News
EFCC Hands Over Recovered N837million to Katsina State Governor
News
Army Chief Announces Recruitment Plan, New Brigades
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shuaibu, on Monday, disclosed that the Nigerian Army has established new brigades, battalions and operational units across six states as part of efforts to strengthen security operations and improve rapid response to emerging threats nationwide.
Shuaibu said the new formations were created to enhance the Army’s operational posture, expand military presence in volatile areas and improve responses to security challenges across the country.
The COAS made this known during the opening ceremony of the Chief of Army Staff First Bi-Annual Conference 2026 held in Abuja.
According to him, the Army has continued to sustain an enhanced operational posture through troop deployments, restructuring of formations and the establishment of additional Joint Task Force units in strategic locations.
He said, “The Nigerian Army has maintained an enhanced operational posture through continuous troop deployments, reconfiguration of formations and the establishment of additional Joint Task Force formations and units in critical locations.
“For instance, the 15 Brigade and its affiliated units in Anambra and Imo states, the 12 Battalion in Anyigba, the 226 Battalion in Ganye, Adamawa State, the 247 Reconnaissance Battalion in Mubi, Army Headquarters Logistics Base 4 in Gusau, Army Logistics Base 5 in Ilorin, and Operation Savannah Shield in the North Central have all been established to enhance operational presence and improve responses to emerging security challenges.”
He noted that the measures were aimed at improving operational effectiveness and strengthening the Army’s capacity to respond swiftly to security threats across different regions of the country.
The Army Chief further disclosed that the establishment of the Depot Nigerian Army in Amasiri, Edda, is aimed at supporting the implementation of the Commander-in-Chief’s directive for the recruitment of an additional 28,000 personnel to strengthen manpower levels.
“Additionally, the establishment of the Depot Nigerian Army Amasiri, Edda (Ebonyi), is geared towards achieving the mandate of the Commander-in-Chief’s directive of recruiting an additional 28,000 troops under the expansion programme.
“These measures have strengthened our operational reach, improved response time and facilitated effective intelligence-led operations. Consequently, we have continued to disrupt criminal networks, degrade adversary capabilities and restore relative calm in several previously volatile areas,” he said.
News
Despite Court Order, DSS Takes El-rufai into Custody-Family
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
The family of former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, on Monday, raised the alarm after the Department of State Services, DSS, officials allegedly took him into custody following a court sitting at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
According to the family, the action was in apparent breach of existing court orders directing that he remain in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission ICPC.
El-Rufai’s second wife, Hasiat, who addressed journalists outside the DSS facility, said the family was traumatized by the development and lived daily under the shadow of threats and surveillance.
“We now live in constant fear. Every day we get a threat — DSS is coming to raid your house, ICPC is coming to raid your house, police are coming to raid your house. You are being followed. Our phones are tapped,” she said.
She narrated that earlier in the day, el-Rufai had appeared before Justice Joyce AbdulMalik of the Federal High Court, who granted bail and stood the matter down until 1pm.
During the break, she said, he was briefly taken to the DSS facility — a move he resisted, insisting that two subsisting court orders from a Kaduna court directed that he be remanded with the ICPC.
“He said to them, I am not going to step down because there are two court orders that the Kaduna court gave that I should be remanded in ICPC. Why are you bringing me here? He said, I am not a furniture to be moved,” she recounted.
She said he was subsequently returned to the ICPC, but that after the afternoon session — during which the prosecution sought an adjournment and the judge fixed a resumption for the following day — he was again brought to the DSS instead of being returned to ICPC custody.
As of the time she spoke, she said el-Rufai had refused to step out of the vehicle.
“He told them that if you want to take me inside DSS custody, you will have to physically force me into doing this, because you had an agreement.
“When Justice AbdulMalik said I should go to DSS in the first instance, we told her that there are subsisting orders. And she said, let DSS and ICPC go and decide who will keep him — and you people decided they are keeping him with ICPC.
“What has changed?” she queried.
Hasiat also disclosed that el-Rufai, who has been in custody for 91 days, had been denied access to his personal physicians in violation of a court order by Justice Aikawa of the Kaduna State High Court granting him unfettered access to his lawyers and doctors.
She explained that the ICPC’s own in-house doctor had recommended that el-Rufai run medical tests, after which it was agreed that the doctors would return to discuss the results with him.
That agreement, she said, was subsequently disregarded.
“When you see a doctor and you run tests, you are expected to see the doctor back so that he explains what the problem is. He was denied access to the doctor because in their own explanation, they said Malam was not aware that the doctor was coming. I asked Malam — Malam said nobody told him,” she said.
The family’s demands were clear: el-Rufai’s immediate return to ICPC custody in line with the existing court orders, restoration of his access to personal physicians, and an end to what they described as psychological torment of both the former governor and his family.
El-Rufai’s son and member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Bello el-Rufai, was unequivocal that the entire affair was politically motivated, questioning the stringency of bail conditions that he said were deliberately designed to be impossible to meet.
“Who keeps a person for 91 days? Why were the terms of the bail so stringent that it is practically impossible for anybody to meet? Why do you have to say that Kaduna State Council of Chiefs will have to give an attestation? Why are we saying that it has to be a government staff of level 17, with a house in Asokoro or Maitama? Which civil servant has N100 million?
“What are we trying to do — are we trying to make people come out so that they can be targeted too?” he asked.
News
BREAKING: Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail, Orders He Reports to DSS Monthly
By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa
The Federal High Court in Abuja granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Monday.
The bail was raised up to the sum of N100 million with one surety of like amount.
Delivering the ruling, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik stated that the surety must reside in either the Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja and must deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy for a landed property at the court registry.
The court further directed that the surety must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17 and provide evidence of salary payments for at least three months.
The documents are to be authenticated by a letter from the surety’s bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.
Also, the judge directed the former Kaduna state governor to report to the Department of State Services (DSS) headquarters every last Friday of the month by 10 a.m. to sign an attendance register pending the determination of his case.
Details later…
-
Opinion4 years agoOn The Kano Flyovers And Public Perception
-
Features5 years agoHow I Became A Multimillionaire In Nigeria – Hadiza Gabon
-
Opinion5 years agoKano As future Headquarters Of Poverty In Nigeria
-
History5 years agoSheikh Adam Abdullahi Al-Ilory (1917-1992):Nigeria’s Islamic Scholar Who Wrote Over 100 Books And Journals
-
Opinion4 years agoMy First Encounter with Nasiru Gawuna, the Humble Deputy Governor
-
History4 years agoThe History Of Borno State Governor Professor Babagana Umara Zulum
-
History5 years agoThe Origin Of “Mammy Market” In Army Barracks (Mammy Ochefu)
-
News4 years agoFederal University Of Technology Babura To Commence Academic Activities September