Connect with us

News

FG trains Castor farmers on new production technique

Published

on

 

 

 

The Federal Government has trained castor farmers drawn from the 44 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Kano, on new production techniques and good agricultural practice.

 

 

The training, which was organised by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) was held on Thursday in Kano.

 

Mr Ernest Umakhihe, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, said the training was in an effort to attain food and self security, as well as improve the livelihood of castor farmers.

 

According to him, government’s creation of awareness on castor farming, was geared toward achieving set objectives.

 

He noted that castor was the most versatile plant, used for over 10 different industries for various products.

 

“The seed contains between 40 to 70 per cent oil, which is unique among vegetable oils because it is the only commercial source of a hydroxylated fatty acid.

 

“The demand for castor oil has kept on increasing in the international market assured by 700 users, ranging from medicine and cosmetics, to biodiesel, plastic and Lubricants,” he explained.

Advert

 

According to him, the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development through the value chain, has so far distributed 7,870,000kg of breeder foundation castor seeds as palliative to castor farmers aimed at cushioning the effects of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

 

 

Umakhihe who was represented by Mr Ukattah Bernard, Deputy Director, Tree Crops, noted that the capacity building, was coming at a crucial moment of the country’s recovery from a difficult spell of the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

He said that the current administration was determined to turn around the nations economy, including agriculture, through its unwavering support for farmers and empowerment of women and youths.

 

The permanent secretary then enjoined participants to take advantage of the opportunity to address food insufficiency and food insecurity in the country.

 

The Executive Director, Institute of Agricultural Research, Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Prof. Muhammad Faguci, said the training which was timely, was also aimed at building the capacity of castor farmers, to improve their production.

 

According to him, Nigeria imports castor oil to the tune of about N30 billion annually, noting that the capacity building was one of the efforts to bridge the gap.

 

He noted that through the training, the country would be self sufficient in castor oil production and even export it for commercial purposes.

 

Earlier, the Coordinator of Prestigious Bridge Institute, Dr. Aisha Yusuf, urged the participants to ensure that their castorseeds were of the quality and standard that would compete in the global market.

 

Yusuf added that the workshop would improve the farmers’ technical know-how in castor farming and go ahead to improve their business.

 

The Chairman, Castor Farmers Association, Kano Chapter, Malam Muhammad Buhari, who spoke on behalf of the participants, commended the Federal Ministry of Agriculture for organising the training.

 

He promised that castor farmers in the state would make judicious use of the knowledge received from the training, as well retrain others.

News

Information Commissioner Meets Civil Society Groups on Governance, Development in Kano

Published

on

Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya addressing the Press after the meeting

 

The Kano State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, on Thursday convened a strategic meeting with civil society organisations to discuss issues affecting the state and strengthen collaboration with the government.

During the engagement, the commissioner briefed participants on the ongoing initiatives of the administration of Abba Kabir Yusuf, noting that civil society groups play a critical role in governance and policy development.

Waiya reiterated the government’s commitment to inclusive governance, stressing that civil society actors remain key partners in promoting sustainable development across Kano.

Advert

He described civil society organisations as an important constituency, emphasizing the need to deepen partnerships, sustain open communication, and build stronger cooperation between government institutions and non-state actors.

Participants at the meeting described the session as interactive and forward-looking, as stakeholders exchanged ideas on policy priorities and strategies aimed at advancing development in the state.

The meeting ended with a renewed commitment by both the government and civil society groups to continue working together in promoting transparency, accountability, and development initiatives in Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

ADC Raises Alarm Over Alleged Plot to Arrest Chibuike Amaechi

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State chapter of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised serious concerns over an alleged plot by the government to arrest a prominent leader of the party and former Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.

The party’s State Publicity Secretary, Chief Luckyman Egila, made the allegation during an interview with LEADERSHIP in Port Harcourt on Friday. He claimed that the ADC, positioning itself as a leading opposition force, has become a primary target of the administration.

Responding to questions about widespread speculation regarding Mr. Amaechi’s potential arrest, Egila stated that such rumours are credible within the nation’s current political context.

Advert

“While it may be termed a rumour, we are in a political arena where such possibilities cannot be dismissed,” Egila said. He drew a parallel to a recent incident involving a key opposition figure, adding, “We must recall that Nasir El-Rufai was recently detained by the Department of State Services (DSS). It appears they are systematically targeting anyone perceived as opposition.”

Egila elaborated on the ADC’s self-perceived role in the national political landscape, suggesting that its growing influence is the motive behind the alleged plot.

“As things stand in Nigeria today, the African Democratic Congress is emerging as the main opposition political party capable of challenging the ruling party. We cannot simply write this off as a baseless rumour; there is a deliberate scheme to incapacitate anyone with the capacity to oppose or defeat them in an election.”

Despite the serious allegations, Egila was careful to reaffirm the party’s commitment to lawful conduct. He noted that while the party has received intelligence regarding the purported plan, the specifics of the operation—whether it would be a public arrest or a covert action—remain unclear.

“The African Democratic Congress is a law-abiding political party,” Egila stated. “We are aware of the intelligence suggesting this move, but we do not know if they intend to apprehend him publicly or through other means.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: El-Rufai to be Arraigned February 25 for Cybercrime, Security Breach

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The State Security Service, SSS, will on Feb 25, arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, FHC, fixed the date after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho, assigned the case to her.

The DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Ngpfvuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act, (2024), and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In count on, El Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did admit during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

Advert

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did state during the interview that he knew and related with certain individual, who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27 (b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety, national security and instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting NSA’s phone communications.
.
The act, which the DSS said, the ex-governor admitted during an interview on Feb. 13th on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja “and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

Recalls that El-Rufai had, during a live interview on the TV station, claimed he overheard Mr Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him, linking the alleged directive to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Feb. 12y after his return from Cairo, Egypt.

The former governor was detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday over corruption allegations.

He was granted administrative bail at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday but was said to have been immediately taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The ICPC’s Spokesperson, John Odey, who confirmed the development in a message shared on a journalist’s Whatsapp group Wednesday night, simply said: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”

Continue Reading

Trending