Connect with us

News

2021 Budget: Magashi Defends Over 340 Billion Naira For Defence

Published

on

 

The Minister of Defence, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has presented and defended the Ministry of Defence budget proposal of Three hundred and forty billion, three hundred and fifteen million, three hundred and fifty nine thousand, two hundred and fifty five naira ninety five kobo.(N340,315,359,255.95) for the 2021 fiscal year.

The Minister made the presentation before the 9 man Senator Aliyu Wamako led Senate Committee on Defence at the National Assembly Complex Abuja.

General Magashi who was supported by the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Defence, Hussaini Babangida said the budget is based on the 2020-2023 Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) as well as anchored on providing adequate security through strengthening the Tri-Services and other institutions under the Ministry to enable them perform their roles with all the necessary requirements.

While giving a breakdown of the budget proposal he explained that two billion, seventy six million, four hundred and nine thousand, eight hundred and forty four naira (N2,076,409,844.00) is proposed under the main overhead cost of the Ministry of Defence for the year out of which the sum of One billion five hundred and twenty million (N1,520,000,000.00) is for the Brigade of Guards. Additionally ,the sum of five hundred and fifty six million, four hundred and nine thousand eight hundred and four naira (N556,409,844.00) is for its regular overhead expenditure to arrive at the grand total of three hundred and forty billion, three hundred and fifteen million, three hundred and fifty nine thousand two hundred and fifty five naira ninety five. kobo( N340,315,359,255.95).

Advert

On Critical Capital Projects to be executed by the Ministry in the 2021 fiscal year,he said in addition to the on-going projects there are other Special projects approved by Mr President which include acquisition of Defence Equipment on government to government basis in the sum of $692,968,573.00 out of which 30% was released by the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning.

According to the Defence Minister, the Ministry is mandated by the President to execute a stalled contract put at USD269,734,420.50 for the delivery of seven hundred (700) Troops Carrying Vehicles and fifty (50) buses awarded since 2014 by the Office of the National Security Adviser.

Retrospectively, the Minister in a 5 paged 2021 budget proposal had earlier summarised the 2020 budget performance as at 26th October which revealed that 88% of the Overhead was utilised while the total Expenditure for Capital utilised stands at 16% owing to what he blamed on four causative challenges. They include, the general effects of Covid-19 pandemic, paucity of funds, late releases of Capital funds and bureaucratic bottleneck associated with procurement process.

While appealing for favourable consideration of the budget proposal by the Senate Committee on Defence, General Magashi said the Ministry under his watch is committed to actualising its core mandate of providing adequate security for a peaceful, stable, secured and united Nigeria.

Responding to questions raised by some members of the Committee who observed that the budget proposal for the Overhead and Capital Projects are low, the Minister said procurement which should be entirely the responsibility of the Ministry of Defence is in the purview and pursuit of the Services.

In a statement by Muhammad Abdulkadiri said the Chairman Senate Committee on Defence Aliyu Wamako while assuring the Minister of Defence that the Ministry’s budget proposal will undergo the usual thorough examination by members of the Committee with a view to doing justice to it, he gave an ikling for possible upward review of the total estimates.

News

Breaking:Ramadan Cresecent Sighted In Saudi Arabia

Published

on

— The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted in Saudi Arabia, confirming that the holy month will begin on Wednesday.

The announcement followed reports from authorized moon sighting committees across the Kingdom, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

With the confirmation, Muslims across Saudi Arabia will begin fasting at dawn on Wednesday, observing the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar with prayers, reflection and charitable acts.

Advert

Ramadan is a period of spiritual devotion marked by daily fasting from dawn to sunset, increased worship, and community gatherings.

Mosques across the Kingdom are preparing to receive worshippers for Taraweeh prayers, while authorities have finalized arrangements to ensure smooth services during the holy month.

Government entities and private institutions are also set to implement adjusted working hours in line with Ramadan schedules.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Drama in Reps as Lawmakers Reverse on Electronic Results, Opposition Walks Out

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The House of Representatives on Tuesday rescinded its earlier decision on Clause 60(3) of the Electoral Act amendment bill, adopting instead the version earlier passed by the Senate, which allows both electronic and manual transmission of election results.

The decision followed an emergency sitting and sparked protest from opposition lawmakers, who staged a walkout from the chamber while chanting, “APC, ole! APC, ole!” in open dissent.

The House had initially approved a stricter provision mandating compulsory electronic transmission of results from each polling unit to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Result Viewing (IREV) portal.

Advert

The earlier version stipulated that: “The Presiding Officer shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the IREV portal and such transmission shall be done after the prescribed Form EC8A has been signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and/or countersigned by the candidates or polling agents where available at the polling unit.”

However, at Tuesday’s sitting, lawmakers reconsidered the clause and aligned with the Senate’s version, which introduces a caveat in the event of technical failure.

Under the adopted provision, while electronic transmission remains mandatory, it provides that where such transmission fails due to communication challenges, making it impossible to upload results electronically, the manually completed Form EC8A—duly signed and stamped by the Presiding Officer and countersigned by candidates or polling agents where available—shall remain the primary basis for collation and declaration of results.

The reversal has heightened political tension within the chamber, with opposition members expressing concern that the amendment could weaken safeguards around electronic transmission of election results.

Continue Reading

News

Health Ministry Enforces Federal Directive, Retires Directors with Eight Years’ Service

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Federal Ministry of Health has ordered an immediate disengagement of Directors who have spent at least eight years in the directorate cadre with immediate effect.

The directors affected include those in the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, among others, according to a memo sighted by our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday morning.

The Federal Government had, on Monday, directed all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies to enforce the eight-year tenure limit for directors and permanent secretaries, following a new deadline set through the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.

The memo announcing the enforcement of the order at the FMOH signed by the Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Health, Tetshoma Dafeta, reads, “Further to the Eight (8)-Year Tenure Policy of the Federal Public Service, which mandates the compulsory retirement of Directors after eight years in that rank, as provided in the Revised Public Service Rules 2021(PSR 020909) copy attached, I am directed to remind you to take necessary action to ensure that all affected officers who have spent eight years as Directors, effective 31st December, 2025, are disengaged from Service immediately.

Advert

“Accordingly, all Heads of Agencies and Parastatals are by this circular, to ensure that the affected staff hand over all official documents/possessions with immediate effect, their salaries are stopped by the IPPIS Unit and mandate the officers to refund to the treasury all emoluments paid after their effective date of disengagement.

“This is reiterated in a circular recently issued by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Ref. No. HSCF/3065/Vol.I/225, dated 10″ February 2026. A copy is herewith attached for guidance, please.

“In addition, you are to forward the nominal roll of all directorate officers
(CONMESS 07/CONHESS 15/CONRAISS 15)

“Failure to adhere to paragraph 2 above shall be met with stiff sanctions.”

Recall that in July 2023, the former Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Folasade Yemi-Esan, announced the commencement of the revised Public Service Rules.

Speaking at a lecture at the State House, Abuja, to mark the 2023 Civil Service Week, Yemi-Esan stated that the revised PSR took effect from July 27, 2023.

The Head of Service issued a circular addressed to Permanent Secretaries, the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Auditor-General for the Federation, and heads of extra-ministerial departments, informing them of the revised rules.

“Following the approval of the revised Public Service Rules (PSR) by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on September 27, 2021, and its subsequent unveiling during the public service lecture in commemoration of the 2023 Civil Service Week, the PSR has become operational with effect from July 27, 2023,” the circular read.

According to Section 020909 of the revised PSR, the tenure limit for permanent secretaries is four years, with a possible renewal based only on satisfactory performance.

The rules also stipulate that a director (GL 17) or their equivalent shall compulsorily retire after eight years in that position.

Continue Reading

Trending