Connect with us

News

Nigerian Army retires 15 Artillery  Generals

Published

on

The Nigerian Army on Saturday pulled out 15 Generals of the Artillery Corps who retired from active military service.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that out of the 15 retired artillery officers pulled out of active service at the Nigerian Army School of Artillery (NASA), in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, 11 were of the rank of Maj.-Gen. and four of Brig-Gen.

The Reviewing Officer leading the pack  was retired Maj.-Gen. James Myam, who spoke on behalf of the retirees .

Myam said , “Having come this far, we can only say that we feel highly fulfilled and give all the glory to the Lord God Almighty for his benevolent mercies, grace and preservation over the years.

“I would  like to express our profound gratitude to President Bola  Tinubu, for giving us the opportunity to serve our great nation in this capacity.

“We also thank the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Taoreed  Lagbaja, we pray fervently, for the Almighty God to continue to grant you the strength and wisdom to lead the Nigerian Army to greater heights.

On  behalf of the retired senior officers of the Nigerian Army Corps of Artillery being shelled out on this remarkable occasion of our final disengagement from active service in the Nigerian Army and indeed the Armed Forces of our great nation, Nigeria.

Advert

“Today is indeed a unique landmark for us as we retire to a well-deserved rest after serving our dear country meritoriously.”

Myan recalled that their military careers started when they left their various places of abode across the nation and reported for training as Officer Cadets at the prestigious Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna. “

He offered words of wisdom to serving officers, emphasizing loyalty, vigilance, and security consciousness.

Myan also shared three traits that guided him as an Artillery officer: ”Empathy, proactiveness, and effective communication.

“To those of you who are determined to make the military a career, please note that our country is enjoying full-fledged democratic governance and the era of military involvement in politics has gone and gone for good.”

Myam  urged them  to be loyal to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the democratically-elected Federal Government of Nigeria.

He said  it was apparent that the government has been on top of itself, doing all it can to provide the necessary requirements for the Armed Forces to perform its constitutional roles.

We must therefore understand that the demands of the Armed Forces form a very small sector amidst other competing demands in our nation that require government attention.

“We must also understand that the government usually prioritises allocation of resources based on competing needs of the various sectors, “Myam said.

He said this understanding should elicit your support to government activities at all times.

Myan urged, “You must continue to demonstrate total commitment to your duties to the nation just as you have exemplified in the successes so far recorded in the fight against armed and criminal non-state actors across the country.”

He appreciated the support of their spouses, families, and friends, as well as instructors and mentors.

Myan expressed their gratitude to the Nigerian Army and the Corps of Artillery, encouraging the “Gunners Family” to continue striving for excellence.

NAN also reports that the former Chief of Army Staff,  retired Maj.-Gen. Alwali Kazir, other senior retired and serving military officers were present at  the ceremony.

NAN

News

Information Commissioner Meets Civil Society Groups on Governance, Development in Kano

Published

on

Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya addressing the Press after the meeting

 

The Kano State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, on Thursday convened a strategic meeting with civil society organisations to discuss issues affecting the state and strengthen collaboration with the government.

During the engagement, the commissioner briefed participants on the ongoing initiatives of the administration of Abba Kabir Yusuf, noting that civil society groups play a critical role in governance and policy development.

Waiya reiterated the government’s commitment to inclusive governance, stressing that civil society actors remain key partners in promoting sustainable development across Kano.

Advert

He described civil society organisations as an important constituency, emphasizing the need to deepen partnerships, sustain open communication, and build stronger cooperation between government institutions and non-state actors.

Participants at the meeting described the session as interactive and forward-looking, as stakeholders exchanged ideas on policy priorities and strategies aimed at advancing development in the state.

The meeting ended with a renewed commitment by both the government and civil society groups to continue working together in promoting transparency, accountability, and development initiatives in Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

ADC Raises Alarm Over Alleged Plot to Arrest Chibuike Amaechi

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State chapter of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised serious concerns over an alleged plot by the government to arrest a prominent leader of the party and former Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.

The party’s State Publicity Secretary, Chief Luckyman Egila, made the allegation during an interview with LEADERSHIP in Port Harcourt on Friday. He claimed that the ADC, positioning itself as a leading opposition force, has become a primary target of the administration.

Responding to questions about widespread speculation regarding Mr. Amaechi’s potential arrest, Egila stated that such rumours are credible within the nation’s current political context.

Advert

“While it may be termed a rumour, we are in a political arena where such possibilities cannot be dismissed,” Egila said. He drew a parallel to a recent incident involving a key opposition figure, adding, “We must recall that Nasir El-Rufai was recently detained by the Department of State Services (DSS). It appears they are systematically targeting anyone perceived as opposition.”

Egila elaborated on the ADC’s self-perceived role in the national political landscape, suggesting that its growing influence is the motive behind the alleged plot.

“As things stand in Nigeria today, the African Democratic Congress is emerging as the main opposition political party capable of challenging the ruling party. We cannot simply write this off as a baseless rumour; there is a deliberate scheme to incapacitate anyone with the capacity to oppose or defeat them in an election.”

Despite the serious allegations, Egila was careful to reaffirm the party’s commitment to lawful conduct. He noted that while the party has received intelligence regarding the purported plan, the specifics of the operation—whether it would be a public arrest or a covert action—remain unclear.

“The African Democratic Congress is a law-abiding political party,” Egila stated. “We are aware of the intelligence suggesting this move, but we do not know if they intend to apprehend him publicly or through other means.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: El-Rufai to be Arraigned February 25 for Cybercrime, Security Breach

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The State Security Service, SSS, will on Feb 25, arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, FHC, fixed the date after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho, assigned the case to her.

The DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Ngpfvuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act, (2024), and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In count on, El Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did admit during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

Advert

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did state during the interview that he knew and related with certain individual, who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27 (b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety, national security and instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting NSA’s phone communications.
.
The act, which the DSS said, the ex-governor admitted during an interview on Feb. 13th on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja “and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

Recalls that El-Rufai had, during a live interview on the TV station, claimed he overheard Mr Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him, linking the alleged directive to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Feb. 12y after his return from Cairo, Egypt.

The former governor was detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday over corruption allegations.

He was granted administrative bail at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday but was said to have been immediately taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The ICPC’s Spokesperson, John Odey, who confirmed the development in a message shared on a journalist’s Whatsapp group Wednesday night, simply said: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”

Continue Reading

Trending