others, according to a memo sighted by our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday morning.

The Federal Government had, on Monday, directed all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies to enforce the eight-year tenure limit for directors and permanent secretaries, following a new deadline set through the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.

The memo announcing the enforcement of the order at the FMOH signed by the Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Health, Tetshoma Dafeta, reads, “Further to the Eight (8)-Year Tenure Policy of the Federal Public Service, which mandates the compulsory retirement of Directors after eight years in that rank, as provided in the Revised Public Service Rules 2021(PSR 020909) copy attached, I am directed to remind you to take necessary action to ensure that all affected officers who have spent eight years as Directors, effective 31st December, 2025, are disengaged from Service immediately.

Advert

“Accordingly, all Heads of Agencies and Parastatals are by this circular, to ensure that the affected staff hand over all official documents/possessions with immediate effect, their salaries are stopped by the IPPIS Unit and mandate the officers to refund to the treasury all emoluments paid after their effective date of disengagement.

“This is reiterated in a circular recently issued by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Ref. No. HSCF/3065/Vol.I/225, dated 10″ February 2026. A copy is herewith attached for guidance, please.

“In addition, you are to forward the nominal roll of all directorate officers
(CONMESS 07/CONHESS 15/CONRAISS 15)

“Failure to adhere to paragraph 2 above shall be met with stiff sanctions.”

Recall that in July 2023, the former Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Folasade Yemi-Esan, announced the commencement of the revised Public Service Rules.

Speaking at a lecture at the State House, Abuja, to mark the 2023 Civil Service Week, Yemi-Esan stated that the revised PSR took effect from July 27, 2023.

The Head of Service issued a circular addressed to Permanent Secretaries, the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Auditor-General for the Federation, and heads of extra-ministerial departments, informing them of the revised rules.

“Following the approval of the revised Public Service Rules (PSR) by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on September 27, 2021, and its subsequent unveiling during the public service lecture in commemoration of the 2023 Civil Service Week, the PSR has become operational with effect from July 27, 2023,” the circular read.

According to Section 020909 of the revised PSR, the tenure limit for permanent secretaries is four years, with a possible renewal based only on satisfactory performance.

The rules also stipulate that a director (GL 17) or their equivalent shall compulsorily retire after eight years in that position.

Continue Reading

Trending