Connect with us

News

Breaking:ASUU Sets for Indefinite Strike

Published

on

 

The much anticipated decision of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on whether to commence an indefinite strike action or offer another ‘lifeline’ to the Nigerian government will be taken at another meeting of the national executive council (NEC) members scheduled to commence by 12 midnight on Sunday.

The meeting, which is tagged “NEC for NEC”, is an extension of an ongoing two-day meeting of NEC members which has been reviewing the positions of each of the branches of the union on the sensitive matter of whether to declare industrial action or not.

The NEC meeting, which commenced on Saturday at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, was a follow-up to earlier public engagement and sensitisation congress meetings of the various branches which necessitated declaration of lecture-free periods across the various campuses.

Engr. Namatazu Is The PRP Elected Leader In Kano-National Chairman

The union had earlier hinted it would communicate its decision to the media on Monday.

A source among the leadership of the union on Friday informed some journalists to be prepared for an impromptu briefing by the union on Monday.

Meanwhile, the ongoing NEC meeting, which had commenced on Saturday at the Ade Ajayi Auditorium in UNILAG, was abruptly relocated to Tayo Aderinokun Lecture Hall near the university’s guest house on Sunday over what a reliable source described as the fear of bugging of the auditorium by secret agents of the Nigerian government.

Advert

“You know the matter at hand is very sensitive and ASUU has been very careful. So it got information that the venue had been bugged over night and had to relocate to another venue to continue its meeting on Sunday. It is a serious thing. But the final decision will be taken by midnight today (Sunday),” a member of ASUU who does not want to be quoted told our reporter on Sunday evening.

The much anticipated decision of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on whether to commence an indefinite strike action or offer another ‘lifeline’ to the Nigerian government will be taken at another meeting of the national executive council (NEC) members scheduled to commence by 12 midnight on Sunday.

The meeting, which is tagged “NEC for NEC”, is an extension of an ongoing two-day meeting of NEC members which has been reviewing the positions of each of the branches of the union on the sensitive matter of whether to declare industrial action or not.

The NEC meeting, which commenced on Saturday at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, was a follow-up to earlier public engagement and sensitisation congress meetings of the various branches which necessitated declaration of lecture-free periods across the various campuses.

The union had earlier hinted it would communicate its decision to the media on Monday.

A source among the leadership of the union on Friday informed some journalists to be prepared for an impromptu briefing by the union on Monday.

Meanwhile, the ongoing NEC meeting, which had commenced on Saturday at the Ade Ajayi Auditorium in UNILAG, was abruptly relocated to Tayo Aderinokun Lecture Hall near the university’s guest house on Sunday over what a reliable source described as the fear of bugging of the auditorium by secret agents of the Nigerian government.

“You know the matter at hand is very sensitive and ASUU has been very careful. So it got information that the venue had been bugged over night and had to relocate to another venue to continue its meeting on Sunday. It is a serious thing. But the final decision will be taken by midnight today (Sunday),” a member of ASUU who does not want to be quoted told our reporter on Sunday evening.

News

CDS Oluyede Honored with National Award in Sierra Leone

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, has been decorated with the Grand Commander of the Order of the Rokel, one of Sierra Leone’s highest national honours. The award was conferred during a grand ceremony marking the 17th Armed Forces Day of the Republic of Sierra Leone.

In a statement released on [Date, if available], the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, confirmed that the honour recognises General Oluyede’s pivotal role in securing peace in Sierra Leone during his service with the Economic Community of West African States Monitoring Group (ECOMOG).

The statement highlighted that the award serves as a profound appreciation not only for General Oluyede’s personal contributions but also for the sacrifices of all Nigerian officers and soldiers who fought to restore peace and stability to the nation during its civil war.

Advert

General Oluyede’s connection to Sierra Leone dates back to the early 1990s. Between 1992 and 1994, he was deployed as a Platoon Commander, tasked with securing the residence of the then-Head of State. During this period, he was lauded for his exemplary leadership, professionalism, and unwavering commitment to protecting the government in a time of intense turmoil.

Aside from Nigerian CDS, other distinguished personalities from Nigeria, Guinea, United Kingdom, United States and Kenya, among others, were equally awarded medals during the ceremony.

They included former Nigerian CDS, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rtd), Lt. Gen. Daniel Opande of Kenya (rtd), Lt. Gen. Ibrahima Sory Bangoura of Guinea, Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers of USA and
Brig. Gen. Edward Butler (rtd) of the UK.

The Armed Forces Day event also served as a solemn tribute to the courage and sacrifice of regional forces. Special recognition was reserved for the Nigerian Armed Forces, whose steadfast commitment under the ECOMOG banner was described as being at the forefront of regional peace enforcement.

The Nigerian contingent was particularly commended for its distinctive bravery, resilience, and dedication to the protection of civilians during Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, cementing the nation’s legacy as a cornerstone of peace and stability in the West African sub-region.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Kill Senior Boko Haram Commander, Arrest Drone Supplier in Zamfara Operation

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI, operating in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have killed a senior Boko Haram commander during a mission in the Madagali axis of Zamfara State.

Security sources confirmed that the neutralised terrorist, identified as Abdullahi Mafa, was a former hybrid commander of the insurgent group. He was killed in a targeted operation on Thursday following a fierce encounter with security forces along the Visik River corridor.

According to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the troops came into contact with suspected Boko Haram fighters while laying an ambush in the area, leading to a gun battle that resulted in Mafa’s death.

Advert

In a separate but related operation within the same Madagali Local Government Area, troops also arrested a suspected logistics and drone supplier linked to the terrorists. The suspect, Dauda Usman Gubula, was apprehended during a raid at the Madagali Motor Park.

Makama, citing official sources, revealed that security operatives recovered several items from the suspect, including two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks believed to be destined for terrorist use. Gubula is currently in custody as investigations continue.

The military has maintained sustained offensive operations across the region as part of ongoing efforts to dismantle Boko Haram cells and restore normalcy to affected communities.

Continue Reading

News

Legal Troubles Mount for El-Rufai as ICPC Takes Him into Custody

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The legal challenges facing the immediate past Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, intensified on Wednesday as he was taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The anti-graft agency confirmed the development in a statement on Thursday, signed by its Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody as at close of work, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026,” the statement read. “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.”

While the ICPC did not disclose the specific details of the allegations, his detention marks a significant escalation in the scrutiny of his eight-year tenure and follows a recent high-profile arrest by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

El-Rufai’s transfer to ICPC custody comes immediately after he spent two nights with the EFCC over allegations of large-scale corruption and embezzlement. Those allegations stem from a Kaduna State House of Assembly ad-hoc committee report, which indicted his administration for allegedly siphoning approximately ₦432 billion through questionable contracts and money laundering.

Advert

Sources revealed that while the EFCC had granted the former governor administrative bail, the process was derailed under controversial circumstances. The bail conditions reportedly required a Permanent Secretary and a Director in a federal ministry to stand as sureties. However, after one of the proposed sureties—a Permanent Secretary—arrived at the EFCC office to complete the formalities, the agency allegedly hesitated and later declined to proceed.

Further compounding the issue, it was learned that the Permanent Secretary subsequently withdrew from the process, citing alleged threats. This has raised concerns about possible intimidation and interference in the case.

El-Rufai was scheduled to appear before the ICPC on Wednesday for questioning over separate corruption allegations, leading to his transfer to the commission’s custody.

In a parallel legal front, the Department of State Services (DSS) has filed charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja. The charges, filed under suit number FHC/CR/99/2026, allege that the former governor unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

According to court documents dated February 16, 2026, the prosecution’s case hinges on comments El-Rufai made during a televised interview on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026.

In the first count, the former governor is accused of unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications, an offense said to be contrary to Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

The second count alleges that El-Rufai admitted to knowing individuals involved in the interception but failed to report them to relevant security agencies, an offense under Section 27(b) of the same Act.

In the third count, prosecutors allege that El-Rufai and “others still at large” used technical systems to compromise public safety and national security by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

El-Rufai has consistently denied all allegations leveled against him, describing them as politically motivated “witch-hunts.” However, with the EFCC, ICPC, and DSS all pursuing separate investigations, the former governor now faces an unprecedented multi-agency legal offensive.

Continue Reading

Trending