News
Tinubu, Wife Vote in Lagos as APC Presidential Primary Kicks off
News
Over 1.5 million Pilgrims Converge at the Sacred Saudi Masjid for Hajj Surpassing 2025 Record
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
Over 1.5 million pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia from outside the kingdom for the upcoming hajj, according to a Saudi official, exceeding the number of international visitors last year despite the war in the Middle East.
The conflict triggered by the US and Israeli strikes on Iran in late February saw Tehran order waves of strikes on targets in Saudi Arabia and across the Gulf, prompting widespread air traffic disruptions and causing travel costs to surge.
Major Gulf airlines in the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain have worked to quickly restore much of their operational capacity after weeks of airspace closures and flight cancellations.
Despite the complications, pilgrims have continued to flock to Saudi Arabia to participate in this year’s hajj.
“The total number of pilgrims arriving from abroad has reached 1,518,153,” Saleh Al-Murabba, the commander of Saudi Arabia’s Hajj Passport Forces, told a press conference late Friday.
These figures are expected to rise further over the next two days as pilgrims continue to arrive from abroad ahead of the formal rituals that mark the beginning of the hajj on Monday.
Last year, the total number of pilgrims at the hajj reached 1,673,320, including 1,506,576 from outside Saudi Arabia.
The hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, must be performed at least once by all Muslims with the means.
News
One Kano Agenda Applauds Formation of Retired Security, Civil Service Forum to Strengthen Peace in Kano
The advocacy group, , has commended the establishment of the Forum of Retired Security Personnel and Senior Civil Servants in Kano State, describing the initiative as a timely and strategic intervention aimed at supporting existing security agencies in protecting lives and property acrosshlhl the state.
In a statement jointly signed by the Director General of One Kano Agenda, , and the Secretary-General, , the group said the emergence of the forum comes at a critical period when community-based approaches, intelligence sharing, and collective responsibility have become increasingly necessary in addressing security challenges.
According to the statement, the forum — which comprises retired military officers, police personnel, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), paramilitary officials, and experienced civil servants — is expected to significantly strengthen Kano’s security architecture through the wealth of expertise and institutional knowledge possessed by its members.
“One Kano Agenda believes that the coming together of highly experienced retired security officers and senior civil servants represents a major boost to the security framework of Kano State,” the statement read.
The group noted that the retired officers and public servants possess decades of operational experience, strategic understanding, and grassroots connections that could complement the efforts of conventional security agencies and contribute meaningfully to maintaining peace and stability in the state.
Describing Kano as the commercial and cultural heartbeat of Northern Nigeria, the organization emphasized that preserving peace in the state is vital not only for residents but also for the broader economic and social stability of the region.
The statement further praised members of the newly established forum for voluntarily offering their services and expertise toward strengthening security coordination and promoting community engagement.
“This decision by distinguished elders and patriots to contribute toward safeguarding Kano is highly commendable and reflects a deep sense of patriotism and commitment to public service,” the group added.
While applauding the initiative, One Kano Agenda also outlined several recommendations aimed at ensuring the effectiveness and sustainability of the forum’s operations.
Among the recommendations was the need for the forum to prioritize grassroots sensitization and community engagement in order to build public trust and encourage citizens to actively participate in security matters.
The group also advised the forum to collaborate closely with traditional institutions, religious leaders, youth groups, civil society organizations, and community associations in developing practical and sustainable local security solutions.
In addition, One Kano Agenda stressed the importance of maintaining a professional and non-partisan operational structure focused solely on the collective interest of Kano State and its people.
The organization further recommended periodic security dialogues and stakeholder consultations to identify emerging threats and provide practical policy recommendations to relevant government authorities.
Recognizing the growing concern over youth involvement in crime and social unrest, the group urged the forum to pay special attention to youth empowerment, mentorship, and deradicalization programmes aimed at addressing the root causes of insecurity.
It also emphasized that all collaborations with security agencies must remain within the framework of the law, respect human rights, and uphold civil liberties.
Reaffirming its commitment to peace and development, One Kano Agenda reiterated its support for all genuine efforts geared toward protecting the lives, dignity, and prosperity of the people of Kano State.
The organization called on community leaders, stakeholders, and residents to support the initiative in the collective interest of peace, stability, and sustainable development.
“Kano belongs to all of us, and securing it is a shared responsibility,” the statement concluded.
News
Nigeria, Italy Partner on $5bn Global Education Financing Campaign
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
Nigeria and Italy have agreed to establish a working group to implement a Global Partnership for Education financing campaign aimed at mobilising $5bn for education globally.
The initiative, tagged the “Multiply Possibility Campaign,” is expected to support learning for about 750 million children ahead of the Global Education Summit scheduled to hold in Rome in September 2026.
This was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa.
According to the statement, the campaign is also expected to unlock an additional $10bn in domestic education financing by 2030.
Odumegwu-Ojukwu said education remained a priority under President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, noting that the summit was important in view of Nigeria’s growing youth population.
She added that the partnership would help create opportunities for young people and address migration concerns through cooperation between both countries.
“We are interested in what we can do to keep our youth within our shores in productive ways,” she said.
Earlier, Mengoni said discussions focused on preparations for the summit as well as cooperation in tourism, economic development and defence.
-
Opinion4 years agoOn The Kano Flyovers And Public Perception
-
Features5 years agoHow I Became A Multimillionaire In Nigeria – Hadiza Gabon
-
Opinion5 years agoKano As future Headquarters Of Poverty In Nigeria
-
History5 years agoSheikh Adam Abdullahi Al-Ilory (1917-1992):Nigeria’s Islamic Scholar Who Wrote Over 100 Books And Journals
-
Opinion4 years agoMy First Encounter with Nasiru Gawuna, the Humble Deputy Governor
-
History4 years agoThe History Of Borno State Governor Professor Babagana Umara Zulum
-
History5 years agoThe Origin Of “Mammy Market” In Army Barracks (Mammy Ochefu)
-
News4 years agoFederal University Of Technology Babura To Commence Academic Activities September