Connect with us

News

Crisis Rocks Enugu Chapter Of NMA

Published

on

 

Another crisis is brewing in Enugu State chapter of Nigerian Medical Association NMA, following an alleged report of fighting between doctors.

They were also said to have fought security personnel of the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, UNTH.

 

It was gathered that had forced over a hundred consultants in Enugu West Zone of NMA, Enugu State to signed for their withdrawal of membership of the association.

They were said to have described the recent events of rascality of junior doctors over who controls the leadership of the body at the various levels while the national leadership paid deaf ear as unacceptable.

247ureports.com learnt that incident happened during the election of the new leadership of the Enugu West NMA held on January 11, 2021, at UNTH.

Trouble was said to have started when doctors loyal to the outgoing Chairman of Enugu West NMA, Dr Aloy Ifedinso Ugwuoke and Secretary of NMA in the state wanted to install his treasurer, Dr Uzoigwe Jide as a successor against Dr Ekwueme Peter who was said to have the blessing of the state chairman, JOT Onyia.

EXPOSED :SWAN  2021  Membership Registration Under Threat As Official Website Disappears

It was gathered that the duo, Drs Onyia and Ugwuoke, who were said to be friends and together when they were contesting the state Chairman and Secretary respectively, are now fighting over who controls the leadership in the zones for their future aspirations.

Our correspondent gathered that prior to the ill-fated election, the leadership of NMA in the state had advised the leadership of the zone to defer the election by one week to enable it resolve some constitutional issues raised against clearing of contestants for the election by some doctors internally.

Advert

Drs Nwachi George and Uloh Hillary had in a petitioned to the state leadership of NMA titled: “Gross violations of constitutional provisions in the screening and publishing of names of successful contestants for elective positions into NMA Enugu West,” dated January 8, 2021, alleged that Dr Uzoigwe was not qualified to contest for the chairmanship of the zone, and likewise contestants for other positions who were running unopposed.

A source told our correspondent that the outgoing zonal chairman, Ugwuoke, in deviance to the directives of the state, had gone to conduct the election, which now resulted in his supporters engaging supporters of the state chairman who tried to stop the election in a free for all fight.

“The incident now led to the destruction of the electoral materials. I hope you saw the video of the incident already in circulation on social media.”

Meanwhile, aggrieved consultants have lamented that they had been reduced to a mere spectators as a group hijacked the Association for primordial interest.

The source quoted one the consultant to have said, “Yesterday, numerous reports of extreme displeasure from consultants and elders of the profession reached a crescendo as to how unsatisfactory the affairs of NMA has been conducted of recent such that Consultants have been extremely disregarded, disrespected, discarded and reduced to mere spectators as a group hijacks the NMA for primordial interests outside the original aims and aspirations of NMA.

“Consequently, as a short term means to stem the apparent autophagy and decay; encourage dialogue and reform in our natural role as head and guardians of the medical profession, a move was initiated to halt the flow of funds from contributions which serve to fuel the acrimony in the organs of the NMA in Enugu.

“Hence the generation of the list of consultants desirous of stopping their monthly contributions to NMA as a means to restoring sanity and order as well as encouraging healthy reforms in the polity and getting the Association back on the right track.”

But when contacted, Dr Ugwuoke confirmed the crisis but noted that he would not speak on the matter until the internal mechanism to resolve it had been exhausted.

“The truth is that a lot of internal mechanism have not been exhausted for us to go to the press. I have been trying to exercise restraint because I double as the secretary of NMA Enugu and as at the time of conducting that election I was the chairman of the zone.

“So based on that dual responsibility any statement I am making depend on which ever garb I am wearing; and because of our recent experience in the past election.”

The State NMA Chairman, JOT Onyia, confirmed the crisis but said that it has been resolved.

“Actually, there was crisis but to God be the glory, I am handling it and it would soon be resolved.”

News

Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker, Alleges Corruption, Poor Leadership Under Ousted Predecessor

Published

on

 

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has said his predecessor, Blessing Agbebaku, was removed by lawmakers over alleged poor leadership and corruption.

Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I and is a third-term lawmaker, emerged as Speaker on Monday following Agbebaku’s resignation amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Advert

Addressing journalists after Monday’s plenary, Idiaye accused Agbebaku of poor leadership, alleging that his tenure was characterised by corruption and prolonged adjournments.

He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”

Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”

Idiaye’s emergence was also said to have followed the Assembly’s zoning arrangement, which provides that when the governor is from Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Continue Reading

News

Kano Government Reports ₦996bn Project Portfolio, 867 Completed Across 44 LGAs

Published

on

 

The Kano State Government says it has committed nearly ₦1 trillion to development projects across the state, with more than half of its 1,557 clearly classified projects already completed.

The figures were contained in an international press briefing, by Comrade Nura Maaji Sumaila, Commissioner for Public Procurement, Projects Monitoring and Evaluation. The briefing provided an update on project implementation, geographical distribution, procurement compliance and financial performance under the administration of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf.

According to the ministry’s project database, the cumulative contract value stands at ₦996.29 billion, while ₦695.20 billion has received No Objection Certificate (NOC) approval and ₦444.75 billion represents payment certificates vetted by the ministry.

Of the 1,557 projects classified by the ministry, 867 projects, representing 55.68 per cent, have been completed. Another 654 projects, or 42 per cent, are ongoing, while 26 projects are at the award stage and 10 are planned and ready for award.

The ministry said some high-value projects are still awaiting the establishment of relevant due-process procedures. They include an approximately ₦113.19 billion mass-housing project at Dawakin Kudu and a ₦22 billion Rural Model City housing project covering the state’s 36 rural local government areas.

According to Maaji the geographical spread of the projects, stressing that government investment is not concentrated in Kano metropolis.

For its analysis, the ministry classified projects into single-LGA, cross-cutting and statewide/other interventions to avoid double-counting projects that serve several local government areas.

The eight metropolitan LGAs account for 598 projects valued at ₦299.36 billion, representing 30.01 per cent of the total contract value. The 36 rural LGAs account for 653 projects valued at ₦287.90 billion, or 28.90 per cent. Cross-cutting projects account for ₦159.50 billion, while statewide and other interventions represent ₦249.54 billion.

Advert

The government said the figures demonstrate substantial investment beyond the state capital, covering rural roads, healthcare facilities, schools, housing, feeder roads and other infrastructure.

 

According to the commissioner Cross-cutting projects account for approximately ₦159.50 billion, or 16.01 per cent of the cumulative contract value. The projects include solar-powered street lighting, wireless solar traffic lights, traffic-management systems, major road expansions, pedestrian bridges, metropolitan road corridors and inter-LGA roads and bridges.

Among the projects identified are the Dakata–Yadakunya Road, Airport Gate–Triumph–Murtala Muhammad corridor, Katsina Road expansion, Airport Junction–Ashton/Club Road corridor, Kura–Kubarachi–Madobi road and bridges, and the Janguza–Durum–Kabo–Karaye road.

The ministry said such projects should not be assessed solely according to the local government in which they are located because their benefits extend across administrative boundaries.

The briefing identified several high-value investments contributing significantly to the state’s overall project portfolio.

These include the approximately ₦113.19 billion mass-housing scheme at Rijiyar Gwangwan in Dawakin Kudu, the ₦24.77 billion Katsina Road expansion covering Fagge and Dala, and about ₦21.90 billion for the Modern Cities infrastructure programme across Dawakin Kudu, Dawakin Tofa and Kumbotso.

The ministry also identified approximately ₦27.74 billion for the Madobi–Yako–Kafin Maiyaki/Kiru Road intervention and about ₦22 billion for prototype mass-housing units under the Rural Model City Project covering all 36 rural LGAs.

 

Beyond project delivery, the ministry said its mandate includes ensuring that public procurement and implementation are subject to appropriate review, monitoring and financial controls.

The ₦996.294 billion cumulative contract sum represents 100 per cent of the portfolio. Of this amount, ₦695.196 billion, or 69.78 per cent, has received NOC approval, while ₦444.747 billion, equivalent to 44.64 per cent of the contract value, represents vetted payments. Vetted payments amount to approximately 63.97 per cent of the NOC-approved figure.

The ministry said the figures reflect the fact that the portfolio includes completed, ongoing, recently awarded and planned projects, making continued monitoring, certification, cash-flow planning and prioritisation necessary.

 

The government said it would continue monitoring ongoing projects, addressing implementation bottlenecks, strengthening certification processes and ensuring that public resources are deployed responsibly and with value for money.

It also reaffirmed commitments to transparency in procurement, monitoring projects from procurement through completion, linking payment certification to verified implementation, and providing objective information to citizens, development partners and the international community.

Nura Iro Maaji said the project portfolio demonstrates interventions across all 44 local government areas, covering urban and rural infrastructure, mass housing, roads, bridges, healthcare, education, climate-resilient infrastructure and traffic management.

 

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

Trending