Connect with us

News

 COVID19: Kano Private Schools lost over 1.6 Billion Naira

Published

on

Kano Kids in Private Schools

Abbas Yushau Yusuf

 

Due to the shutdown of all schools in Kano state beginning from March 23, 2020, The Joint Association of Private Schools in Kano says they have lost more than 1.6 billion Naira to the pandemic.

 

 

 

 

 

In a communiqué issued by Engineer, Bashir Adamu Aliyu said Kano State Ministry of Education released a press statement on Wednesday 28th October 2020 indicating the possibility of a cancellation of the 3rd Term of 2019/2020.

 

Since then, school proprietors have been contacting their respective associations trying to understand the situation and make sense of the directive.

 

He said This is what necessitated an update by the Joint Committee of Private and Voluntary Schools Associations in Kano State.

 

 

According to Engineer Bashir Adamu Aliyu   the fact that their members are equally faced with economic challenges resulting from the shutdown, the fact that most of our members use rented properties and many could not meet up with their rents, financial obligations and debt servicing during the lockdown.

 

The Joint Association Observed that they have over 3,000 schools in Kano State, and the  Associations provide employment to over 100,000 staff, give affordable, qualitative education to more than 600,000 students, and generate billions of Naira in revenue for the real estate, publishers, furniture and other affiliated businesses and industries.

 

 

The association also noted that a few dozen private schools were fumigated along with public schools in preparation for SSCE and NECO examinations, while some of the final year students were given facemasks to help them comply with COVID-19 protocols.

 

 

 

The association also lamented nonreceipt of financial assistance from the State Government despite  on Thurs October 22, 2020, they submitted a passionate appeal to Governor Ganduje through the  Commissioner, Kano State Ministry of Education,

Advert

 

Nigerian Ambassador to Jordan Haruna Ungogo is Dead

 

According to the Lagos State government has launched an N5,000,000,000 (Five Billion Naira) support fund to help reduce the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on low-cost private schools in the state, because the educational sector is one of those severely impacted by the pandemic, with schools and vocational learning-centers shut since March.”

 

 

 

They also cited example with  Kwara State Government setting aside the sum of N135,500,000 (One Hundred and Thirty-Five Million Naira) under the Kwara State Social Investment Programme (KWASSIP) as an interest-free loan to 1,119 private school owners across the state, as salary support for their workers to prevent massive loss of job and poverty surge in the education sub-sector.

 

That even in those States where financial support was provided to the schools, none of them was requested to discount their schools’ fees.

We are willing to reduce 5 Percent Fees For Third Term-Kano Private Schools

 

They said, even though they appreciate the Federal Government efforts to assist the staff of private schools with some relief packages, it is yet to materialise, and is only applicable to 10 persons only per school and for only 3 months. 8.

 

 

 

“That all the Federal Government Colleges are currently conducting the 3rd term of the 2019/2020 Session, they are collecting their full school fees and rejecting any child whose parents cannot pay”

 

 

The Joint Association of Private Schools further calls on all members to remain calm, law-abiding and cooperate with all relevant authorities, to ensure the smooth running of schools and maintain the peaceful atmosphere in the State.

 

They also reassure their members that they are still discussing and contacting the authorities concerned to clarify the issues and arrive at an informed decision, as critical stakeholders in education, hence the question of threatening us to take a hasty stance does not even arise.

 

They also lament the loss of more than 1.65 Billion Naira to the pandemic for the 7-month abstinence of teaching and learning in Nigerian Schools.

 

Engineer Bashir noted that canceling 3rd Term and that of school fees discount are two entirely separate issues, each of which should be handled differently, as one affects the public and private schools while the other is exclusive to private schools.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

News

Information Commissioner Meets Civil Society Groups on Governance, Development in Kano

Published

on

Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya addressing the Press after the meeting

 

The Kano State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, on Thursday convened a strategic meeting with civil society organisations to discuss issues affecting the state and strengthen collaboration with the government.

During the engagement, the commissioner briefed participants on the ongoing initiatives of the administration of Abba Kabir Yusuf, noting that civil society groups play a critical role in governance and policy development.

Waiya reiterated the government’s commitment to inclusive governance, stressing that civil society actors remain key partners in promoting sustainable development across Kano.

Advert

He described civil society organisations as an important constituency, emphasizing the need to deepen partnerships, sustain open communication, and build stronger cooperation between government institutions and non-state actors.

Participants at the meeting described the session as interactive and forward-looking, as stakeholders exchanged ideas on policy priorities and strategies aimed at advancing development in the state.

The meeting ended with a renewed commitment by both the government and civil society groups to continue working together in promoting transparency, accountability, and development initiatives in Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

ADC Raises Alarm Over Alleged Plot to Arrest Chibuike Amaechi

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The Rivers State chapter of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised serious concerns over an alleged plot by the government to arrest a prominent leader of the party and former Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.

The party’s State Publicity Secretary, Chief Luckyman Egila, made the allegation during an interview with LEADERSHIP in Port Harcourt on Friday. He claimed that the ADC, positioning itself as a leading opposition force, has become a primary target of the administration.

Responding to questions about widespread speculation regarding Mr. Amaechi’s potential arrest, Egila stated that such rumours are credible within the nation’s current political context.

Advert

“While it may be termed a rumour, we are in a political arena where such possibilities cannot be dismissed,” Egila said. He drew a parallel to a recent incident involving a key opposition figure, adding, “We must recall that Nasir El-Rufai was recently detained by the Department of State Services (DSS). It appears they are systematically targeting anyone perceived as opposition.”

Egila elaborated on the ADC’s self-perceived role in the national political landscape, suggesting that its growing influence is the motive behind the alleged plot.

“As things stand in Nigeria today, the African Democratic Congress is emerging as the main opposition political party capable of challenging the ruling party. We cannot simply write this off as a baseless rumour; there is a deliberate scheme to incapacitate anyone with the capacity to oppose or defeat them in an election.”

Despite the serious allegations, Egila was careful to reaffirm the party’s commitment to lawful conduct. He noted that while the party has received intelligence regarding the purported plan, the specifics of the operation—whether it would be a public arrest or a covert action—remain unclear.

“The African Democratic Congress is a law-abiding political party,” Egila stated. “We are aware of the intelligence suggesting this move, but we do not know if they intend to apprehend him publicly or through other means.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: El-Rufai to be Arraigned February 25 for Cybercrime, Security Breach

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The State Security Service, SSS, will on Feb 25, arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, FHC, fixed the date after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho, assigned the case to her.

The DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Ngpfvuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act, (2024), and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In count on, El Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did admit during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

Advert

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, did state during the interview that he knew and related with certain individual, who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27 (b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety, national security and instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting NSA’s phone communications.
.
The act, which the DSS said, the ex-governor admitted during an interview on Feb. 13th on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja “and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

Recalls that El-Rufai had, during a live interview on the TV station, claimed he overheard Mr Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him, linking the alleged directive to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Feb. 12y after his return from Cairo, Egypt.

The former governor was detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday over corruption allegations.

He was granted administrative bail at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday but was said to have been immediately taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The ICPC’s Spokesperson, John Odey, who confirmed the development in a message shared on a journalist’s Whatsapp group Wednesday night, simply said: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”

Continue Reading

Trending