Connect with us

News

2023:Hafizu Kawu Gets Donation From Stakeholders To Purchase Re-election Forms

Published

on

Hafizu Kawu

 

The incumbent member representing Tarauni federal constituency, Hafizu Ibrahim Kawu has expressed joy over the presentation of over N20 million for the purchase of nomination and expression of interest forms by stakeholders and other support groups.

The Support Groups are made up of stakeholders that include artisans , students, beneficiaries of the lawmaker’s job offers, APC executives , top government functionaries, two serving local government Chairmen and a Minister.

The lawmaker promised not to let them down but to continue with his empowerment programs that have brought relief to the people.

Speaking on behalf of the stakeholders, SSA to Kano State Governor, Political , Office of the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Mustapha Mai Hula said the support was necessary so that Hafizu Kawu can continue with his unprecedented developmental strides in the federal constituency.

Advert

“We know that he has the money to buy these forms, but we won’t allow him to buy them for himself. We raised the money by making contributions of N10,000, N1000 and even lesser amounts. ‘’

Mai Hula also said that Hafiz Kawu has transformed the landscape and lives of many people not just in his federal constituency, but across Kano Metropolitan.

“He has changed the terrain of his constituency at large. People now call him the architect of modern Tarauni because of his undeniable performance “, added Mai Hula.

The lawmaker, who would be contesting for a second term, assured that he would do more if he returns to the House by facilitating massive infrastructural and human capital development as well as continuing to improve on what has so far been achieved.

Kawu said, “I feel elated and surprised. It is basically appreciation for what God has used us to do over the past three years and I am grateful to them for the confidence.

“My target is to continue to facilitate massive infrastructural development, human capital development and to continue to improve on what we have done and been doing in the past couple of years that have warranted our constituents to have the confidence of being able to raise this sort of money to support us just to continue and to make sure we do better.”

News

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Guber Election

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun State governorship election, defeating his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Adeleke, the Accord Party candidate, was announced winner by the state returning officer in the early hours of Sunday after a fiercely contested poll across the state’s 30 local government areas.

Mr Oyebamiji, the state’s former finance commissioner, came second, while the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, emerged as the second runner-up.

Advert

A total of 15 political parties contested the election, with 1,906,390 permanent voter cards collected, according to the electoral umpire.

Mr Adeleke, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won his first election in 2022, had touted his achievements in the state’s economy, infrastructure, pension payments, the health sector, and digital transformation.

INEC announced on Sunday that Mr Adeleke won in local councils, including Oriade, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife Central, Ilesha-West, Ife-North, Ede South, Ifedayo, Boluwaduro, Iwo and Ifelodun.

Mr Oyebamiji won in Ilesha South, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, and Atakumosa West.

“Osun is no longer offline. Osun is awake—digitally and economically,” the governor said while highlighting his achievements recently. “We pay what is owed. We respect those who served. This is not politics. This is performance. This is leadership with results. Osun is rising—and we are not turning back.”

Before the election, he repeatedly alleged attempts to disrupt it. He had also vowed to constitute an independent commission of inquiry after Saturday’s governorship election to investigate all reported killings and acts of violence connected with the electioneering.

Continue Reading

News

Civilian Sponsors Were Indispensable to Every Successful Coup in Nigeria, Says Babangida

Published

on

General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (retd.), has asserted that every successful military coup in Nigeria’s history has depended on active support or sponsorship from civilians, challenging the long-held narrative that the country’s political upheavals were purely soldier-led affairs.

In an interview with Badeggi 90.1 FM in Minna, aired ahead of his 85th birthday on Monday, the former president stated that wealthy civilians have historically played instrumental roles in funding and facilitating military takeovers.

“No successful coup in Nigeria’s history had occurred without civilian involvement,” Babangida declared, according to a transcript of the interview cited by THISDAY.

The former leader used the occasion to offer a rare, personal reflection on the 1985 coup plot against his administration, which led to the trial and execution of his close friend and cabinet colleague, Major-General Mamman Vatsa, then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

Advert

Babangida recounted that he initially struggled to believe intelligence reports linking Vatsa to the conspiracy, given their decades-long friendship. The two had grown up together, attended Bida Middle School, and enlisted in the military in the same year.

He said he summoned both Vatsa and General Mohammed Gado Nasko to his office after a senior officer implicated them. “When they arrived, I asked them about the reports that they had been mentioned in a plot to topple my government. Both of them denied any involvement,” Babangida recalled.

A military commission of inquiry was subsequently established. While Nasko was cleared, the panel found evidence against Vatsa. Babangida described himself as “shocked, devastated and deeply disappointed” by the findings but insisted that military law left him no room for clemency.

“There was nothing I could do to exonerate him from the consequences prescribed by military law. My hands were tied. That was how I lost my brother, General Mamman Vatsa,” he said. Vatsa was executed by firing squad in March 1986.

Turning to contemporary issues, Babangida urged Nigerians to remain patient and supportive of President Bola Tinubu’s administration amid ongoing economic hardships and security crises.

He expressed confidence that the government’s current policies would eventually yield positive results, calling for national hope and resilience during the challenging transition.

Continue Reading

News

Residents of Lokon Kango in Mandawari Area, Kano, Seek Government Intervention Over Poor Drainage

Published

on

 

Residents of Lokon Kango in the Mandawari area of Kano metropolis have called on the government to intervene over the deplorable state of drainage channels in their community, which they say has led to the collapse of two houses.

Mallam Anas Tanga, one of the coordinators of community sanitation efforts in the area, said residents have been doing their best to clear the drains, but their efforts are not enough.

“We are doing our best, alongside other youths. For years, we have been involved in clearing these drains,” he said. “But the extent of the damage is such that even after we do the work, it doesn’t take long before the problem returns.”

On his part, a community elder, Mallam Abubakar, told our reporter how the poor drainage system contributed to the collapse of at least two houses.

Advert

“These houses you see here collapsed as a result of the lack of proper drainage,” he said. “Anytime there is heavy rain, especially at night, we live in fear.”

He appealed to relevant stakeholders to come to their aid.

Malama Ladidi, one of the residents whose home is flooded during the rainy season, also lamented her situation.

“The rainy season is terrible for us and our children,” she said. “We go through a lot of hardship. We don’t even sleep until we have drained the water that enters our rooms. This is a big problem. The youths are trying their best, but the government must step in.”

Finally, one of the youths in the community spoke about the role they played during elections, only to be neglected afterwards.

“All our neighboring areas have had this work done, except us. We are really suffering,” he said. “We helped bring this government to power. We contributed, but now we are not benefiting from anything.”

The residents said they had earlier reported the problem to authorities, particularly the Gwale Local Government, but nothing had been done.

In an effort to get the government’s side of the story, we visited the office of the Gwale Local Government Chairman, Hon. Abubakar Mu’azu Mojo. However, he was not available.

We also tried to reach him by phone and text message, but as of the time of filing this report, we had not received any response from him.

Continue Reading

Trending