Connect with us

News

ECOWAS Issues Ultimatum and Sanctions in Response to Niger Military Coup”

Published

on

Members of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government, on Sunday, issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Nigerien military to restore constitutional order and reinstate ousted President Muhammed Bazoum into office.

This followed an extraordinary meeting of leaders of ECOWAS member-states at the State House, Abuja, to discuss the happenings in Niger Republic.

While recognising Bazoum as the legitimate President of the landlocked state, the bloc also imposed land and border closures, suspending all commercial flights between Niger and ECOWAS member states.

Announcing the decision, President of the ECOWAS Commission, Omar Touray, said all Chiefs of Defense Staff of the member states will proceed for an emergency meeting to strategise on effective ways to implement a possible military operation to restore Bazoum to office.

He said the ECOWAS will “Take all measures necessary to restore constitutional order in the Republic of Niger.

“Such measures may include the use of force.

“To this effect, the Chiefs of Defense Staff of ECOWAS are to meet immediately.”

Announcing economic sanctions, Touray said ECOWAS has approved the “Suspension of all commercial and financial transactions between ECOWAS Member States and Niger. Freeze all service transactions including energy transactions.

“Freeze assets of the Republic of Niger in Aqua Central Bank. Freeze of assets of the Niger State and the state enterprises and parastatals in commercial banks.

“Suspension of measure from all financial assistance and transactions with all financial institutions, particularly EBID.”

On Friday, members of Niger’s Presidential Guard who perpetrated the coup named General Abdourahamane Tchiani as the nation’s new leader.

Tchiani, who has headed the Presidential Guard since 2011, said Wednesday’s coup is the military’s response to “the degradation of the security situation” linked to jihadist bloodshed.

The military also issued a warning about “the consequences that will flow from any foreign military intervention,” saying, “Certain dignitaries…are in thinking of confrontation,” which “will end in nothing but the massacre of the Nigerien population and chaos.”

#

News

Islamic Scholar Dr Abdul Aziz Dutsen Tanshi Is Dead

Published

on

A prominent Islamic cleric, Imam Dr. Idris Abdul’aziz Dutsen Tanshi, has passed away.

Sheikh Muhammad Kabir Haruna confirmed his death on his verified Facebook account late on Thursday night.

Late Imam Dutsen Tanshi was a leading Islamic scholar in Africa, widely recognized for his contributions to disseminating Islamic teachings across the continent.

#

In addition to his scholarly work, Imam Idris was also a businessman and farmer.

He had been contending with ill health for some time, and recently traveled abroad for medical treatment during the last Ramadan.

His funeral will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday at the Eid Mosque in Games Village, Bauchi state.

Continue Reading

News

Emir of Gaya’s Faithful Endurance Earns Him Reinstatement – Governor Yusuf

Published

on

 

 

Kano State Governor, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf has revealed that the Emir of Gaya was reinstated due to his unwavering faith, humility, and total submission to the will of Allah when he was dethroned.

This was contained in a statement issued by the governor’s Spokesperson, Sanusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, on Thursday.

Speaking at the Kano Government House during a Sallah homage visit by the Emir, Governor Yusuf commended the traditional ruler for the exemplary way he handled his removal from office, describing him as a leader who accepted his fate with dignity, patience, and absolute trust in divine destiny.

“The Emir of Gaya showed true submission to the will of Allah when he was dethroned. He neither resisted nor protested but instead accepted it in good faith and placed his trust in Allah.

“It is this rare display of humility and patience that earned him his reinstatement,” Governor Yusuf stated.

The governor further reassured the Emir of his administration’s commitment to the comprehensive development of Gaya Emirate, noting that efforts are already underway to improve key infrastructure in the area.

He disclosed that a team of engineers has been deployed to assess roads and other critical infrastructure needs in the Emirate, with actual construction set to commence soon.

“Our government is determined to transform Gaya into a modern city. We will start by constructing feeder roads and follow- up with culverts to prevent flooding and improve drainage systems. This is part of our broader strategy to ensure sustainable development across all Emirates in Kano State,” Governor Yusuf said.

He further emphasized that his administration remains committed to traditional institutions, recognizing their role in maintaining peace, fostering unity, and promoting cultural heritage.

In his response, the Emir of Gaya, Dr. Aliyu Ibrahim Abdulkadir expressed deep gratitude to the governor for his confidence and support, pledging to work closely with the government in advancing the interests of the Emirate and ensuring continued peace and stability.

The governor’s decision to reinstate the Emir of Gaya is widely seen as a recognition of patience, humility, and loyalty as qualities that are essential for leadership and community harmony.

 

#
Continue Reading

News

Breaking :Inferno at Northwest University City Campus

Published

on

 

A raging fire has engulfed the Northwest University City Campus in Kano, with thick smoke billowing from the iconic Ado Bayero building. Reports indicate emergency responders are on the scene.

Details later

#

Continue Reading

Trending