Connect with us

News

WAEC CBT Exam Must Not Hold Yet–National Assembly

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The House of Representatives has ordered the Federal Ministry of Education and the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) to immediately suspend the planned introduction of Computer-Based Testing (CBT) for the 2026 school examinations.

The federal lawmakers warned that the policy could lead to massive failure, depression, and even deaths among students.

The lawmakers’ decision followed the adoption of a motion of urgent public importance sponsored by Rep. Kelechi Wogu during Thursday’s plenary, titled “Need for Intervention to Avert the Pending Massive Failure of Candidates Intending to Write the 2026 WAEC Examination Using Computer-Based Testing (CBT), Capable of Causing Depression and Deaths of Students.”

WAEC, with the backing of the Nigerian government, had earlier announced plans to conduct the 2026 May/June Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) using computers, after a partial rollout for private candidates in 2024.

Advert

But lawmakers have now described the move as “ill-timed and unrealistic”, citing Nigeria’s poor digital infrastructure and lack of computer literacy among millions of students, especially those in rural areas.

Rep. Wogu, who moved the motion, said most secondary schools across the country are “grossly unprepared” for such a transition. He warned that rushing into full CBT implementation could trigger chaos, frustration, and psychological trauma among candidates.

“Computer-based examinations require fully equipped halls with functional computers, internet access, and constant electricity — either from the national grid or standby generators,” he said.

“The House is worried that most schools, especially in rural communities where over 70 per cent of candidates reside, lack the basic facilities and trained personnel for such an exercise.”

Wogu recalled that the 2025 WAEC result portal recently crashed due to “technical glitches”, leaving many students and parents stranded — a situation he said highlights the risk of introducing an entirely digital exam system without adequate preparation.

He argued that WAEC examinations are more complex than JAMB’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), as candidates take at least nine subjects — including theory, objective, and practical components — making a rushed CBT switch impractical.

Following an extensive debate, the House directed the Federal Ministry of Education, state governments, and relevant agencies to make provisions in the 2026, 2027, 2028, and 2029 budgets for the recruitment of qualified computer teachers, construction of computer halls with reliable internet connectivity, installation of standby generators, and a nationwide assessment of schools’ readiness before the policy is fully implemented in 2030.

Lawmakers also warned WAEC to consult widely with education stakeholders and the Nigeria Union of Teachers before taking any action that could “jeopardise the academic future” of millions of Nigerian students.

News

One Kano Agenda Applauds Formation of Retired Security, Civil Service Forum to Strengthen Peace in Kano

Published

on

The advocacy group, , has commended the establishment of the Forum of Retired Security Personnel and Senior Civil Servants in Kano State, describing the initiative as a timely and strategic intervention aimed at supporting existing security agencies in protecting lives and property acrosshlhl the state.

In a statement jointly signed by the Director General of One Kano Agenda, , and the Secretary-General, , the group said the emergence of the forum comes at a critical period when community-based approaches, intelligence sharing, and collective responsibility have become increasingly necessary in addressing security challenges.

According to the statement, the forum — which comprises retired military officers, police personnel, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), paramilitary officials, and experienced civil servants — is expected to significantly strengthen Kano’s security architecture through the wealth of expertise and institutional knowledge possessed by its members.

“One Kano Agenda believes that the coming together of highly experienced retired security officers and senior civil servants represents a major boost to the security framework of Kano State,” the statement read.

The group noted that the retired officers and public servants possess decades of operational experience, strategic understanding, and grassroots connections that could complement the efforts of conventional security agencies and contribute meaningfully to maintaining peace and stability in the state.

Describing Kano as the commercial and cultural heartbeat of Northern Nigeria, the organization emphasized that preserving peace in the state is vital not only for residents but also for the broader economic and social stability of the region.

Advert

The statement further praised members of the newly established forum for voluntarily offering their services and expertise toward strengthening security coordination and promoting community engagement.

“This decision by distinguished elders and patriots to contribute toward safeguarding Kano is highly commendable and reflects a deep sense of patriotism and commitment to public service,” the group added.

While applauding the initiative, One Kano Agenda also outlined several recommendations aimed at ensuring the effectiveness and sustainability of the forum’s operations.

Among the recommendations was the need for the forum to prioritize grassroots sensitization and community engagement in order to build public trust and encourage citizens to actively participate in security matters.

The group also advised the forum to collaborate closely with traditional institutions, religious leaders, youth groups, civil society organizations, and community associations in developing practical and sustainable local security solutions.

In addition, One Kano Agenda stressed the importance of maintaining a professional and non-partisan operational structure focused solely on the collective interest of Kano State and its people.

The organization further recommended periodic security dialogues and stakeholder consultations to identify emerging threats and provide practical policy recommendations to relevant government authorities.

Recognizing the growing concern over youth involvement in crime and social unrest, the group urged the forum to pay special attention to youth empowerment, mentorship, and deradicalization programmes aimed at addressing the root causes of insecurity.

It also emphasized that all collaborations with security agencies must remain within the framework of the law, respect human rights, and uphold civil liberties.

Reaffirming its commitment to peace and development, One Kano Agenda reiterated its support for all genuine efforts geared toward protecting the lives, dignity, and prosperity of the people of Kano State.

The organization called on community leaders, stakeholders, and residents to support the initiative in the collective interest of peace, stability, and sustainable development.

“Kano belongs to all of us, and securing it is a shared responsibility,” the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria, Italy Partner on $5bn Global Education Financing Campaign

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Nigeria and Italy have agreed to establish a working group to implement a Global Partnership for Education financing campaign aimed at mobilising $5bn for education globally.

The initiative, tagged the “Multiply Possibility Campaign,” is expected to support learning for about 750 million children ahead of the Global Education Summit scheduled to hold in Rome in September 2026.

This was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa.

Advert

According to the statement, the campaign is also expected to unlock an additional $10bn in domestic education financing by 2030.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said education remained a priority under President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, noting that the summit was important in view of Nigeria’s growing youth population.

She added that the partnership would help create opportunities for young people and address migration concerns through cooperation between both countries.

“We are interested in what we can do to keep our youth within our shores in productive ways,” she said.

Earlier, Mengoni said discussions focused on preparations for the summit as well as cooperation in tourism, economic development and defence.

Continue Reading

News

Hamzat Emerges First Lagos Deputy Governor to Secure Governorship Ticket

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat on Thursday emerged winner of the All Progressives Congress’ governorship primary in Lagos.

Announcing the results at the collation centre situated at the APC secretariat, Ikeja, the returning officer, Jonathan Temlong, said that Mr Hamzat polled 657, 917 votes to defeat his rival, Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal, who got a vote.

He said that total accredited voters for the primary was 657, 974. According to the returning officer, the primary was conducted across the state’s 245 wards in the 20 LGAs peacefully because the exercise was a family affairs.

Advert

Mr Temlong said that the election was peaceful, transparent and conducted in compliance with the party’s guidelines across the state.

Mr Hamzat polled 16,257 (Agege); 31,079 (Ajeromi-Ifelodun); 74,501 (Alimosho); 20,818 (Amuwo-Odofin), 5,430 (Apapa), 24,631 (Badagry), 37,680 (Epe), 28,754 (Eti-Osa), 33,861 (Ibeju-Lekki), 38,627 (Ifako-Ijaiye), 21,588 (Ikeja), 55,148 (Ikorodu), 51,600 (Kosofe), 27,348 (L/Island), 49, 079 (L/Mainland) and 38,971 (Mushin).

Mr Hamzat scored 36,372 (Ojo), 31,972 (Oshodi-Isolo), 16,706 (Somolu) and 17,495 (Surulere).

Declaring the winner, Mr Temlong said, “Having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines, and having scored the highest number of valid votes cast, Dr Kadri Obafemi Hamzat is hereby declared the winner.”

APC chair in Lagos, Cornelius Ojelabi, commended the national electoral committee and local organising committee for carrying out due diligence, while also applauding party members for their orderly conduct and commitment to democratic principles during the exercise.

Mr Ojelabi said the successful conduct of the primary reflected the unity and strength of the APC in Lagos ahead of the 2027 elections. He said that the Saturday’s presidential primary would also be a direct primaries holding across the 245 wards in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending