Connect with us

News

2023:INEC Commences Distribution Of Over 77 Thousand PVC’S In Kano

Published

on

 

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Kano State, has warned against multiple registrations for Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) during the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise.

The INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Prof Risqua Shehu, disclosed this during a press conference on Thursday in Kano.

Shehu revealed that the commission observed that many of the people who show up for the registration already have their Permanent Voters Card (PVCs).

According to him, as at January 2022, about 40 percent of those who registered in Kano State were found to have registered before.

“This scenario is in all the states of the federation. Infact, there were states that recorded over 50 percent illegal registration.

Nigeria And The Opprobrium Over The Origin Or The Originals

Advert

“We have been trying to educate people to understand that the PVCs issued by the commission do not expire, therefore, there is no need for anybody with his or her PVC to register again.

“Double registration is an offence as clearly enshrined in the Electoral Act 2022. The person involved is liable for prosecution and he will be fined for N100,000 or one year prison sentence or both,” he explained.

Shehu enjoined people to desist from multiple registrations in the ongoing CVR exercise across the state.

 

According to him, over 380,000 old PVCs that are yet to be collected.

The INEC official said that the commission had commenced distribution of 77,117 new PVCs of those who registered between June to December 2021 of the CVR.

The REC further disclosed that the commission had received 13,932 cards of all those who updated their information or requested for transfer.

Shehu who said that as at June 27, 2022, there were 396, 651 online applicants in Kano, also added that a total of 380,582 have completed their registration so far.

He said that the commission had initially announced June 30th , 2022 as date to stop the CVR but due to the recent upsurge across the states the exercise would continue and a new date for the closure would soon be announced by the commission.

The commissioner explained that the commission had created additional registration center at Indoor Sports hall of Sani Abacha Stadium, Kofar-Mata in the metropolis.

According to him, the location was chosen because of convenience and sitting capacity.

He added that the commission would deploy 30 IVED machines and personnel to commence registration of eligible Nigerians on Tuesday, July 5th.

 

The INEC official urged those that had yet to register to do so in order to avoid a last-minute rush.

 

“I want to use this opportunity to urge all those that are yet to collect their PVCs to go to the INEC offices in the LGAs where they registered to do so,” he appealed.

News

Just One Point Away”: Emirate Council Dismisses Carry-Over Rumour, Says Sanusi Set for First Class

Published

on

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Kano Emirate Council has dismissed as false a viral video alleging that Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II obtained a carry-over in one of his law courses at Northwest University, Kano.

The video, which circulated widely on social media platforms on Sunday, purportedly suggested that the former Central Bank of Nigeria governor had failed to meet the academic requirements for one of his courses.

Mr Sanusi is currently enrolled as a 200-level undergraduate student in the Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) programme in Common Law and Sharia at the university.

Advert

However, Muhammad Ado, Secretary in the Office of the Emir, said the claim was untrue, insisting that the Emir remained on course to graduate with a first-class degree.

According to him, the Emirate’s records showed that Sanusi needed only one additional point to attain a first-class grade.

“We attended a programme organised by Law Students in the university on Saturday, and a student took the video. But it’s not true.

“In our calculations, it remains only one point for the Emir to attain first class. Sunday Dare was a visiting lecturer at the programme,” Ado said.

A student of the university, Ibrahim Abubakar-Danmasani, also dismissed the claim, saying examinations at the institution had not commenced as of Sunday.

He said the examinations were expected to begin on Monday.

Sources within the university also corroborated the position of the Emirate Council, saying the viral video did not reflect the true academic situation of the Emir.

The sources attributed the video to some youths who allegedly recorded and circulated it as a prank.

Continue Reading

News

Northern Reform Organisation Backs Catholic Bishops’ Call for Urgent National Reflection, Action

Published

on

 

 

The Northern Reform Organisation (NRO) has thrown its weight behind the Catholic Bishops of Nigeria’s call for urgent national reflection and corrective action, describing the bishops’ assessment of the country’s worsening conditions as courageous, forthright and deeply patriotic.

In a statement signed by its Chairman, Gidado Mukhtar, the Northern Reform Organisation said the Catholic Bishops had demonstrated exemplary moral leadership by publicly drawing attention to the severe hardships confronting Nigerians and the broader challenges facing the country across virtually every sector of national life.

The NRO said it particularly commended the bishops for choosing to speak openly about the country’s challenges rather than restricting their concerns to private engagements with government officials, arguing that their intervention reflected a strong sense of national responsibility.

According to the Northern Reform Organisation, the bishops’ intervention goes beyond partisan or sectional interests and represents a sincere concern for the welfare of Nigerians, the preservation of national unity and the long-term stability and success of the present administration.

The organisation said it fully identified with the concerns expressed by the Catholic Bishops and endorsed their demand for urgent national introspection, arguing that the issues raised by the bishops correspond with realities being experienced daily by millions of Nigerians.

The NRO identified widespread economic hardship, growing insecurity, governance deficits and declining public confidence in state institutions among the major concerns that require immediate attention. The organisation cautioned against dismissing such concerns as mere political criticism or subjecting them to what it described as sophisticated arguments from government officials and political actors.

Advert

The Northern Reform Organisation therefore appealed to well-meaning Nigerians, civil society organisations, professional bodies and other patriotic stakeholders to support the bishops’ intervention and add their voices to the call for meaningful national action.

The organisation maintained that addressing Nigeria’s current difficulties cannot be left to government alone, stressing that rescuing the country from its present challenges requires collective responsibility, honesty, courage and constructive engagement from citizens and stakeholders across the country.

The NRO also urged the Federal Government to undertake a deep and honest reflection on the issues raised by the Catholic Bishops and to look beyond what it described as reassuring narratives frequently presented through official channels.

According to the organisation, genuine leadership requires more than acknowledging difficult realities; it also requires responding to those realities with sincerity, transparency, urgency and decisive policy action.

The Northern Reform Organisation warned that Nigeria is currently at a critical point in its history and argued that the concerns raised by the Catholic Bishops should not be interpreted as criticism for its own sake.

Rather, the NRO described the bishops’ intervention as a timely and patriotic contribution to the national conversation, saying it should be treated as an opportunity to identify effective solutions to the country’s mounting social, economic, security and governance challenges.

The organisation expressed hope that the bishops’ intervention would become a catalyst for meaningful reforms capable of restoring public trust and confidence in democratic governance, while advancing equity, justice and national cohesion.

The NRO further called for reforms that would place Nigeria on a stronger path towards economic and social recovery, national renewal and shared prosperity, recalling the commitments made by President Bola Tinubu during his campaign for office.

The Northern Reform Organisation said it remained convinced that Nigeria’s current challenges could be addressed through responsible leadership, constructive public engagement and policies that respond directly to the difficulties confronting ordinary citizens.

The statement was signed by Gidado Mukhtar, Chairman of the Northern Reform Organisation, and dated August 10, 2026.

The organisation’s Board of Trustees listed in the statement includes Gidado Mukhtar, Abulrahman Umar, Musa Magami, Ado Mohammed Umar, Paroug Abdulwahab, Bello Masu, James Magaji, Mainako Umar-Shiiten, Muhammad Sani Hassan, Murtala Abubakar Gaca, Kiyawa, Mujaba Isa, GsauL Fassan, Zanna Boguna and Yusuf Abdallah.

Continue Reading

News

We’re aware of your clandestine meetings with Lulu-Briggs, 𝐏𝐢𝐝𝐨𝐦𝐬𝐨𝐧, CRP uncovers ex-MD of NDDC, Nunieh

Published

on

 

Concerned Rivers People, CRP has uncovered the underbelly of former Managing Director of NDDC, Mrs Joy Nunieh as she holds clandestine meetings with Gabriel Pidomson and Dumo Lulu-Briggs.

This was contained in a statement signed by CRP’s Publicity Secretary, Mr Sunny Nwagbo on Sunday where he declared that these clandestine meetings and backdoor politics will not stop the will of the people, their plans will fall like a pack of cards.

In the statement it was further stressed that “Information at our disposal confirms that a meeting was held at the residence of 𝐌𝐫𝐬. 𝐉𝐨𝐲 𝐍𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐡, former Managing Director of NDDC, between 𝐌𝐫. 𝐆𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐥 𝐏𝐢𝐝𝐨𝐦𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐦𝐨 𝐋𝐮𝐥𝐮-𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐠𝐬 to strategize against the 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐛𝐨𝐰 𝐂𝐨𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧.

Advert

“We are also aware that another meeting is to hold at the 𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐚 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐇𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐥 𝐄𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐁𝐲𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬.

“Let it be known, the 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐛𝐨𝐰 𝐂𝐨𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲. These clandestine meetings and backdoor politics will not stop the will of the people, their plans will totally fail.

“Also let us quickly send a reminder to Nunieh that she must be in a hurry to have forgotten so soon how she was saved from the pangs of those who almost extinguished her from existence while in office.

” It’s sad that human memory is so short when it comes to political matters, if Nunieh has forgotten we will soon uncover details and let posterity pass a verdict, the statement added.

Continue Reading

Trending