Connect with us

News

Badaru Presents Over 178 Billion Naira 2023 Budget For Jigawa

Published

on

Governor Badaru Abubakar Of Jigawa

 

Jigawa state Governor Muhammad Badaru Abubakar has presented the sum of  N178,576,000,000 before the state House of Assembly as an appropriation bill for the 2023 fiscal year.

The budget which is tagged “Budget of
Consolidation for Sustainable Socioeconomic Development – II” is slightly over the 2022 Original Budget by only about 0.4%.

However, taking into account the Supplementary Appropriations of N20.279 billion, the 2023 Proposed Budget is less than the total appropriations for 2022 by almost 10%.

Routine immunization: Dangote Foundation, KNSG, UNICEF, Billgate sign another MoU

Advert

The Recurrent to Capital Expenditure Ratio of the Proposed Budget is almost 50:50 which reflects fiscal objective to strike a balance between consumption and investment.

According to the Governor, “the sum of N56.54b allocated to Personnel Cost, N89.4 billion is earmarked for capital
investments which are about half of the total proposed budget”.

“Also, about N25.43 billion was allocated for Overheads and Other Recurrent Expenditures meant to take care of routine operations of Ministries, Departments, and Agencies and other major recurrent expenditure”

Governor Badaru explained that the proposed budget for Education and Health Sectors amounted to about N61.2 billion and N28.9 billion respectively.

” These correspond to about 34.3% and 16.2% of the total proposed estimates respectively and have surpassed the requisite benchmarks as recommended by UNESCO Education For All Initiatives and the African Union Abuja Health Declaration of 2001.

The Governor however commended the state Assembly for their efforts in achieving almost 80% 2022 budget performance.

He however urged the Assembly to consider speedy passage of the appropriation bill for the services of the state.

The speaker state House of Assembly Rt. Idris Garba Jahun assured quick scrutiny and passage of the budget before the end of December 2022.

News

ADC Leadership Crisis: Federal High Court Adjourns Case Indefinitely   

Published

on

 

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

 

Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has again adjourned indefinitely a suit filed by a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Nafiu Bala Gombe, following a request by the plaintiff seeking the transfer of the case to another judge.

 

Justice Nwite adjourned the matter sine die after parties clashed over a letter written by the plaintiff to the chief judge of the Federal High Court seeking the reassignment of the suit.

 

At Friday’s proceedings, counsel for the plaintiff, Luka Haruna, informed the court that the apex court had on April 30 delivered judgment in the interlocutory appeal.

 

Haruna said the Supreme Court dismissed the appeal for lack of merit and also set aside the Court of Appeal’s order staying proceedings in the substantive suit.

 

The lawyer, however, disclosed that the plaintiff had, through a letter dated May 4, 2026, applied to the chief judge of the Federal High Court for the transfer of the case to another judge.

 

He said the letter had already been transmitted to the court registrar and urged Justice Nwite to await the administrative decision of the chief judge.

Advert

 

The request immediately drew strong opposition from the defence team, which accused the plaintiff of attempting to frustrate the accelerated hearing earlier ordered by the Court of Appeal and upheld by the Supreme Court.

 

Counsel for the first defendant, Realwan Okpanachi, who held brief for Shuaibu Aruwa, argued that the plaintiff had misrepresented the outcome of the Supreme Court judgment.

 

According to him, the apex court partially allowed the appeal and specifically upheld the appellate court’s order directing accelerated hearing of the case.

 

Okpanachi further faulted the plaintiff for allegedly ambushing the defendants with the transfer request.

 

He added that they consider it an attempt to frustrate the order of accelerated hearing granted by the Court of Appeal and upheld by the Supreme Court.

 

The senior lawyer maintained that litigants were not permitted to choose courts or judges to determine their cases.

 

He, however, urged the court to maintain the earlier order adjourning the matter sine die pending the filing of the certified true copy of the Supreme Court judgment.

 

Counsel for the second defendant, Sulaiman Usman, also condemned the plaintiff’s move, describing it as “forum shopping and judge shopping”.

 

Usman told the court that the Supreme Court had commended Justice Nwite “in glowing terms” over his handling of the proceedings.

 

Responding, Haruna faulted the defence for attacking a letter they had not seen, insisting that the plaintiff stood by its application.

 

Justice Nwite subsequently held that the court could not take any decision on the letter without hearing all parties.

 

“Taking a decision or any action in such a letter without hearing from the defendants will amount to a breach of their fundamental right in this suit,” the judge ruled.

 

He added that since the letter was addressed to the chief judge, the trial court could not make any pronouncement on it.

 

“This matter is best adjourned sine die to afford the parties the opportunity to properly file a Certified True Copy of the judgment of the Supreme Court in the interlocutory appeal in the suit, to serve the defendants with the letter addressed to the Honourable Chief Judge, and finally to await further or any directive from the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court,” Justice Nwite said.

 

The matter was thereafter adjourned indefinitely.

Continue Reading

News

WAEC Opens Registration for 2026 WASSCE for Private Candidates 

Published

on

 

 

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

 

 

The West African Examinations Council, Nigeria, has announced the commencement of registration for the 2026 West African Senior School Certificate Examination for Private Candidates, Second Series.

Advert

 

WAEC, in an announcement on its X handle on Friday, said, “Registration opened on Sunday, May 4, 2026, and will close on Thursday, July 31, 2026.”

 

It added that the examination will be conducted entirely as a Computer-Based Examination.

 

The registration fee is set at ₦37,000.

 

Candidates are advised to visit the nearest WAEC office in their state to confirm available examination towns before completing their registration.

 

WAEC encouraged prospective candidates to register early to avoid a last-minute rush and to take full advantage of the computer-based format.

 

The WASSCE for Private Candidates (Second Series) is a special annual examination organised by WAEC for individuals who are not in regular secondary schools, allowing them to register and sit for the examination independently to obtain the certificate.

Continue Reading

News

NSA Nuhu Ribadu Meets JD Vance to Bolster US-Nigeria Counterterrorism

Published

on

 

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

 

Nuhu Ribadu, national security adviser (NSA), recently met with JD Vance, vice-president of the United States; and Marco Rubio, US secretary of state; over counterterrorism cooperation in West Africa.

 

In a post on X, Secure Nigeria, a social media platform focused on security issues, stated that the meeting reinforced the partnership between Nigeria and the US in combating terrorism across the region.

Advert

 

The post added that President Bola Tinubu appreciates the partnership and continued support of the US government under President Donald Trump.

 

“@officialABAT is grateful for @realDonaldTrump’s partnership and continued U.S. training and intelligence support as Nigerian forces intensify operations to dismantle terrorist networks, protect Nigerian Christians, and defend all vulnerable communities,” the post reads.

 

“Africa’s largest democracy isn’t wavering. Nigeria stands as a frontline U.S. partner against ISIS, Boko Haram, and rising terror threats across the Sahel.”

 

The platform said both countries remain committed to defeating terrorism and strengthening regional security cooperation.

 

“This fight is winnable, and together, the U.S. and Nigeria intend to finish it,” the post added.

Continue Reading

Trending