Connect with us

News

Lieutenant Yerima Will Not Face Any Sanction–Matawalle

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

 

Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, has assured that Lieutenant Ahmad Yerima, the naval officer who engaged in a heated exchange with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, will not face any disciplinary action.

Matawalle gave the assurance while speaking in an interview with DCL Hausa following public speculations about possible sanctions against the officer after a video of his confrontation with Wike went viral on social media.

In the video, recorded during Wike’s visit to a disputed plot of land in Gaduwa District, Abuja, the FCT minister was seen in a tense verbal exchange with the young naval officer, who stood his ground respectfully during the encounter.

Advert

The FCT minister was at Plot 1946 on Monday where he accused soldiers of preventing officials from the FCT Department of Development Control from enforcing a stop-work order.

The land is allegedly linked to a former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Zubairu Gambo (rtd). However, the soldiers stationed at the site blocked the minister’s entry prompting the confrontation. Wike later claimed that the developers lacked valid documents or legal approval for the construction on the site.

Reacting to the incident, Matawalle said the matter should have been handled through proper channels rather than through a public altercation.

“The minister should not have confronted him. Lieutenant Yerima was acting on orders. If Wike had any concerns, he should have spoken to his superiors or to me directly since I oversee naval affairs,” Matawalle said.

He commended Yerima’s composure during the confrontation, describing his conduct as disciplined and professional.

“You can clearly see that he was respectful while standing his ground. As far as we are concerned, he did not break any law or military regulation,” the minister added.

Matawalle also disclosed that the Chief of Naval Staff has commenced an investigation into the disputed land, while clarifying that no formal complaint has yet been received from the FCT Minister.

“This whole situation was avoidable. Before the minister went there, he had already spoken with the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Naval Staff, who assured him that the matter would be looked into,” Matawalle said.

News

Over 1.5 million Pilgrims Converge at the Sacred Saudi Masjid for Hajj Surpassing 2025 Record

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Over 1.5 million pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia from outside the kingdom for the upcoming hajj, according to a Saudi official, exceeding the number of international visitors last year despite the war in the Middle East.

The conflict triggered by the US and Israeli strikes on Iran in late February saw Tehran order waves of strikes on targets in Saudi Arabia and across the Gulf, prompting widespread air traffic disruptions and causing travel costs to surge.

Major Gulf airlines in the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain have worked to quickly restore much of their operational capacity after weeks of airspace closures and flight cancellations.

Advert

Despite the complications, pilgrims have continued to flock to Saudi Arabia to participate in this year’s hajj.

“The total number of pilgrims arriving from abroad has reached 1,518,153,” Saleh Al-Murabba, the commander of Saudi Arabia’s Hajj Passport Forces, told a press conference late Friday.

These figures are expected to rise further over the next two days as pilgrims continue to arrive from abroad ahead of the formal rituals that mark the beginning of the hajj on Monday.

Last year, the total number of pilgrims at the hajj reached 1,673,320, including 1,506,576 from outside Saudi Arabia.

The hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, must be performed at least once by all Muslims with the means.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu, Wife Vote in Lagos as APC Presidential Primary Kicks off

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

President Bola Tinubu and his wife, Oluremi, on Saturday participated in the All Progressives Congress presidential primary at Ward E, Ikoyi, Lagos, as the ruling party commenced its nationwide exercise ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The couple arrived at the venue in a motorcade and were received by a large crowd of party supporters, security personnel, and members of the press.

Video footage from the primary showed Tinubu and Oluremi navigating through dense crowds of APC members dressed in traditional attire as they moved through the venue.

The exercise is part of the party’s May 2026 ward-level primaries, through which the incumbent president is seeking re-nomination as the APC’s flagbearer for the 2027 presidential election.

Advert

Heavy press coverage accompanied the event, with cameras capturing the president’s movement through the crowd of supporters and party faithful who had turned out at the Ikoyi ward.

After voting, Tinubu described the exercise as a demonstration of internal democracy and expressed satisfaction with its conduct across the country.

“Demonstration of internal democracy, and it has been going very well according to plan. This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has the right to participate and be involved.

“My challenge is to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well organised,” he said in a video shared by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

Tinubu also praised APC governors for their roles in the electoral process across their respective states.

“Today, I am very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“From the world congresses, to local government congresses, to the delegation accreditation, validation, members register and certification of the electoral process. It has been going very well.

“At least, you will score democracy at a high level,” he stated.

Continue Reading

News

One Kano Agenda Applauds Formation of Retired Security, Civil Service Forum to Strengthen Peace in Kano

Published

on

The advocacy group, , has commended the establishment of the Forum of Retired Security Personnel and Senior Civil Servants in Kano State, describing the initiative as a timely and strategic intervention aimed at supporting existing security agencies in protecting lives and property acrosshlhl the state.

In a statement jointly signed by the Director General of One Kano Agenda, , and the Secretary-General, , the group said the emergence of the forum comes at a critical period when community-based approaches, intelligence sharing, and collective responsibility have become increasingly necessary in addressing security challenges.

According to the statement, the forum — which comprises retired military officers, police personnel, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), paramilitary officials, and experienced civil servants — is expected to significantly strengthen Kano’s security architecture through the wealth of expertise and institutional knowledge possessed by its members.

“One Kano Agenda believes that the coming together of highly experienced retired security officers and senior civil servants represents a major boost to the security framework of Kano State,” the statement read.

The group noted that the retired officers and public servants possess decades of operational experience, strategic understanding, and grassroots connections that could complement the efforts of conventional security agencies and contribute meaningfully to maintaining peace and stability in the state.

Describing Kano as the commercial and cultural heartbeat of Northern Nigeria, the organization emphasized that preserving peace in the state is vital not only for residents but also for the broader economic and social stability of the region.

Advert

The statement further praised members of the newly established forum for voluntarily offering their services and expertise toward strengthening security coordination and promoting community engagement.

“This decision by distinguished elders and patriots to contribute toward safeguarding Kano is highly commendable and reflects a deep sense of patriotism and commitment to public service,” the group added.

While applauding the initiative, One Kano Agenda also outlined several recommendations aimed at ensuring the effectiveness and sustainability of the forum’s operations.

Among the recommendations was the need for the forum to prioritize grassroots sensitization and community engagement in order to build public trust and encourage citizens to actively participate in security matters.

The group also advised the forum to collaborate closely with traditional institutions, religious leaders, youth groups, civil society organizations, and community associations in developing practical and sustainable local security solutions.

In addition, One Kano Agenda stressed the importance of maintaining a professional and non-partisan operational structure focused solely on the collective interest of Kano State and its people.

The organization further recommended periodic security dialogues and stakeholder consultations to identify emerging threats and provide practical policy recommendations to relevant government authorities.

Recognizing the growing concern over youth involvement in crime and social unrest, the group urged the forum to pay special attention to youth empowerment, mentorship, and deradicalization programmes aimed at addressing the root causes of insecurity.

It also emphasized that all collaborations with security agencies must remain within the framework of the law, respect human rights, and uphold civil liberties.

Reaffirming its commitment to peace and development, One Kano Agenda reiterated its support for all genuine efforts geared toward protecting the lives, dignity, and prosperity of the people of Kano State.

The organization called on community leaders, stakeholders, and residents to support the initiative in the collective interest of peace, stability, and sustainable development.

“Kano belongs to all of us, and securing it is a shared responsibility,” the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending