Connect with us

News

Nigerian Army retires 15 Artillery  Generals

Published

on

The Nigerian Army on Saturday pulled out 15 Generals of the Artillery Corps who retired from active military service.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that out of the 15 retired artillery officers pulled out of active service at the Nigerian Army School of Artillery (NASA), in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, 11 were of the rank of Maj.-Gen. and four of Brig-Gen.

The Reviewing Officer leading the pack  was retired Maj.-Gen. James Myam, who spoke on behalf of the retirees .

Myam said , “Having come this far, we can only say that we feel highly fulfilled and give all the glory to the Lord God Almighty for his benevolent mercies, grace and preservation over the years.

“I would  like to express our profound gratitude to President Bola  Tinubu, for giving us the opportunity to serve our great nation in this capacity.

“We also thank the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Taoreed  Lagbaja, we pray fervently, for the Almighty God to continue to grant you the strength and wisdom to lead the Nigerian Army to greater heights.

On  behalf of the retired senior officers of the Nigerian Army Corps of Artillery being shelled out on this remarkable occasion of our final disengagement from active service in the Nigerian Army and indeed the Armed Forces of our great nation, Nigeria.

Advert

“Today is indeed a unique landmark for us as we retire to a well-deserved rest after serving our dear country meritoriously.”

Myan recalled that their military careers started when they left their various places of abode across the nation and reported for training as Officer Cadets at the prestigious Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna. “

He offered words of wisdom to serving officers, emphasizing loyalty, vigilance, and security consciousness.

Myan also shared three traits that guided him as an Artillery officer: ”Empathy, proactiveness, and effective communication.

“To those of you who are determined to make the military a career, please note that our country is enjoying full-fledged democratic governance and the era of military involvement in politics has gone and gone for good.”

Myam  urged them  to be loyal to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the democratically-elected Federal Government of Nigeria.

He said  it was apparent that the government has been on top of itself, doing all it can to provide the necessary requirements for the Armed Forces to perform its constitutional roles.

We must therefore understand that the demands of the Armed Forces form a very small sector amidst other competing demands in our nation that require government attention.

“We must also understand that the government usually prioritises allocation of resources based on competing needs of the various sectors, “Myam said.

He said this understanding should elicit your support to government activities at all times.

Myan urged, “You must continue to demonstrate total commitment to your duties to the nation just as you have exemplified in the successes so far recorded in the fight against armed and criminal non-state actors across the country.”

He appreciated the support of their spouses, families, and friends, as well as instructors and mentors.

Myan expressed their gratitude to the Nigerian Army and the Corps of Artillery, encouraging the “Gunners Family” to continue striving for excellence.

NAN also reports that the former Chief of Army Staff,  retired Maj.-Gen. Alwali Kazir, other senior retired and serving military officers were present at  the ceremony.

NAN

News

FCTPoll: ADC Candidate Blames Voter Apathy on Movement Ban, Alleges Agent Intimidation

Published

on

 

By Yusuf Danjuma Yunusa

The chairmanship candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) for the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Dr. Moses Paul, has attributed the low voter turnout in Saturday’s area council elections to the confusion caused by the nationwide movement restriction order.

Dr. Paul, who spoke to journalists shortly after casting his vote at his polling unit, also raised allegations of intimidation against his party’s agents in several wards.

Describing the situation in parts of the capital city as resembling a “state of emergency,” the candidate expressed dismay at the process. “The turnout is nothing compared to what we expected,” Dr. Paul stated. “Having lived in AMAC for about 40 years, I have never witnessed this kind of scenario. The movement restriction directive created a lot of confusion, which I believe is unwarranted.”

Advert

While critical of the overall conduct of the election, the candidate commended the presiding officers at his specific polling unit for their professionalism and strict adherence to due process.

However, he painted a troubling picture of events elsewhere in the council. He alleged that ADC agents in areas such as Takum Shara and parts of Kabusa Ward—including Dogongada and Shereti—were threatened and intimidated, preventing them from properly monitoring the process.

Furthermore, Dr. Paul condemned the prevalence of vote-buying, describing it as a “criminal act” and alleging that the practice was openly taking place in various parts of the Federal Capital Territory.

Despite these challenges, the candidate remained optimistic about his chances. “The will of the people will prevail,” he asserted. “I am confident of emerging victorious. My message to Nigerians is to resist all forms of intimidation and to demand accountability from their leaders.”

Continue Reading

News

Concerned Marketers and stakeholders Urges NMPDRA to Intensify Monitoring of fuel standards in Nigeria.

Published

on

 

Concerned marketers and stakeholders around the country has called on the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMPDRA) to strengthen oversight of fuel standards entering the country whether imported, refined or retailed and dispensed all over the country. warning against the influx of contaminated petroleum products that may have lacked proper octane ratings, sulphur contents and other pollutants.
In a statement issued to newsmen, the marketers expressed concern that substandard fuel may have been imported, refined or sold in the country pose serious risks to consumers, vehicles, and public safety.

The marketers emphasized that the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) mandates strict adherence to safety standards, and approved guidelines for fuel quality, including octane ratings, sulphur contents etc. They noted that fuel with poor octane ratings can damage engines, compromise efficiency, and increase the risk of fire outbreaks.

Advert

Recent incidents of fires at filling stations across the country were cited as evidence of the dangers posed by contaminated fuel. “The standards of fuel imported, refined, supplied and distributed should not be compromised to the benefits of any player in the industry,” the statement read, underscoring the need for accountability.
The stakeholders urged the NMPDRA leadership under Engineer Saidu Aliyu to carry all stakeholders along as stipulated by section 216 of the PIA. They argued that transporters, refinery owners, and importers all have roles stipulated under the PIA. “The Chief Regulator was appointed to execute this mandate,” the group asserted.

The statement further stressed that Nigerians deserve value for money when purchasing fuel. “Ultra-modern refineries, and depot facilities that import fuel must provide fuel with good octane ratings. It is not proper for such facilities to compromise standards,” the consortium said.

They urged the NMPDRA to examine both imported and locally refined petroleum products to ensure compliance with safety and quality benchmarks.

Continue Reading

News

Information Commissioner Meets Civil Society Groups on Governance, Development in Kano

Published

on

Comrade Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya addressing the Press after the meeting

 

The Kano State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, on Thursday convened a strategic meeting with civil society organisations to discuss issues affecting the state and strengthen collaboration with the government.

During the engagement, the commissioner briefed participants on the ongoing initiatives of the administration of Abba Kabir Yusuf, noting that civil society groups play a critical role in governance and policy development.

Waiya reiterated the government’s commitment to inclusive governance, stressing that civil society actors remain key partners in promoting sustainable development across Kano.

Advert

He described civil society organisations as an important constituency, emphasizing the need to deepen partnerships, sustain open communication, and build stronger cooperation between government institutions and non-state actors.

Participants at the meeting described the session as interactive and forward-looking, as stakeholders exchanged ideas on policy priorities and strategies aimed at advancing development in the state.

The meeting ended with a renewed commitment by both the government and civil society groups to continue working together in promoting transparency, accountability, and development initiatives in Kano State.

Continue Reading

Trending