Connect with us

News

Kano market Inferno: Senator Barau visits traders, donates N200m worth of gadgets

Published

on

 

 

Deputy President of the Senate, Barau I Jibrin, visited Kano’s largest phone market (Farm Centre) on Sunday to sympathise with the traders over the fire outbreak that engulfed the centre on Friday.

Senator Barau, during the visit, announced the donation of N200m worth of gadgets to the traders to cushion the effects of the inferno.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ismail Mudashir, Senator Barau described the disaster as a test from Allah, emphasising that the market plays a significant role in engaging the youths in the state.

Advert

Amidst a mammoth crowd, he also donates one Hilux vehicle, five motorcycles, a pedestrian bridge, and 1,000 solar street lights to boost the market’s security.

“When the news of the fire outbreak reached me on Friday, I was shocked and promised to come here and sympathise with you. We are all proud of you and the market. Thousands of our youths are engaged here and earning a living.

” My office will donate N200 million worth of gadgets to the victims of this fire outbreak. We will discuss the type of gadgets you want with your leaders.

” Based on the request of your chairman to secure this market, I hereby donate 1,000 units of solar streetlights, a Hilux vehicle, and five motorcycles to the market for patrol, ” he said.

Earlier, the market chairman, Jamilu Bala Gama, thanked the Deputy President of the Senate for the visit and described him as a Senator who serves not only his senatorial district but the entire Kano State and the north.

“Your Excellency, you are a super Senator who works beyond his senatorial district. I have never seen a senator like you. You have done everything for us. May Allah SWT reward you,” he said.

 

News

Tinubu’s Peace Move Takes Effect as Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara’s Impeachment

Published

on

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State House of Assembly has halted its impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Professor Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s latest intervention in the state’s protracted political crisis.

The Assembly made the decision during Thursday’s plenary, TVC News reported.

The lawmakers had on January 8 initiated impeachment moves against the governor and his deputy, citing alleged gross misconduct . The notices of allegation were forwarded to the Chief Judge of Rivers State, Justice Simeon Chibuzor-Amadi, with a request to constitute a seven-man investigative panel as required by Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution .

However, the process was halted after a Rivers State High Court sitting in Oyigbo Local Government Area restrained the lawmakers and the Chief Judge from proceeding . Justice F. A. Fiberesima issued an interim injunction barring Speaker Martin Amaewhule, the Clerk of the House, and 31 other defendants from taking further steps toward impeachment .

Advert

The court specifically restrained the Chief Judge from receiving, forwarding, considering, or acting on any request or resolution aimed at constituting an investigative panel against Fubara and Odu . The matter was subsequently adjourned indefinitely after parties informed the court that appeals had been entered at the Court of Appeal .

Thursday’s decision by lawmakers to discontinue the impeachment process followed President Bola Tinubu’s fourth intervention in the oil-rich state’s political crisis .

Two weeks ago, Tinubu met with key political actors, including Governor Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike—now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory—at the Presidential Villa in Abuja . The closed-door meeting aimed to resolve the lingering power struggle that has polarised the state since Fubara’s assumption of office.

Following the meeting, Wike publicly acknowledged the President’s intervention and directed lawmakers to comply .

“I have told the assembly to do the needful and obey Mr. President, which I know they will not hesitate,” Wike said after inspecting projects in Abuja. “I also believe the governor will carry out his own part to make sure that this is the final time Rivers people will hear this kind of discord” .

The latest intervention marks a significant de-escalation in the crisis, which stems from the political feud between Fubara and his predecessor, Wike, over control of the state’s political structure . Observers note that Thursday’s development suggests both parties may have reached a new understanding following the presidential mediation.

Continue Reading

News

CDS Oluyede Honored with National Award in Sierra Leone

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, has been decorated with the Grand Commander of the Order of the Rokel, one of Sierra Leone’s highest national honours. The award was conferred during a grand ceremony marking the 17th Armed Forces Day of the Republic of Sierra Leone.

In a statement released on [Date, if available], the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, confirmed that the honour recognises General Oluyede’s pivotal role in securing peace in Sierra Leone during his service with the Economic Community of West African States Monitoring Group (ECOMOG).

The statement highlighted that the award serves as a profound appreciation not only for General Oluyede’s personal contributions but also for the sacrifices of all Nigerian officers and soldiers who fought to restore peace and stability to the nation during its civil war.

Advert

General Oluyede’s connection to Sierra Leone dates back to the early 1990s. Between 1992 and 1994, he was deployed as a Platoon Commander, tasked with securing the residence of the then-Head of State. During this period, he was lauded for his exemplary leadership, professionalism, and unwavering commitment to protecting the government in a time of intense turmoil.

Aside from Nigerian CDS, other distinguished personalities from Nigeria, Guinea, United Kingdom, United States and Kenya, among others, were equally awarded medals during the ceremony.

They included former Nigerian CDS, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rtd), Lt. Gen. Daniel Opande of Kenya (rtd), Lt. Gen. Ibrahima Sory Bangoura of Guinea, Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers of USA and
Brig. Gen. Edward Butler (rtd) of the UK.

The Armed Forces Day event also served as a solemn tribute to the courage and sacrifice of regional forces. Special recognition was reserved for the Nigerian Armed Forces, whose steadfast commitment under the ECOMOG banner was described as being at the forefront of regional peace enforcement.

The Nigerian contingent was particularly commended for its distinctive bravery, resilience, and dedication to the protection of civilians during Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, cementing the nation’s legacy as a cornerstone of peace and stability in the West African sub-region.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Kill Senior Boko Haram Commander, Arrest Drone Supplier in Zamfara Operation

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI, operating in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have killed a senior Boko Haram commander during a mission in the Madagali axis of Zamfara State.

Security sources confirmed that the neutralised terrorist, identified as Abdullahi Mafa, was a former hybrid commander of the insurgent group. He was killed in a targeted operation on Thursday following a fierce encounter with security forces along the Visik River corridor.

According to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the troops came into contact with suspected Boko Haram fighters while laying an ambush in the area, leading to a gun battle that resulted in Mafa’s death.

Advert

In a separate but related operation within the same Madagali Local Government Area, troops also arrested a suspected logistics and drone supplier linked to the terrorists. The suspect, Dauda Usman Gubula, was apprehended during a raid at the Madagali Motor Park.

Makama, citing official sources, revealed that security operatives recovered several items from the suspect, including two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks believed to be destined for terrorist use. Gubula is currently in custody as investigations continue.

The military has maintained sustained offensive operations across the region as part of ongoing efforts to dismantle Boko Haram cells and restore normalcy to affected communities.

Continue Reading

Trending